Realistic archery

One of my favorite hobbies is archery and I would love to see just as much attention paid to making the archery as different and realistic as the melee combat. I don’t know how this can be done, and I wouldn’t want to hope for something that’s to unrealistic to ask of a video game, but in every game where there is a possibility to use a bow, I do, even if the game play is lame. I have yet to play a game where archery is portrayed well or even close to realistic, and to be honest, it usually isn’t much fun at all. In skyrim for example, I used basically only the bow, don’t get me wrong that game is a lot of fun, but all you do for archery in that game is put the guy in the cross hairs and release the trigger, you don’t feel like any amount of skill went into it. In Kingdom Come Deliverance there seems to be quite a lot of attention to authentic hand to hand combat, and I just hope that just as much of that attention is placed on archery, making it hard but also rewarding.

75 Likes

I 100% know your views on this lol, archery is amazing and I do love using a bow in games (Warframe, Skyrim), and it would be great to have fully realistic archery in the game.
Wind, gravity, type of arrow head, fletching and your skills at being about to use it, perhaps how you move the mouse to show you sliding arrow on and notching it, but that part depends on how they are going to do it.
Would be great to know a bit more on how they are going to do it.

4 Likes

While I am not an expert in Archery I thought Mount and Blade had a very fun archery system.

When you pulled back a bow you have a window of time before the crosshairs would get “bigger and bigger” (simulating the pressure of holding back the string on a bow and the wear it places onto your arm if you keep holding it).

IT also has arrow drop and other physics attached to archery.

On top of this it uses rpg-mechanics and character skills to influence archery (aim, strength, etc).

I think building off something like that and incorporating things from real archery would be a good stepping stone for a good archery system.

21 Likes

@rightful walker: I am a archer too and i understand your pain.

In every game I played, the archery was always overlook and done too quickly by the programmer.

There is a lot of good ideas here for how to make it work nicely.

There is an other thing that is bothering me: the arm placing in the screen. (sorry for maybe unclear statement, english = second language)

When an archer shoots, his arm need to be in opposition one to the other. (as seen in this image). So the shoulder should be moving in the middle of the screen, and it should be easier to walk from side to side while shooting. Again, when walking, aiming should be harder, but with practice it would improve.

I’m a student in physical education, part time archer, and i’d love to help improve the realism of archery.

Feel free to ask any question if my message isn’t understandable.

And thanks again for developing this game!

10 Likes

I agree with this so much! Archery is also my favourite thing in every game, and in real life as well. I absolutely agree with you STILER, I think Mount and Blade archery is the most realistic archery I have ever seen in a game to date, and if Kingdom Come can pull it off, it would be the best thing ever!
They have hopefully already considered this because in one of their videos they said that Kingdom Come would have some things from Mount and Blade incorporated into it.

3 Likes

@Rightful​Walker
@Fridolin

Haha, here goes another archer.

I don’t expect a simulator but definitly yes, I hope a complexity in the archery more or less similar as the melee combat, in terms of player skill not in movements and combos xD.

I expect (I’m not native english speaker sorry) distance angle compensation, no crosshairs(Or the possibility to remove them), as someone said above, and a shakiness system similar at M&B would be good.

My proposal is (Maybe too much for a game xD):

Something similar at War of The Vikings / War of The Roses (a pulling system) but also with a breathing control system (Not too complicated, more or less like in the actual shooters, pressing shift to stabilize the weapon) and arrow drop over distance.

Maybe I’m freaking out by my passion but i think it’s possible something like this:

1 String Pull meter (Photo 1 WoTV)

• More power = More damage/piercing and less arrow drop but more slow pull and stamina cost.
  • Less power = Quickshooting and less stamina cost but much more drop and less damage/piercing.

2 Stabilize breath (photo 2, generic shooter)
-For a short time you can stabilize you arms and weapon to shoot well.

3 Angle compensation and arrow drop (photo 3, grotty mobile game)

4 shakiness when pulling for too long.

5 Without crosshairs and a good POV for shooting.

16 Likes

I would love to see an actual difference between types of bows and also arrow heads. For instance a bow with less of a pull weight would be easier to shoot but you would lack the power and range of a heaver pull weight bow, and for arrow heads you would need to change out your arrows depending on the situation. You would use a different type of arrow for hunting versus shooting a person with chainmail or leather armor.

23 Likes

+1 I would love to see it

1 Like

string pull meter is immersion breaking, pointless ui clutter. i think we can judge how far the string is pulled by the sound, animation, and how long we hold the mouse and visual feedback such as shakiness, tension, etc.

you want realism and no cross hairs, but a colorful bar? come on, now.

23 Likes

Without knowing anything about how to program archery to be more realistic, it might be interesting if the mechanic took you through a bit of trial and error to “learn” better aim and distance estimation without putting in meters and crosshairs and things like that. At the least, if someone needs something like that it could be available as an option, but as a player I’d like the idea of getting some sort of feedback like a controller vibration if I’m holding the arrow drawn back too long. Otherwise, you have to learn how to take a better shot on your own.

The idea makes me think a little about L.A. Noire and their clue system. They had the option to turn off all hints of any kind, which I found worked so much better for the purpose of actually trying to think and act like a detective casing a crime scene instead of just walking around until something flashed for me or played a sound to let me know I was close. I might miss a clue, but the realism of that particular thing felt right without help.

1 Like

Lol, I didn’t say " I WANT THIS, LIKE THIS" was an example. What a I was trying to say is that it can be done in a relatively easy way. But of course if it’s possible I prefer what you describe, sir. It would be much better but also much more difficult to implement.

I would love a decent archery system, but I’ll be satisfied with at least what I described.

Cya!

1 Like

I’d love to see different arrowheads and realistic physics. Everything else would be a bonus:)

4 Likes

100% behind realistic archery. In Skyrim I have to completely disable the crosshair to make archery rewarding. Real arrows can do awesome damage, but stupid crosshair makes it too easy to hit an enemy. OR they make arrows heavy as hell and one needs to aim too high above the target. I’d love to see proper and not overlooked archery in Kingdom Come.

1 Like

Well I on the other hand loved the archery in skyrim. Yeah its simplified, you need to get to closer range to even hit anything, you could release it early, or wait a little bit for a stronger punch. But that wasnt necesarely what I liked, it was the ragdoll of the people after the arrow landed. So I hope it will be similiar to kingodme come. Not necessary bouncy ragdoll, but for people to strugle on theyr feet when hit by an arrow.(as shown in video) Or part of the armor to fly out when hit. That would be nice.

I dare to say Chivalry has a “realistic” archery. You cant hold it forever. You start to shake. Croshairs are basically non existent. And it takes a while till you prepare the arrow. But thats not much fun.

1 Like

Agree with all of this, I occasionally do archery (when it’s warm out), and I really like the War of the Roses archery mechanics. No crosshairs would add some good challenge for long-range shots.

1 Like

war of the roses archery is abysmal. it falls in a straight line.

In the pursuit of realism, this realism thery often lost. Yes, you can each time nock one button, hold your breath another look at the wind indicator and pray to the gods. When it tired? a hundred shots? A lot of games have failed for similar reasons.
In life, no need to think when and how to breathe and if you possess good bow, I believe all these small details too reduced to reflexes. if converted RPG into simulator, nothing good is obtained. All these moments can be replaced by skills, and while not got them really have to suffer.

Not really talking about arrow behaviour, more about the actual bow and how you can only hold the string for a certain amount of time before you start shaking and losing power.

Another archer here ! , agree with this wholeheartedly, if the focus on sword play is realistic, archery needs to be too.

It would be nice to have something more like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zGnxeSbb3g.
The other links under it are quite nice, especially this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o9RGnujlkI
It sure would be nice to finally be able do to something with bows other than the traditional pull, wait for max power, release, and if you didn’t wait for max power, it’s useless.

Edit: You can dig more on lars andersen and his journey to uncover the lost art of archery ^^

4 Likes