Real life medieval combat

Hi,

We are reenactors group from Poland. We are really looking forward into this project

Here you can find some highlights from our last training: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VkJM_61SyE&feature=youtu.be

We will be posting new movies. If you would like to see some wepons in real action, write here or on PM, we will film it and post it. Also if you have some question about fighting techniques ask!!

Maybe we can work out something here for ingame combat system.

Wataha

PS. cant get it to combat system category, can someone move it there?

2 Likes

It’s moved. However I don’t know if you’ll be able to respond to this topic. If you can’t respond now, please write a PM to me and I’ll change it back to the Story category :slight_smile:

Flail, flail would be cool…

So it will be flail, we will prepare some video with flail fighting.

People would also like to see the flail in the game, but it’s really complicated to implement.

What makes this game stand out is that every pairing of weapons like sword vs. sword, axe vs. sword, dagger vs. sword and so on will be treated as unique style of fighting. If you could create a kind of series which focuses on the benefits or advantages using certain techniques for specific pairings to land or block more hits, then I (and I guess the team of Warhorse) will be very grateful.

1 Like

Sure, no problem. We will repare pairing of weapons. Hope i can post something on monday.

Flail is also compliated to fight, we will try to explain it mechanic as best as we can.

Also we can do horse fighting, horse archery.

2 Likes

For start we did some sword buckler vs sword buckler fight(our goPro discharched before we recorded it, so its only form cellphone, will put better movies in future :slight_smile: ).

Main advatnage while fighting with this set is buckler. When you fight vs other weapons you try to rech with shield boss opponent hand with weapon. It prevents him from delivering hits(you also can crush his fingers :wink: ). You need to use your shield also as a weapon.

Also you got many interesting techniques with using your sword guard(best works vs sword). You try to block enemies hand with your sword guard(pull it down, so he can’t attack), stun him with your shield and then deliver deadly blow.

With your sword you try to reach places where armor is light. You attack, and then cut(pull) your sword, so you can cut through neck, knees, elbows etc.

While fighting vs heavy armor your shield will do more harm when sword, You are faster then heavy armored man, then you try to shoten distance and attack his head with shield( I can assure you he will get dizzy for a while), then you try to get him to the ground, after that he can’t stand up, so it’s easy target to finish(Oberyn tought so while fighting Mountain :wink: )

While fighting vs 2h weapons you need to shorten your distanse, best way is to parry with your sword, pull enemies weapon to your right side, block it with shield and attack with sword.(we were training this technique here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NXU4NGGhlw )

Getting all this into the game, important things are:
-you need to have ability to control your buckler- blocks/attack
-while fighting against heavy armor/2h weapons you will mainly dodge attacks
-aiming vital body points while attacking with sword - wrists. knees, elbows, neck, underarm
-when you hit with sword you can cut with it to amplify dmg
-blocking with your sword guard, pulling away enemy weapon
-aim enemies hand with buckler
-have ability to quickly shorten your distance beetwen you and enemy

3 Likes

I really would like to see some axe combat and its quite hard to find any material about axe fighting even that axes are used since dawn of time in warfare. I guess that there was no official schools or styles like swords has and thus its almost lost art this day.