Realistic Health Regeneration

The Alchemy is going to be realistic and the ingredients are going to have the same role and effects like in real-life, so I think that these things are going to me implemented to the health and healing.

Why not just skip the healing period if you’re seriously hurt?

Go to bed, take some medicine to set the healing rate, leave bed in a few weeks (a second or two in-game) having missed any quest appointments you were hoping to reach during that period. Learn not to get seriously hurt again.

The game seems to start demonstrating a system pretty much exactly like this, which is great.

3 Likes

That’s a really good idea, but perhaps only for a “hardcore” mode. Having such a system even on easier difficulties might put some players off.

I’ll have to agree with @MeevarTheMighty idea for healing a serious injury. I think that missing quests, appointments, etc. would be a fitting punishment for someone who recklessly injures themselves in battle. The overall goal of the game is realism and being seriously injured should have some form of negative consequence since in those times, as some have previously stated, being seriously injured equaled death in most cases.

1 Like

I really do hope that a “hardcore” mode is implemented in the game although I fear it wont be with Daniel Vavra’s previously voiced distaste with different difficulty levels in games.

Would be awesome to see a new kind of health system here. Forget the health points, scratches shouldn’t be able to kill you, because you’ve just taken a beating. I wanna see a system, where you die, the first time your face has an intimate moment with a lance, no matter how much endurance or vitality you have. In the real world, you get better at defending yourself, you don’t just learn to take more hits.
I really want to see something realistic here.

4 Likes

I think something like the DayZ health system would be nice. It’s relates your health to your blood level. You loose blood and have to refill it by eating and drinking or other methods. But before it you have to stop it and bandage the wound. You take medication to lower the risk of infection and to fight illness.

2 Likes

IMO Your health should only regenerate when you eat food or consume an item designed to “restore” or “heal” or when you sleep (and then only in increments depending on how long you sleep i.e longer sleep = more health regen)
If you are referring to being able to stand still for a few minutes and my health bar regenerate then absolutely not. I hated this mechanic in games such as Skyrim. No Health regen please!

OTOH Health degen from wounds to imitate bleeding effects would be awesome.

agreeed! I want that too

I would like a system where when you get stabbed and if you are vitally wounded you would die if not you could bandage it with a towel or something (and not use stuff that didint exist that time) that would save you small amounts of time before death. I want a realistic game here so if you get stabbed by a sword you should have something that indicates how much you are bleeding and how much time you have left. (if you didint get help in time) you should die. (and I dont want the indicator too be on screen I want the screen too become reder after you start too bleed out.) Thats my opinion

1 Like

Separation hand - cca 2 minutes

It would be interesting having “realistic” needs for food, drink and sleep as well. Too less food, dring or lack of sleep would probably not be good for your Health… This would also create a better market for food, drink and lodgings as well.

True, I broke my left arm a month ago, cracked upper arm bone clean across and ends were mis-aligned. They put in steel plates to hold together. I have nearly full range of movement now, although it still hurts in some positions. I still lack strength in the arm, have problems opening jam jar or cutting bread. No way I could use a shield. Physio says I can start strength training after six weeks.

For the game to remain fun I think they would have to shorten recovery times considerably to several days. I realise hardcore roleplayers would be disappointed in this so maybe some sort of healing slider could be in the options, to adjust the time this takes?

As already said, realistic is not possible due to many limitations, first being the time frame this is playing in. The only things I don’t want to see are the “get into cover, wait 10sec and be at full/more health” and “just eat 100 cheese wheels and continue fighting” everything other than that will be good =).

They could have it where you go get bandaged up to a certain point, you wont be at max heath. And over the next day or so your health will be back to max.

Yes, I fell of a bike and broke both of my elbows 3 days before Christmas. Now, I can move pretty much without problems, but the right arm, which was a bit dislocated does not have full strenght yet and the doctors told me not to do any sports before half of March or so. And then I will have to do some physiotherapy since I cannot stretch the arms entirely yet.

In other words, if you wanted to make it realistic, you’d have to spend weeks or months of game time recovering from almost any injury you can suffer in a fight. And that would be rather boring and also all of the story would simply happen without you in the meantime.

This is another great example of where taking realism too far could really hurt the game. @MeevarTheMighty is on the right track here. There needs to be some sort of punishment for getting seriously injured, but no one wants to lay in bed for months in-game.

Agree about taking realism too far. Maybe i should have titled this thread differently, but I was hoping to start a discussion about what people don’t like about unrealistic health regen common in a lot of games and how far Warhorse should go towards making their system MORE realistic, not completely realistic.

If I am in a serious battle and get seriously injured maybe my health max is lowered and will recover slowly, and it might take a few in-game days to get back to normal with good amounts of food, medicine, and sleep. During this time period I could do non-combat-centric quests or exploration, but there would be a real downside to getting seriously injured.

1 Like

It seems quite a few people like the lowered “max” health as a punishment for having a substantial injury happen to them. If you have played Dark Souls before then maybe a system that is similar to being cursed? The overall health is permanently hampered until you are de-cursed. With KC you could do something similar to that system where your health gets progressively lower until death unless you are bandaged/healed.

Getting a large cut across an arm would hurt sure, but you could continue on with a simple wrap. Now, a week or something from the injury and that simple cut is now infected and you are rotting. That’s something not as easy to continue on with.

This has to go hand in hand with the saving system though. If the punishment is too severe, players will load up a save before the fight, unless they can’t. Either that, or there should be an incentive to go on with an injury. Like a nice scar earning you respect with other fighters or something. But that just opens up a way to abuse the system.

The penalty of death is usually “Go back to your last save, and try again”. If getting injured meant a long-term debuff, I would probably just wait until my enemy killed me entirely.

I would personally be fine with a system like this:

• You get injured (serious penalty, danger of bleeding out)
  • You stabilize (penalty reduction)
  • After a meal and a good nights sleep you’re as good as new (penalty removal)

Of course a wound would have to be serious for an injury to happen.

This is still a bit drastic though. I understand that the game is also meant for fun, and this system limits the player a lot. Warhorse is probably going with a much more standardized model, and I think I would like to be able to turn the system off as well, so I think this is more suited for modding.

EDIT -
I have some modding experience, and the basic mechanic should be fairly quick to implement over a basic health system. It becomes a lot harder when we’re talking custom models and animations.

2 Likes