Real 24 hour clock or..?

I think that’s too fast.

I’m for 1:12!

5 min real time = 1 hour in game.

This would be more reasonable, I think.
Nights wouldn’t be over in about 15 min (in 48 min cycle).
So you have more time to get things done while it’s dark. :sunglasses:

1 night = ca. 8 hours -> 40 min real time

Not too long, not too short.
Overall day time would be 2 hours (120 min) real time.

8 Likes

Yeh, I’d like to have that option (i.e.) slider as well, would be super awesome.

I would like time to be slow enough so that you cannot see the sun’s shadow moving across the ground at a rate that is obviously very fake. It really bugs me in other games like The Witcher.

Yeah, would definitely want a 1 hour equals 24 hour clock, 24 hours will honestly suck.

In Skyrim, the gametime factor was a global variable, you could set using the console. That would be fine with me. By default it was set to 24x realtime. I think it depends a lot on player style. I personally prefer 8x realtime, but I like to walk from place to place, instead of running.

The problem is that everything is kind of compressed in games, so players don’t have to spend ridiculous amounts of time on swordtraining, travel, eating and so on. With a 24hr gameday, it would feel like no time passes, and considering the estimated time it takes to complete act 1, you would have saved the world in a day.

IMHO Devs should make a option time slider, so everybody will be able to choose a in-game time frame that suit him.

Personally, I prefer the complete day/night cycle to be around 3 real time hours, but time advances to occur only when playing (not like in a MMO).
To proper reflect the Central European time (where the in-game action occurs) - in summer time the days are a lot longer than the nights. From what I’ve seen in videos so far the in-game action takes place in late spring or summer, so it will be proper if Devs indeed make the day longer than night. For example - 3 real life hours cycle, 1:45 day and 1:15 night.

IMHO they shouldn’t. They will balance game day/nigh, need of sleep and time to do things player can do to make sense and be as difficult as they want to. And as I said. For now its going to be 1,5 hours = day and you need to sleep at least once per 2 days. Otherwise you get negative effects (which can be influenced by alcohol and some potions).

My best guess: game time may - on a grand scale, generally speaking - not pass at a universally constant, linear pace, so there may not be a single constant or adjustable compression factor by which to multiply real time passing to get the equivalent in game time passing. Nor may there, as a consequence, be strict time-of-day synchronization. This is not 24, folks. :wink: Tedious, repetitive and uneventful activities without mandatory player interaction like sleeping, eating, healing/regaining health after having been wounded/exhausted, fast travel between map points visited before may be compressed by a much greater factor (say 48x to 12x) than interactive, first-time activities like quest-related travel, fighting, hunting, some mini game activities which may pass considerably slower, in a time frame much closer to real time (say 8x to 1x). There might even be time-less activities or states, during which no game time passes at all, for example while studying your inventory, within setup menus or while a -pause mode- has been activated.
Just my 2c.

Real life wouldn’t really sync up with the game. Its not like you play for a whole 24hrs. Unless there is a real time zone sync but even that would have problems like if you played only at night and it would only be night in your game

yeah, it’s strange. people here never heard of day night cycle in games?

It even seems that some people haven’t played any games yet. Otherwise they won’t suggest game-time to be synchronous to real-time.

1 Like

There are actually games that are synchronous to real-time. The one I can immediately think of is the newer pokemon games. There is an internal clock in the handheld DS that when you set the time of day the game counts and cycles through morning, evening, night, etc at the same pace as real-time. You could always change the game clock to set a different time but originally it is synched to real-time.

This is obviously just an example that isn’t really related to the game of KC but some posters are acting incredulous at the notion that games are synched to real-time when in fact some are.

I would suggest to also sync the weather…

yeah, and stellar constellation and phase of the moon …
And not to forget date synch: If the battle is in summer, we have to wait some months for it.

1 Like

Well, during some activities it could feel strange if time was compressed by a considerable factor: you probably wouldn’t want to be able to travel a distance of say 4 to 5 in-game kilometers on foot in a real-time frame of 2 or 3 minutes (resulting from a compression factor of 30x…20x), even if this equalled a game-time duration of 1 hour (about the duration it might take a reasonably trained adult male in three-quarters plate armour in medium terrain in real life to regularly cover this distance). Seen from 1st or even 3rd person perspective the surroundings/landscape would be rushing past you. A compression factor of 3x to 2x would be much more appropriate here, to be able to stroll or walk around instead of unwillingly having to run everywhere you merely want to go - but then again, you shouldn’t have to idle for three to four real-time hours to get the equivalent of a good night’s sleep in game time, obviously. :wink: So of course, game time will pass in a non-linear way, depending on your activities and influencing your character’s simulated day-cycle.

This reminds me… I hope you can’t just run forever.

Lol sorry to post such a debated topic. and i only asked it cause i hear/see “realistic RPG” so natural to wonder, just how “realistic” are we talking here. Will i have to eat 3 meals a day? sleep every night? Do stretches before i engage in physical activities? Haha these are jokes, but you get my point… i hope :stuck_out_tongue:

You DO have to eat and sleep regularly.

I wonder how long seasons in game will run for. Every month in real life = change of season in game.