[Suggestion] - NPC walk/action speed buff

Hi guys,

Firstly a job very well done, game looks stunning.

Can i suggest that NPC walk speeds and general action speeds be increased?

Life in the mediaeval ages for peasents was one of continual struggle. People were under enormous pressure to put food on the table, etc etc.

Currently the NPC’s in the game walk around like they’re at a holiday camp. Strolling as opposed to busily going about their business.

Likewise the farming/smithing actions. Slow enough that they look like they’re hobbiest farmers/smiths.

TL;TR: Make NPC’s do stuff faster. Make them move like their lives depend on it, which it did!

Too fast walk and run speeds are unrealistic, that’s why I am against your suggestion.
In a matter of fact, Henry moved way too fast in 0.1 Alpha, especially with his sprinting.
I haven’t played 0.2, hope devs fixes all movement speeds to a more normal and real life values.

1 Like

I’m not talking about Henry’s walk speeds.

I specifically mention the NPCs.

My issue is that they appear to be cool and relaxed, strolling around the place.

Life in a mediaeval vilage would have been much more hectic and this should be reflected in npc movement/action rates.

1 Like

Aaah…
No.
They most possibly got up with the first light of the Sun, and worked hard, when it was time for this, so in times of tilling, building, producing cheese, bread, harvesting and whatnot, but this does not mean they were on ecstasy. There were things to worry about in the country, but those things remained there even if you worked in haste. And even if you do, what would be the point? You would tire yourself out, and - again - working much and working fast is two different things, for the latter there is no need.
Honestly, I do not understand what you just ask.

3 Likes

Still they probably moved with more urgency because they had to get their work done before sundown.

1 Like

from my experience doing long work periods, you generally want to pace yourself, especially with hardy tasks requiring endurance and energy.

i think medieval farmers would have understood this concept so as not to tire themselves out too quickly, and suffer heat stroke or other shot term disabilities.

2 Likes

I could understand pacing yourself and walking slower but i think the animations of the legs could be sped up. When i watch the npcs walk it looks like they are almost in a slow motion.

Most of the animations have this slow motion effect, look closely at your feet and or shadow when you jump. During jumps you can actually pull your jump causing the animation to react more slowly.

I am hoping this gets fixed as they work on more motion capture with the new setup, but who knows if those animations were just temporary.

1 Like

no, not fixed yet but I think in next alpha we will be able to slow him down. Cause he is literally running around all the time

Unless using a game pad.

Sorry if I didn’t get some new infos, but is this walking/running pace of Henry still a thing or is it settled now? The NPCs move so lovely, so why do I run with the speed of a slow pick-up or very fast bicycle through the roads?

Henry walks in 0.3 slower than in 0.2. But he is a little faster than the NPCs.

It´s a compromise…

Farm people don´t rush for nothing. That is a very diferent pace of living.

History texts sai that in the begining of industrialization one of biggest problems was to “adjust” the rhythm of imigrants from country lands to the urban areas. Not that farm people are lazy, but the rush in human life is an urban thing.

2 Likes

We are.

As a modern day countryman… We’re lazy as F@ck. Seriously, it is a no pressure job. Our lives don’t depend that much on it! Our crops take a long time to grow, so we can afford to be relaxed and have a good time; literally watching grass grow.

Back then, a farmer would have his crop line(s) or field(s) if he was lucky and plant his crops for the seasons. As you can’t eat those crops yet, you’d have a small amount of livestock such as geese, pigs, and other such small livestock. You would always have two pigs at least. They are the agricultural must for a medieval farmer. They literally turn your scrap food, whatever it is, into meat! An added bonus is piglets, extra money and food.

Please tell me we have the same walk speed now… I can’t take games where you’re Usain Bolt reborn.

1 Like

Sorry, you are the fastest on the road. You walk 50% faster than any other NPC.

1 Like

@TobiTobsen Why do this to us? Why are we Usain Bolt?

@Warrior_Rose I guess the QA guys want to get their work done way faster. I mean, they should have codes for teleporting but the world is too beautiful to simply skip the scenery.

2 Likes

Okay, even I can’t be mad at that. Well said!

It´s not “be lazy”… it is an advanced smart management of the relation between effort/time & optimized results lol

1 Like

My first post on these forums was exatly about having same walking speed as NPCs.

Recently I finished Witcher 3 and even in this great game, there were instances wheh you had to switch between running and walking to stay close to your “walking companion”.
But It is much less problem when it is 1st person game.