Tournament mode?

Hello, well it says that ‘‘We are proud of the innovative combat in Kingdom Come: Deliverance. While our title is primarily a story-based game, the combat mechanics are very deep for those that are interested in seriously honing their skills. If we reach this stretch goal, we shall add a special Tournament mode, where you can don any equipment you like, choose your opponent or opponents and enter a medieval tournament and try to win by authentic rules.’’ Will it be like a normal tournament where you can win something, coin, weapon, fame? Or is it just like a custom battle where you just 1v1 some guy?

6 Likes

good question…! :wink:

@YuusouAmazing do you have any information on this matter?

That would be really awesome if you could increase your fame via tournaments. Coin is always a nice reward for a job well done, but going into a new village and the people already having heard of you is a great feeling.

2 Likes

@MINTEEER Maybe @TobiTobsen does. I can’t tell how this feature will be implemented.

2 Likes

I’d always thought that this mode was going to be totally separate to the actual story itself, and may/may not involve Henry?! If it is indeed a totally separate game-play mode, then surely that would mean that rewards be they arms, armour, fame or coin, would not necessarily directly translate over into the story mode of KCD.

I’m just speculating though… this is just the impression I’ve got whenever Tournament mode has been discussed (which in fairness hasn’t been a great deal). But without a doubt, in an ideal world I’d love for it to have a crossover, with direct impact in-game. :trumpet: All hail Henry, Champion of the realm! :crown:

I’d love to find out more… it’s been a big question on my mind since it was first touted as a stretch goal :smiley:

Greetings my dear friends.

There is nothing sure yet… but right now we plan to do a separate mod. But the design isn’t ready which means it’s still not written and probably won’t appear in the first Act. On the other hand we have still some time to think about this feature and implement it properly. How would you like this feature!? What could you imagine?

3 Likes

Medieval tournament mode, I guess most people here are not about just fighting, its about more of a reward when winning, fame, money or something else? If he is a Champion, people would give him respect, or blacksmiths would seek him and give him weapons for free. Maybe even jousting, but IDK how hard that would be to make so I would not expect this in 1st or even 2nd act. Would be a cool idea tho to gain fame through this, or a title, nobles would recognize him and instead saying ‘‘Ohh its the blacksmiths son Henry’’ to ‘‘Ohh its my brave Champion Henry’’ or something similar.

This may be an insane idea, but offering a gambling based system where players, who don’t want to participate in the tournaments, could watch and bet on the npc’s competing in the tournaments with either friends/allies or make an underground bet with some unruly gang, bandits or brigands. Better yet, if you use your speech skill and convince some brigands to let you bet more gold than you currently own and you lose, then you could end up forced into doing them a favor (I.e. Murder another character or steal an object) or they attempt to find you afterwards to attempt to kill or severely beat and rob the player.
Anyways, that’s my suggestion.

Even though I like your ideas. they seem to require months of programming and development! :slight_smile: It’s like making a new game! :slight_smile:

@TobiTobsen The question more or less is: What can we expect from the tournament mode?

1 Like

A lot of fun and joy! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

When I first read about the tournament mode I had expected it to be the demo of combat that we would get prior to the game, that’s because I didn’t imagine it having anything to do with the Campaign.

From the description of the stretch goal I got the impression that this was going to be a way for us to practice combat and familiarize ourselves with the various weapon types of the game.

I saw it as a realistic version of the Deadliest Warrior Game. Pick your Enemy pick your weapon learn to lose and then slowly learn to win.

4 Likes

…and…minne service…? :slight_smile:

I would like to have the option to face multiple foes. So say im getting destroyed in a mission in the story by some knight, his buddy with the short sword, and that pesky little bastard with the dagger and hatchet. I think it would be an awesome way to train if i could go into the tournament mode, spec out three guys with the same armor and weapons, and then just practice practice practice! It would just be so much easier to have the arena mode then having to start over at your last save every time you lose that fight.

Edit: Nevermind! it says opponent or opponents.

What is the point if it isn’t connected to the actual game? How could their be a reward if you can’t use it? “Here, have some money you can’t spend.”

Am I mis-understanding something? Why on earth would it be made separate? :confused:

Because the devs couldn’t think of a way to make it fit with the story. Obviously people did hold tournaments in medieval times, but not in an out-of-the-way village in the middle of a bloody civil war. As for the rewards, I don’t think there’ll be anything which affects the main game - it’s just supposed to be for fun.

1 Like

Good point … shame :confused:

I thought their was going to be one large city? Even if it’s in the second or third act, I’d rather wait than not have it in the actual game. I don’t see why they wouldn’t hold tournaments, commoners need distractions, and a tourney would work very well. It doesn’t have to apart of the story, but just a thing you can do. Why would it have to be story related?

We may have to wait to see it either way, Act 2 & 3 are still a long way away. The thing about stretch goals is they are a “maybe”.

I don’t have any strong evidence for it but things like tournaments would have been on hold in areas currently seeing war. So our main storyline revolving around a civil war may be an issue here, also because this is story based we run into the issue of time; its my under standing that it only takes place during the late spring/early summer season.

We also don’t know yet if Henry will be able to establish reputation worthy of entering a tournament. It’s my understanding in order to participate in such events one must be of Nobility.

These are all things that conflict with it being apart of the main Storyline/campaign.