Separated hose?

The hose in the game are two separate pieces, but weren’t 15th century hose usually a single garment to cover the front opening?

Here I Cough Cough Ahem, excuse me…

Blows dust off violently

Here, this old thread may be of some service. Do not be fooled by it’s commonplace appearance. For as with many things it is not what is outside, but what is inside, that counts :wink:

2 Likes

Rather than fishing through another thread, I believe joined hose didn’t get introduced until a little bit later in the 15th Century.

There WERE examples of full pants prior to the 15th Century (IE the Germanic/Norse wore trousers), but those were a distinct fashion style.

The 15th century is a long period.

100 years long to be exact.

Fashion changed during the 15th century as it did in all other centuries. We have to keep things in mind things like time, place and personal preference. This game is set in 1403 so just at the beginning of the 15th century. I am not completely sure whether joined hose were introduced by this time but some people in the other thread suggested it was. The game is set in Bohemia which is the Eastern part of the HRE. New fashions and fads usually emerged in Western Europe (France Burgundy) and Italy (however regional styles were always prevalent). Keeping the previous two things in mind we have to realize that the first people bringing this new Fashion to Bohemia would be well traveled or rich people, not farmers in a small village and the local blacksmith. Personal preference and practical considerations also play a part. If you walk around London in 2015 you might catch sight of something called “skinny jeans”. They are supposedly fashionable but not practical for dockworkers in London (they probably don’t find them fashionable either). 15th century Bohemian farmers face the same problems/questions in regards to this new hose.

To answer your question: I don’t know
Will we see it in game? Maybe but you have to take the above mentioned into consideration as to who will wear it and where.

Extra reading: http://wp.bymymeasure.com/803/split-and-joined-hose-in-the-late-14th-century

2 Likes

I completely understand your point here, but to be fair this particular thread is mostly made up of actual substance rather than idle chatter. This is a pretty informational thread and is worth the time to redirect to it. :slight_smile: :wink:

1 Like