Skyrim - Kingdom Come Deliverance?

Skyrim was(still is) awesome, but KCD seems to be better at most aspects, like smarter NPCs etc. Warhorse is putting a lot of effort to make this game as close to reality (keeping it fun) as possible but I don’t know if gamers will appreciate that as most backers do…

I honestly hope KCD becomes a massive success and other games start going down this realism path. A few years back I dreamed about what would be my dream game, well… it was an RPG, set in the medieval era, with stupid no magic, just me exploring the world, like as if I had gone into a time machine! I’m going crazy just thinking of playing KCD with the Oculus RV (I read somewhere that it will be supported!)…

Can you imagine playing games like KCD but in ancient Greece (ie. during the Peloponnesian war) or in the newly discovered american continent, or maybe during the war of the roses in Britain!?

Do you think KCD will be such a huge success as Skyrim was(is)?

3 Likes

KCD deserves better than Skyrim.
I always though that I play skymri bad way because I played through whole main quest and still was low level with little perks. Bad quip and all.
I did not critizise the game because everyone praised it.

But recently I read article from Dan Vávra, “100+ reasons why Dan Vávra hates Skyrim” or something like that. This opened my eyes, I realised that I played the geme the right way, but the game itself sucks.

So according to work that was put into it KCD is already better.

2 Likes

I always fail to see why people think Skyrim is so great. All i see in it is a boring story dumbed down combat and terrible AI. Sure mods made it playable, but even with mods it still just didn’t feel like a great game. When i went back and played Oblivion i realized just how dumbed down the dark brother hood and thieves guild quests were in Skyrim. The dragons were a huge disappointment with them being one of the easier things to kill in the game, and the final boss was a joke.

The more i see and hear about KC:D the more i get excited. If KC:D can pull off half of what they’ve promised i think it will blow Skyrim out of the water. Sure some people may refuse to touch it because it isn’t easy like Skyrim or a fantasy, but i think KC:D will sell really well because i think most gamers are simply tired of half finished easy games at this point. Ive seen a lot of dedication from Warhorse, and it seems like they wan’t to create a fantastic game not just a mediocre game that can be shoved out the door quickly.

1 Like

The best thing in Skyrim, at least for me, is the absolute freedom you get, and beautiful world you can travel through. I just like tourist simulators, so Skyrim is right down my alley. Yes, I agree with a lot of things Vávra mentioned in his article, but still, that doesnt make Skyrim a bad game. BTW dont take everything Vávra says as a word of god, because he likes to criticise everything, especially AAA games, and his critique sometimes sounds like nitpicking. And if KC:D will be as popular as Skyrim? I dont think so, at least first acts wont. The Elder Scrolls games have a lot of history, and are incredibly popular and known. KC:D still has to find its own place on the market, and properly get into the minds of gamers. It simply isnt fair to compare something with 20 years of history and sort of a cult following, with completely new IP.

1 Like

I agreed with a lot of what he said. Sure the concrete thing may be a bit nit picky but a lot of his criticisms were valid points. People get extremely defensive when it comes to Skyrim and the funny thing is they can never really tell me why its such a great game.

It depends on how much coverage it gets. Warhorse probably wont take all the money that was meant for development and make a fancy trailer that misrepresents what you can do in the game. (something a lot of AAA games do now a days) Im wiling to bet most of their coverage will come from youtubers which is a fantastic way to get your game out there.

Well i bit exagerated.
I surely do not take anyones word as word of god.
But he made some points in his article i did not even knew that could be taken as mistakes/errors/bugs.

Well I already told you a few reasons. Another one would be that its an First person RPG, which are, or were not so common. It also blends action and RPG elements rather well. You can choose more playstyles, and they all are done pretty well. I am not going to tell you that this game has some sort of hidden potential, because it doesnt :-D. Its sort of like an action movie, you dont need to think too much about it, its fun, and you can easily get in and out of it.

Well, Warhorse already did a teaser, which looked like CGI, or something close to it. Every developer, who wants to sell their game, is going to try to make it look as nice as possible. Sometimes even lie, and this isnt something only AAA studios do.

It would be great if youtubers covered this game. The best coverage the can get in the beggining is word of mouth and good reviews on or off Steam. This game has a lot of potential, and Im sure it will find its place on the market.

Ps. I forgot to mention. The the lore of The elder scrolls games is incredible, and can get you really excited if you choose to study it for a little bit.

1 Like

A lot of people here are not familliar with Vávra being a known sort of hater on popular games on Czech gaming websites :smiley: so I tried to explain to them, to not take everything he says too seriously. THe best opinion you can get is your own.

Hmm care to provide proof? Even if he is a lot of games coming out recently deserve heavy criticism. To me it just sounds like you’re butt hurt he insulted your precious Skyrim.

Well if you understand czech, check out Fight Club on Games.cz, in every episode he is in, there is a lot of negativity going on :smiley:. Skyrim is not precious to me thank you very much. Its just a game that I enjoyed.

1 Like

Well i don’t understand Czech. How ever i still believe you are getting overly defensive about Skyrim. Most people viciously attack you if you say one little thing about it.

Skyrim was a mass market success, a game that a million gamers might play and then just as quickly forget about and move on to the next mass market game.

KCD will be a niche success. A game that many fewer gamers will play but they will play for many years to come without looking for a replacement.

Im not trying to be defensive, its just a counter argument, so this wont turn into Skyrim hating circlejerk. That game had some good and bad aspects. But overall i just enjoyed it. Its not some horrid disaster some people try to make it into.

1 Like

Well for the sake of Warhorse Studios we should wish and pray this game wont be a niche success :smiley:

i think it’ll be a success, but not as big as skyrim, and that’s simply due to bethesda brand name recognition, forceful marketing, billboards in cities, advertisement on every popular game site, things like that, and the fact that most people have no taste.

2 Likes

Those that argue that Skyrim is a horrible, bad game are full of themselves. Simple as that. There may be aspects they don’t like, or things they wish are better, but everyone who claims they dislike it have probably put 100+ hours into the game. You don’t play a game that long if it’s such a horrible, bad game.

Skyrim didn’t sell that many copies for no reason. Sure, there are a lot of people that will buy the “popular” game, but there are lots of popular games I, and many others, have zero interest in. So this alone cannot account for its success.

Elder Scrolls isn’t popular because it’s popular, ya know. It’s a solid franchise, that, without a doubt, has its ups and downs in regards to decisions Bethesda makes, iteration to iteration. But when I look at myself, who has put 300+ hours into Skyrim, and dozens of people on my friends list who have put 100+ hours into it, it’s pretty obvious that people are getting enjoyment out of the game.

I will be the first to stand in line to critique aspects of Skyrim (or the Elder Scrolls as a whole), and how this and that should be better, but that doesn’t negate the fact that Skyrim, when it came out, was a solid game, and still is a solid game. With that said, there’s obvious room for improvement, and one can only hope the next Elder Scrolls game will make strides, and, in regards to KCD, let’s hope that it’s superbly better than Skyrim-- whether the sales figures “say so” or not.

1 Like

I didn’t see anyone here say Skyrim was a horrible bad game. The main issue i have with Skyrim is that its hailed as a revolutionary new game that has never been seen before. Skyrim does nothing new and actually took several steps back from Oblivion.

Just because a game is popular doesn’t mean its a great game. Otherwise call of duty would be the greatest game on earth.

Overall i would give Skyrim a 6/10 which is an average game in my book. A 7/10 or 8/10 when its heavily modded. I don’t Skyrim is a horrible game but i don’t think its a great game either. Its a decent RPG but its not a revolutionary never before seen master piece.

And the fact that everyone keeps trying to compare KC:D with Skyrim is annoying. People always compare new games to Skyrim so when the game finally comes out and is nothing like Skyrim people hate it even if its a great game.

1 Like

What about comparing Kingdom Come to Morrowind, the grandfather of Skyrim? Because that was released without the today’s mass market appeal and rather fits the classification of a “niche” (some would say: hardcore)-RPG. The “huge success” in selling large quantities of a product - like Skyrim did - will not be reproduced by KC:D, not enough publicity, not enough image, not enough mass conformity.

Well I personally haven’t played Morrowind and since Skyrim is the only game (from the ones I have played) that comes close to KCD I thought of comparing the two. I believe KCD will be much better, but I’m afraid it won’t get the attention it deserves!

Sorry but I am a person who hate Skyrim.
Not for his feature… only for his boring voices (german version)
and the bad Script language with his many traps! :smile:
The Second point is the non cooperated community.
It was better in Oblivion Times.
best example, Unique Landscapes AiO Package
and the person who forced them to that package! (myself :stuck_out_tongue: )
First time it was amazing.
The landscape, dragon, armor, quests
but then the game falls into a OP.

1 Like