Walking pace and running

Interesting. Games are like Lod? [quote=“ProkyBrambora, post:1, topic:8533”]
In lot of games (no matter how lod
[/quote]

Lod
Defined by Wikipedia: Lod is a mixed Jewish-Arab city 15 kilometers (9.3 mi) southeast of Tel Aviv in the Center District of Israel. At the end of 2011, it had a population of 74,000.

The name is derived from the Biblical city of Lod.[2] In 1948, after the Israeli conquest of al-Ludd, as it was known in Arabic, most of its Arab inhabitants were expelled.[3] The town was resettled by Jewish immigrants, most of them refugees from Arab countries,[4][5] alongside 1,056 Arabs who remained.[4] Lod is known today by its biblical name.

Haha ( For those that don’t know LOD when all caps stands for level of Detail, context means so much)

I think something between 6 and 7 km/h should be adequate for fast walking, I agree. That should be a good speed for a trained warrior who carries a lot around and wants to be able to fight anytime.

With a walking speed of 7 km/h you would need about 25 minutes to cover a 3 km distance.

With realistic horse speeds you should be able to cover the 3 km in about 12 minutes with a light two-beat trot (at 15 km/h), in about 9 minutes with a three-beat gait (at 20 km/h) and in about 4.5 minutes with a gallop at full speed (at 40 km/h)…

I imagine these people of this age would be far better than us, so i imagine a slightly faster pace than the sporty people now a days

I don’t think so. Perhaps they were better trained but also they didn’t have the roads and streets we have today. And of course they often had to carry more stuff with them than we usually have to carry around today. So I think in the end the walking speed should be pretty even…

I’m limited more by stride length and cadence than I am by ‘effort’ or fitness, and I’m around the average height for older populations (a bit short by modern standards) at 5’6".
I seriously doubt that exceeding 7.2km/h average/flat on made surfaces is practicable. On the other hand I maintain 6.5km/h or a little over all day 55km+ on footpaths, ancient greenways and other semi-prepared surfaces… which would approximate the conditions expected on our in-game paths and roads.

I have a little bit more ‘stretch’ to permit around 8km/h when walking on made surfaces downhill, but this is difficult to maintain on more variable surfaces and drops off on very steep slopes. Uphill… I have plenty of strength and fitness to maintain my 6.5km/h speed up to around 16% grade indefinitely, and 25% for short bursts. Steeper slopes up to 40% are walkable, but speed falls off rapidly.

I’ve never met anyone while out who has been walking as fast as this*, so averages are probably a fair bit lower. It is possible that a person could walk faster while retaining a normal walking gait, but only if they were noticeably taller, & with longer legs.

*and sometimes overtake joggers…

My shoes are only ‘store bought’ and not as good a match to my feet as the simpler whole grain hand made boots I had for a while a decade or so ago. This factor may work in the favour of the period character so long as he can keep them in good repair and replace/repair when worn. Still I don’t often get any kind of blister or other foot problems, unless walking for hours in wet weather.

If they could maybe do the system you just said but fixed it to work better that might help.

I would love to have the same system as in the Arma series. Being able to switch between walking and running and then having a sprint button.

Another thing that would be cool is to be able to freely look around while still moving in the direction that you’re going by holding down a button. Also like they do in Arma.

This makes me feel in absolute control of my character and I feel way more immersed in the world.

The issue with walking pace is that you can’t walk. At least I can’t. I can only run at 2 speeds, fast and shot out of a cannon, like fast forwarding a video. This really ruins the game experience for me. the world is beautiful and very atmospheric as long as you are standing still, but the moment you start moving, that is over. It ruins the immersion in the game and actually is giving me a headache. There are several comments already over on the Steam forums about this. I hope it is fixed soon.

1 Like

In fact the running and sprinting speeds are quite realistic. But the walking should definitely be there also.

1 Like

Maybe it differs from computer to computer, but the run speed for me is comically fast, no one can possibly run that fast. As I said, it’s like watching a video on fast forward. The problem is that there is no walk speed.

I agree with you - most other RPGs have this issue. Alpha Deliverance misses the ‘walking’ option, as it only has ‘running’ and ‘sprinting’. IMHO they are not perfectly optimized. It is an alpha, I know, but this should be made clear:

I would suggest to @warhose @TobiTobsen the following thing regarding movement speed:

1 When the team implements ‘walking’ in some future patch, it should have the same speed for both Henry and every other NPC. Of course, given that some hardcore RPG mechanic won’t be applied to calculate walking speed :smile:
2 In the current version, default ‘running’ speed is too fast. When I check the character shadow on the ground, it behaves as if Henry is sprinting. Given the fact that this doesn’t consume any stamina (and it should), it isn’t very realistic to jog around with 16-18 km/h all day every day without breaking a sweat.
3 As far as ‘sprinting’ is concerned, it is also too fast. Maybe Henry is an olympic runner’s predecessor :smile: , but nonetheless ‘sprinting’ feels faster than usual in-game. Besides, ‘sprinting’ consumes too little stamina as of current version. Maybe it will be OK in a future end-game playtrought when Henry has been developed after an agile character and his running stats are maxed out, but I don’t consider this to be the case here.

Thank you for your attention! By the way, the Alpha looks great! I’m sure Warhorse would make the game of their/our dreams!

2 Likes

You’re right on almost all points, but even at endgame status Henry should not be able to move that quick like in the current alpha build, it’s almost like a car racing game.

1 Like

Sorry it is my opinion and i don’t know why Warhorse Studios haven’t insert a walk key into alpha?!
But i don’t know why it needs to be discussed?
Insert a walk key to keyboard Stettings and READY. Not more not less!
and make a [REQ]uest Thread :wink:

I think it needs to be discussed because it’s a serious issue. From what I understand so far, it’s a bug. Hopefully it is fixed soon and we can move on to other aspects of the game. It’s a fantastic looking game world, the most realistic looking that I’ve ever seen, the detail is wonderful.

1 Like

It’s not only that there isn’t a walk key but additionally that the run speed feels a bit off.

1 Like

it was a kind of joke :wink:

I agree with you! Personally, I also don’t want Henry to be able to run as fast as now or to be able to do it as long as now even in end-game.
Said this just to avoid a flame war with some more ‘childish’ forumists.
Glad there are people who support my observations on the Alpha! Thank you!

i’m not sure if they plan some feature for middle mouse button, but i’ve seen that being used in a game called splinter cell for speed adjustment. it works fairly well.

in the livestream presentation, some npcs moved slower, some faster. they might carry that over to the game proper. so having one walking speed isn’t ideal either.

but a toggle between run/walk is fine as well.

I’m in the minority who think the run speed for Henry is just fine. There’s going to be a big world to explore. Even in the alpha there were plenty of places to go to and take in the beauty. I believe that moving at a pace similar to a human walking would aggravate most common gamers.

2 Likes

I would agree…if there isn’t other modes of transportation. My goal is to use the Oculus Rift with Kingdom Come Deliverance and a more accurate (not completely) movement speed is more ideal. So long as you keep walking under 10 miles an hour you should be fine.