Quivers in the middle ages

is this a trick question?

No, I have been traditional bow hunting all my life, Re curve, self, and longbows, and with big game it is especially important to stay as small and un noticeable as possible. Back then they would most likely trail hunt, meaning they would wait at the trails the Elk/Deer/RedDeer whatever the subject may be, but back on topic. They would wait at the trails that the animals would use to go to and from their bedding areas. This was made possible by the constant study of the herds. The trails were easy to find, but they had to know the proper times to sit and wait for them, usually around 10:30, for me at least when i hunt elk in the Reywas in Colorado. This would allow them a constant source of food and a way of making a living.

Lol, dogs were used alot for predator hunting, such as fox cougar and wolf. Deer could also be hunted with the bigger and faster breeds of hunting dogs.

Hi!

Exactly that, if you’re setting up and not moving for a while sticking about 7 - 10 arrows in the ground is also useful, but if poorly positioned or on hard ground, it could be a burden; especially if one wields a longbow as the lower limb will hit the arrows. No to mention being routed from that position means you’ve just lost some arrows (Life over arrows, obviously your life, but as you said so well; every arrow counts). Although I do like what English Longbowmen did to counteract being routed, set up shop properly and use stakes with a unit of infantry covering your flanks.

Regards,
Warrior Rose.

This is more directed at kaerval. Yes, dozens of arrows are not very necessary when hunting with a quiver, and tend to make a lot of noise. I personally hunt with a back quiver and the most arrows i ever bring with me is 4.

Alot of hunters would use back quivers they made themselves, just as a place to store the arrows while they walked. Also a back quiver allows you to not make as much noise because it fits well within your body space, so its easy to keep it from bumping into trees foliage ect. It seems just a bit uncomfortable to have a couple arrows in your belt, although i do almost the same thing as you do when i shoot, only i stick them in my back pocket. I myself use a back quiver, but as any experienced hunter knows, your not going to shoot anything while your making noise, meaning moving around and talking. I will usually sit and call for an hour before i get up and go to a new spot. I agree with your arrow amounts though and even dare to say they are alittle excessive, as most of the bowhunters i know take 3 to 4 arrows with them, if even, to reduce carrying weight and noise.

Hi!

With the belt, it’s not uncomfortable at all, I don’t notice they’re there half the time. With the arrows, I take a nice few because I often go out for a day or two at most and our forests have a large Overgrowth(? Undergrowth?) so I take a few incase I lose a few or they break, but I rarely hunt large game, only really small like rabbits, pheasants, and such.

And for storage, the back is fine, more streamline and all that, but for actual conflicts, a quicker load is a better load (And doesn’t fuck up your elbows as much) But when you’re hunting, you have an arrow nocked, so a second one doesn’t really matter, so a back quiver wouldn’t be too bad in this situation I guess. But for the game itself, which is based around shooting people, I hope they have a belt quiver.

Regards,
Warrior Rose.

Hi!

The best I get is a rabbit going “Oh hey
 S***!” or it’s arse. I may try bigger game soon though. Any tips other than the basics of hunting?

Regards,
Warrior Rose.

Maybe you should try to murder a human also. Perhaps you would feel eve more alive.

Maybe I have

All depends on what your hunting. if you planning on hunting deer or moose or elk, I’m sure you know that animals can smell you from a very very very long distance away, and if the wind is at your back your not likely to see anything.
Along with that, seeing what trails they use the most, like tracks and fresh scat, if you can get the right time of day and the right wind, you can sit down/kneed/crouch, whatever which one of those your comfortable shooting from, and the animals will walk right past you. Be aware that from the time you start to move they WILL know you are there, so don’t think that just because they saw you the hunt is over. From this it is also important to make sure that your movements are fluid, seeing as how sudden, jerky movements can startle whatever may be in front of you. So, as i said, make sure you make a nice slow start and bring your bow up and your finger to anchor, look at the spot you want to hit it, imagine the arrow going there, amd then just relax your fingers. Practice alot to, i usually shoot for a couple weeks before so i can get my muscles used to shooting again. A good practice is to take like a little stick and stick it into your target, then shoot it from five feet away, then ten feet away, and then 20. These are the ranges i shoot my animals from, and this will also help you get good at hitting what your shooting at. Hope you like this!

Hi,

That’s nice, as I use bows almost every day (Traditional, not all this plastic stuff) you’ve got a nice few tips in there :smile:

Regards,
Warrior Rose.

Ya, the plastic stuff is alittle over the top, its like a crossbow you hol din your hand that can shoot 50 yards with full accuracy. if you are of course refering to compound bows.

Hi!

yeah, I hate compounds, and plastic bows & arrows in general. No skill, and not the same enjoyment.

Regards
Warrior Rose.

I have a true hatred for compound user’s, although its only because i was raised in a family were almost everyone was in the Colorado Traditional Bowhunters Society, sadly it no longer exists, but back on topic. People seem to enjoy it but they think they are crazy good archers because they can shoot an apple from 15 yards with a bow. I think that that is pretty impressive until i find out they use a compound bow. The real skill, I think, is in traditional bow hunting were there are no sights and you have to rely on muscle memory to hit what your aiming at, why i practice alot lol.

Hi!

That is a lovely way of putting it. My favourite bow is an English Longbow, 60 pound draw weight with about 28 " 10mm arrows with authentic fletchings. I love shooting at an Arc, it’s just brilliant. Especially when you hit your targets from a long distance. And the buzzing noise of an arrow in flight, with the tuhd of impact. Damn I’m going shooting tomorrow now.

Regards,
Warrior Rose.

I may go shoot now! I shoot a 68 pound Recurve, my father actually made my bow, and I love it because the handle is fir for my hand and the arrows i made or 27 1/2 inches long. I used to shoot longbows, and tried a recurve a couple years later and have been using them ever since.

Hi!

I still love Longbows, they’re just brilliant Arc shooters. I also like Warbows, they’re fun. Recurve is alright but that’s alot more flat shooting than anything else, but nice for targets and such.

Regards,
Warrior Rose.