Nomadic warriors equipment

Typical armor of the most nomadic warriors was the hatangu-degel: armour made of soft materials, usually leather. Looks like this:

All of them were armed with composite bow. (Usually nomads started to train at the age of 4-5 years)

All light horsemen had lasso, as their melee weapons they typically used axes, and had a knife hidden under the case for bow.
Heavy horsemen had sabre or broadsword (yes, they were used), a lance with hook to pull enemies of their horses and saadak. In terms of armour they used lamellar, laminar or mixed (formed by both laminar and lamellar scales) armour, called hudesutu huyag. Also to increase the defense they could wear several layers of armour.

nice, that 's interesting, can you tell me from which source the third picture is? The riders engaging…

Can’t say exactly. It is just Persian miniature. I would say that is is 13 century.

These are examples that necessary to avoid.

What do you mean?

Bit later and in another topic. Критика куманов/половцев в игре

Так вы говорите по-русски?

Use English or the “other languages” part of the forum please.

1 Like

No dude the fisrt picture is a Qing Dynasty Armor (AD1644-AD1912)China,this armor is a typical type of Manchu Noble"旗人"'s armor

I expected that. This armor showed on the picture is called kuyak. And late eastern kuyaks were based on hatangu-degel.

O cmon i am quite sure they are totally not related… these are like gambeson

Hatangu-degel is more robe-like.

the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the first picture actually was, “Hey, that looks like chinese armour”

Well, this is armor of Qinq Dynasty. But these kuyaks are based on hatangu-degel.

Well, keep in mind that the cumans in Kingdom Come Deliverance are not in their own country anymore for like 200 years, there were no nomads anymore, but mercenaries of King Sigismund of hungary. But we will have composite bows for them for sure.

1 Like

They may not be at Desht-i-Kipchak for about 150 by the XV century, but polovstians still preserved their culture until they were assimilated by hungarians.

At which year exactly did this happen? :slight_smile:

Yes, they preserved their culture, but they also lost it. Hungarian king Béla IV was giving them some land in 1239, but this was not Cumania, so they had to change their nomad livestyle by time no matter what, and in 1403 they were no nomads anymore. But there is no switch, no date when they lost their culture and when they were assimilated by hungarians, this was a steady process, and there is a lot of change in over 150 years.

Their language and culture ceased at XV century, by the way.[quote=“DrFusselpulli, post:15, topic:29670”]
mercenaries of King Sigismund
[/quote]

They were not mercenaries. They were Sigismund’s vassals and their nobles gave him an vassal oath. Like the polovstians did in XIII century.

So in XIV century they were still full cuman and on the new years eve into the XV century they decided to speak hungarian now and not be cumans anymore? No, it was a long and slow process.

I meant that they were finally assimilated in XV century.