Quick suggestion after latest video update

Hello @warhorse @TobiTobsen,
first I want to congratulate you about that awesome job you’ve done over the past few months!
Surely, last video update looked great and everyone is eagerly anticipating the Alpha!

Meanwhile, I and many others watched with curiosity how Viktor fought against that armored knight. The AI seemed pretty solid and responsive to be able to smash the man who basically created it :smile: Viktor’s only kill came by outsmarting the knight after he got him stuck behind a wooden fence then shot him with a bow. This was very thoughtful of Viktor, but raises some questions about general NPC movement possibilities.

I want to suggest you to consider making any NPC able to jump over small obstacles (like that particular wooden fence). Depending on their age, gender, equipment and skill different NPC should have different proficiency of passing over obstacles. For example that knight should have a hard time jumping over the fence because of his cumbersome armor, but nonetheless he should be able to get past it after a while. This would add to Deliverance so much immersion that many gamers would actually feel like playing against real people, not AI.

On the other hand, this wooden fence will be better if made destructible (in a future release). I know destructive environment is difficult to make and takes a lot of programming time, but it also adds immersion. No need to be able to smash through walls or something, just the possibility to destroy most of the weak wooden objects (lanterns, fences, poles, tree branches) which should come down after a few strong hits. In that particular gameplay situation, the armored knight sees Viktor pulling a bow on him and tries to go over the wooden fence. After a short struggle, the AI realizes that it won’t be able to jump over fast enough, so it takes a few hard swings to the fence with its longsword and destroys a narrow passage to get by that obstacle. In the meantime Viktor may have already shot at him, but maybe he won’t have enough confidence to draw a bow in such short distance because he knows that the AI can get to him one way or the other. Sounds good to me, what do you say?

Maybe even add a carpenter or a repairman role for a purposely made animated NPC whose job in the game should be to take care of damaged environment caused by the gamer or any other NPC. Why not - it is as realistic as possible and is also historically accurate :smile:

Thank you for your time!

2 Likes

I’d suggest using the dedicated thread: http://forum.kingdomcomerpg.com/t/video-update-01-10-2014-feedback-thread/18193/12