Story: Historical Background & Story suggestion

I just want to make one correction - Otokar I. was not, as you have written, the first king of Bohemia. There were two before him, although their title was not hereditary. The first king was Vratislaus II. in 1061 and than Vladislaus II. in 1158. The Golden Bull of Sicily made the title hereditary in 1212.

“Ruler” would be much more accurate to what I suppose you were willing to tell…

I think @LordCrash was already accurate, because Wenzel actually was “king of the romans” …

LordCrash:
You cannot understand what happened in Bohemia without taking the events in Hungary, Croatia, Bosnia, Italy, Austria, Poland and Germany into account.

@Bivoj @Ulfberht
Ok, you want to split hairs?
Truth revealad: There was no Germany at that time! :stuck_out_tongue:

I like media that leads me onto other media I would like. For example this game, I don’t know anything specific about hat area of the world, in that era. Now I am motivated to find a book on it.

1 Like

Try this:

So … since when there was a Germany in your opinion?
(just to split the hair even more :P)

You don’t know? 1871 :smile:

Before that it wasn’t unified just some loose alliance.

I thought you were German then you should know this.

1 Like

It was meant as a geographical location, not as a political state (but you know that of course)… :wink:

So if the “German Empire” is already “Germany” …
…why is the “Kingdom of Germany” not "Germany?

I don’t know about old German but old Czech is quite different from the modern one, so firstly most of the Czechs wouldn’t understand it and secondly it would be quite difficult to reconstruct it, because majority of the contemporary texts were written in Latin.

Its pretty much the same with the german language. It would take a lot of time, experise and effort to implement historical accurate language in the game, which would be a waste of energy and money in a way because today’s native speakers wouldn’t understand anything (or very little).

Yes, I know that. The question i have asked 18 days ago wasn’t meant to be taken that seriously.

Some people refer to the battle of the Teutoburger Wald as the begin of german history. And the Holy Roman Empire was temporarily called “Heiliges Römisches Reich Deutscher Nation”.

I’m not a historian but first of all, it wasn’t a nation (in the territory weren’t just Germans and there was no unitary awareness etc.). Secondly, the king called himself King of East France, the Teutons, and the Romans. Thirdly, it’s made up by English people, that’s why there’s no German entry.

Of course, they can do that. But it’s also not Germany, it’s a moment in german history. Nothing more.

It isn’t as simple as you say. The “empire” wasn’t really an empire. There was no real unity. Just a loose conglomeration of kingdoms, duchies and free cities etc. Each with its own laws and so on. Every monarch did only mind his own business. I have a tome about capital punishment in Germany¹. There it states that criminals escaped just to the next city which most of the time had another jurisdiction. It was that easy, they couldn’t do anything about it because: other ruler, other laws. Empire in this case is just to refer to this conglomeration even if it wasn’t a real empire.
Also, the emperor wasn’t really the chief or something. In 1530 a new criminal law was agreed at the Diet of Augsburg under Karl V. In 1532 the Constitutio Criminals Carolina² was ratified. What did the monarchs do? Many of them ignored it because the punishments weren’t severe enough to their liking. They kept older laws, from the Sachsenspiegel or something.

¹

²

I think this is the answer to my post: :smiley:

We could argue much longer. There is for example a German entry but you woudnt like the title. We could speak about what you mean with the word “Germans”. And we could speak about the terms “rex germaniae”, “rex Germanorum” and “germanica lingua”, which are all mentioned in importand documents before the year 1000. But there is no end :stuck_out_tongue:

I think there is no clear point in history where you can say “Now it is Germany!” It is a increasing progress of many centuries…

1 Like

Interesting, great post, thank you! As a hungarian I immedeatly looked up for history of that time (i remembered Sigismund or Zsigmond as we know him). I do hope you can choose his side. Anyways, in reply to other posts: it is impossible to determine if the state of “Germany” existed those days, state and nation meant very different things than for us today. There wasn’t even nationalism, at least not in nowadays form! I agree with @Ulfberht on this matter, with the additions i made. BTW: this is the best way to create interest in a country and teach history! :slight_smile: (the Czech goverment should provide benefits to the team! I wonder how many will seek out the places where the story will be played as tourists some day…)

1 Like

I’m going to do that. I hope there will be some signs and plates with references to the game and the (hi)story…

Edit: BTW: I agree with you. I mean the things you say about “Nation state”

I didn’t claim to be a historian or somebody who knows everything.
Just wanted to chime in in your (and Bivoj’s) hair splitting conversation. :slight_smile:

I’ve learned in history lessons that there was no real “Germany” before 1871.
There was a revolution in 1848 which failed because the king of Prussia declined the emperor’s crown. Also, monarchs of the countless duchies etc. didn’t want to lose their sovereignty. That’s also a reason why HRE was weak. There was no unity.
Regarding unified countries Germany was very late to the party. Other empires had finished this process centuries before and because of their concentrated and centralized power they were able to establish huge colonial empires. Also, they had more of a national thing going on, unitary awareness etc.

Here you can see German states on either side of the belligerents (right column):

Number of German states ranged from 294 to 348 (that’s insane!):

This is (by this I mean this view) is mainly becase of the different socail view I mentioned in my post. It is hard to beleive for a nowadays folk, but until 17th century no such thing as nationalism existed (simply states and nations were based on different foundatains). For example an ancient greek did not know the “greek” nation and a medieval commoner did not care much about the “nationality” or cultural differences between one another. In Hungary the official language for example until late 18th century was latin (to be changed to german by the Habsburgs). In my opinion nowadays nationalism is just a survival of “enlightened absolutism” (donno about the correct word for it, this is a mirror translation of the hungarian expression for it).

Well thats not true, german language hasnt changed so much over the years. You can still read and understand a german text from 14th century and even older. And the people in the german speaking territories understood themselves as germans long time before 1871. There was a kind of unity, it was just not one state but many territories. And since 10th century there have been emperors and kings reigning over these territorries some mighty, others not.

But I’m not for implementing historical accurate language, too.