Real 24 hour clock or..?

Will the day and night cycles be a full 24 hours? or like most games, will 1 hour real time be like half a day in game?

Of what i have heard it will be only 1 hour in real life

Well, I’m all for realism, but I hope it’s the latter.

What if I only play from 10 PM - 2 AM local time? I would never get to shop at most places. LOL :smile:

Real life sucks, quit it. :smiley:

5 Likes

I would like to see time as a variable, with a slider, for those who want to play a 24 hour clock I’d really like options like this.

7 Likes

it’s not synced to real time, it’s in-game time. people sound like they never played games before. or maybe all they’ve played is shitty console games and the concept of dynamic time passage is foreign to them.

5 Likes

I think giving the option is a good idea. But you can’t force it because some people could always be playing at the same times on a regular basis…

2 Likes

you still don’t get it. it’s not “real life” time, it’s in-game day and night cycles. it’s independent of whatever time you play. you can play at night and the game might still be day.

it would be really fun to play at the same hour in real life. There should be quests which can be actived only during the night or in the morning!

1 Like

Nah, don’t want to play at real time speed; 2 hours = 1 day is fine with me…

Dude, calm down. You are very quick to badger people, not just here, but on other posts as well.

Also, we understand that it’s fixed time. Mine was an off-hand, loose example but that seems to be all it takes for you to jump in and insult people. Bottom line, no matter what, if the game was 1 hour = 1 hour, with no option to “wait” like less realistic games, then it would take an unbelievable amount of actual play time to get anything significant done.

Imagine you are on a quest, and are talking to a farmer who’s just started his work day, and says he will meet with you during his midday (lunch) break. What is the player supposed to do for 6 hours until he is ready to talk? Sure you can save your game, and come back later, but since it’s fixed time, that doesn’t speed the clock.

All we’re saying is that tying game time to real time so that the passage of time is equal in both may not be an enjoyable feature.

5 Likes

Yeah, or better yet load an older save where the wallet’s still bursting at the seams. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Should I be flagging this post as inappropriate?
It seems to be telling me to commit suicide!

:smiley:

5 Likes

That game play would suck you would be in bed all the time!

Me too this would be a cool options, cause i can only play after work and weekends. So real team although very cool and interesting, would conflict with me alot. but a slider to adjust the time would be nice to experiment with.

I think (or at least that is how I understand it) he meant a slider that would change the pace of time. Forget about the sync with real (or rather computer clock) time, that was probably not suggested by anyone. By realtime, people meant real pace of time. It would surely be boring. Then again, in some games the pace is too quick. For example, in Witcher 2, close to the beginning you are infiltrating one house stealthily. But if you start at say 3 am, which is still 2-3 hours before sunrise even during Summer, you will end up sneaking in broad daylight (the game does not respond to that, but it feels silly) because the tempo is just too fast. So a slider which would allow you to choose and change the pace of time (from let’s say 1 minute realtime = 30 minutes gametime to 1 minute real time = 1 minute game time) would be great. Plus an option to “wait x hours”.

I think in quests like your example from Witcher 2, the daytime can stand still or goes slowly. I didn’t end up like sneaking in daylight (as long as i remember).

At the last part of the livestream it took about a quarter of an hour from noon to sunset -> so probably 1 day in-game is 1 hour in real-time. And as you will be able to sleep, i’m sure you can easily skip several ingame hours (like in Far Cry or the meditation in The Witcher). So you won’t need a stupid slider.

I honestly would prefer an in-game clock that was longer than a half day in the game is one hour in real life. Sometimes those feel like they pass too quickly. However, a real clock is just too much, and gets grating sometimes.
Just an extra hour or two towards the in-game clock would be preferable for me.

Dan Vávra said in some Czech interwiev that day will last 1,5 hours and you need to sleep at least once per 2 days.

A lot of recent games with day/night cycles seem to go with 1 in game minute per 2 real life seconds (48 minutes per day). I imagine this will be similar.

While a real-time game would be pretty cool on one hand, as someone pointed out above you have the problem of it taking ages for a quest start time or shop opening time to roll around.