The issue of acurate historical clothing and how to implement it in the game

yeah i know what you mean but it just a tech alpha. I’m thinking the hoodies would be more used if it rains or cold weather sets in. but that would be in future builds of the game.

It would be nice if head wear would be commonplace again. The sun is really strong where I live, so being to wear a broad brimmed hat made of felted fur would be nice.

Woah, black in medieval times on a peasant. Yeah, that would be unseen of. Black is probably the rarest, most expensive colour during this time period, due to there being no naturally occurring plant that produces black dye. The cloth would have to be dyed with another colour, like blue woad for example, until it became dark enough to be black. That would have been a massive expense.

What about carbon or ink from mushrooms?

1 Like

Carbon, as in carbon used in pencils? How would you get that to set in the fabric? And would the ink from mushrooms make a “true black/jet black” as we know today? It is very likely that whenever there is referral to someone wearing something black it might just as well be a dark shade of grey, brown or blue.

I was going to say there are dyes used from the countless mushroom species that produce black spores, but even so it would not have been commonplace enough not to be extremely expensive.

Im not postive on the processes but black ink can be made from charcoal glycerine and alcohol.

Ill try to look up some resources but black ink has been used by many tribes in their tattoos since like the dawn of tribal society.

Where were these tribes located? Unless you take Ibn Fadlan’s accounts completely literally, Europeans hadn’t had tattoos in a long time by the 15th century. Using cultures from different time periods and geographic locations as an example to justify something being present in a completely different place doesn’t work.

Charred ivory for bone black pigment dissolved in turpentine?

I don’t know I am not a painter.

That said black paint and clothing were in use during the renaissance and late medieval period a lot in higher layers of society so there must have been a source for true black.

When did I do that? you do realize that every known human culture has experienced a tribal phase and the act of dyeing is dated back to the Neolithic period.

Indian gooseberry, is accredited to black Dye.

From the small amount of research I have done it appears Formal Black (rich in depth of color) was only common in Spain until the 16th century when Spanish fashion trends took popularity in France and England; also it was a long and laborious process.

Looks like black dyes were known and used in many places around the world except in Europe.

Black clothing was popular in the 15th century too. Partly popularized by Phillip the Good the duke of Burgundy.

And his bastard son.

and his legitimate son.

And then there is a multitude of English kings clad in black

Don’t forget about the “beloved” king of France.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7c/Carlo_VI_di_Francia,_Maestro_di_Boucicaut,_codice_Ms._Français_165_della_Biblioteca_Universitaria_di_Ginevra.jpg

Of course the whole black thing wasn’t limited to just Western Europe. It seems the HRE didn’t have problems with black clothing either though it seems to have been an early 16th century fashion rather than a mid 15th one.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d8/Albrecht_Dürer_-Portrait_of_Oswolt_Krel-WGA6934.jpg/471px-Albrecht_D%C3%BCrer-Portrait_of_Oswolt_Krel-_WGA6934.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a9/Albrecht_Dürer_-Portrait_of_Bernhard_von_Reesen-Google_Art_Project.jpg/412px-Albrecht_D%C3%BCrer-Portrait_of_Bernhard_von_Reesen-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Yes amongst royalty and the otherwise wealthy.

The debate was its use amongst the common wealth, not whether or not black dye was used.

The reality is it was just too expensive to be a common place.

That’s the point I was trying to make.

What made it cheap in the 16th century?

That is indeed a very good question I don’t have an answer to.

Exactly. Characters and clothing are currently the least finished visual area of the game. All heads are just placeholders, clothing range is limited and not final quality.

Oak Gall makes black dye.

Dunno how accurate this site is, but here’s an exert for ingredients that can be used to produce shades of black:

– Iris (roots)

– Sumac (leaves) (Black)

– Meadowsweet makes an amazing black dye.

– Blackberry

– Butternut Hulls

– Carob pod (boiled) will give a gray to cotton

– Oak galls – makes a good black dye.

– Sawthorn Oak – (seed cups) – black

– Walnut (hull) – black

– Rusty nails & vinegar – set with Alum