To all the KCD environment artists: you've done amazing work!

The title says it all - from public media / gameplay videos and full HD screenshots I’ve gotten from a friend (participating in Beta), I can honestly say - KCD environments are one of the best looking of all time.

Having been to Czech and currently living in an Eastern European country, I especially relate to the forests - the layout captures the landscape and the atmosphere (depending on weather) so perfectly. You know, cruising past a forest reminds me of times when I used to play Hide & Seek with my friends (ah, the careless childhood :)) in almost identical places. This brings severe nostalgia.

And I thought The Witcher 3 had the best looking forests - but, no, KCD rivals it.

Congratulations, Warhorse. You’ve done one of the most amazing and realistic environments of all time. As a whole, it’s astonishing, everything seems to fit together and serve a purpose.

A huge thank you for the environment artists / designers for letting us to finally walk in an authentic medieval terrain unlike no other before! Cheers!

22 Likes

Best environment ever made in a game.

1 Like

Truly the best looking forests in any video game.

I agree the best I have seen so far in a game.

Rivals? More like “surpasses it with flying colors, and then some”.

Awesome work everyone! Yes, the forests are amazing, and I love the rain! Honestly, I can’t wait for the chance to stalk the forests of KDC in pursuit of larger game than rabbits! Just can’t wait to see it fully fleshed out! Grats for a job very well done!!

5 Likes

One thing I just had to add. It seems, based on what I have seen from many games in the past, that water is one of the hardest things to reproduce well in a game, but the KCD team has done an absolutely awe-inspiring job in this regard! The pond near the bathouse in Talmberg is so darn realistic, my jaw dropped the first time I saw it! It looks just like the fish pond back on the farm where I grew up! Amazing work!

1 Like

Don’t forget that fluid rendering / “fake simulation” (we’re not talking about realtime calculations here, ofc :smiley:) is somewhat inherited from the engine. Water in Crysis always looked amazing. Cryengine has amazing visuals, but I’ve heard bad things about the engine’s piss-poor documentation and architecture.

I suppose Warhead has received a large amount of consultation and help from Crytek’s engineers, so they managed to overcome the “obscurities” quite fast to make some huge modifications to the core.

Agree wholeheartedly!! Was just about to create a new thread saying the same thing, but then I saw this one :slight_smile:

They really do nail it! I love the look of the landscapes, the hills, the fields, the forests. Those streams! It really looks like a lived in landscape, not like a crazy overgrown jungle (cough Oblivion cough). The settlements, the architecture, all look amazing as well. And I also love that you can even tell quite clearly what the flowers, bushes and trees are supposed to be, and how actually natural the natural environments look.

and the barrels, that they’ve ‘fixed’ since the alpha, hehe. :grin:

Seriously Warhorse, absolutely amazing work!! Well done, and keep up the good work!! :smile:

3 Likes

I live near Portland, Oregon and the forests in the game look amazing like what’s in my backyard. I especially like the leafs floating down from the trees. In the morning, the way the sun slants through the trees is amazing. I don’t know much about computer games (new gamer) but the amount of detail in the scenery is staggering to me.

Great job with the graphics!

2 Likes

Hello Neighbor!

It was one of the first things that really blew me away was walking around the forests in game and it being almost the same as the forest here at home.

Really makes immersion that much keener when the environments are similar.