Want real journalism?

This is in response to an interview I just real with DanieVavra. http://techraptor.net/2014/09/12/interview-daniel-vavra/

Alright Daniel made several GREAT points. Things that journalist, news anchors, bloggers, and youtubers have been doing that make me (and I hope you) sick.

1. Question: “Are women well represented in the gaming industry? Not as characters in a game, but as developers, designers, etc.”

My Comment: Where the hell did that come from? What does that have to do with his game? Why are you people OBSESSED with genitalia? Seriously nothing stops women, homosexuals, trans, or any sex/gender from getting into the game industry. What do you want there to be international laws DEMANDING x% of these people, what’s next deciding where people work and who they work for. Seriously “journalist” take out your brain, wash off the bias, put it back in, and get your bloody head on straight. This is not the thing people care about!

1. Question: “Is misogyny a problem in the gaming industry?”

My comment: Are you calling him a misogynist? Define misogynist. People are individuals first. Their own beliefs and actions shouldn’t be discriminated against. I don’t care if someone is homophobic (and I say that as a gay man) do why the hell should anyone care if someone is a misogynist. We gamers, men and women alike. Just want to play a good game that we can enjoy, and yes we can enjoy a game with a female or male protagonist (I enjoyed FF X-2 for instance) however a game developer should design a game using the role that fits the narrative best! Tales of Xillia is a great example. You could choose two main characters, but as a result their story was very uninspiring and after one playthrough it wasn’t even worth playing again. Had they going with only one main character I guarantee you the game would have been better for it.

Now I now those were a couple of long rants so I’ll cut that off here. What do you people think? Are you sick of all this BS, should we not go back to a journalism that shares our interest, not some sort of politically correct BS?

Pretty much what #GamerGate is fighting for on Twitter now and unearthing behind the scenes on forums and image boards. I think those two questions are relevant now because of the consumer revolt going on now against video game “journalists” and corruption in the industry.

Gotta say the good fight is going well :D. Recently backed to show support and that this game is looking promising.

tl;dr for those who do not know.
Why the journalists? It is no coincidence that 10 sites on the same day pumped out the same kind of article. Milo Yiannopoulos a Breitbart Technology writer uncovered last month that collusion was going on which proved what people suspected for years right that something fishy was going on.
Source: http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/09/17/Exposed-the-secret-mailing-list-of-the-gaming-journalism-elite
Twitter Tags: #GamerGate, #NotYourShield

It looks like you are not aware of the background of that interview. These questions HAD to be asked, because the whole interview is related to the #gamergate affair, which is about other journalists who accuse gamers and people who don’t agree with them of mysogyny and sexism against women. That particular journalist actually did a pretty good job, that gamesite is one of a few which gives opportunity to #gamergate supporters to express their opinions.

2 Likes

yup in light of that I agree with you (realized it after the fact) however that interview did highlight my own thoughts well enough. I did find it interesting that the interview had a disclaimer on it though :stuck_out_tongue:

Yep, that disclaimer is pretty stupid and really unnecessary. They have it on every interview though.

Do not be upset :slight_smile: … a phenomenon of our time. Journalists / reporters should report and inform. The process of opinion formation is up to the user. Most of today’s journalists see themselves as judges or public relations genius. When a test is played like that o.k. to be. But not in the interpretation of statements during an interview. But this discussion comes 15 years too late, the train has departed.
Eventually, no one wants to hear this twisted Ramblings, it does not bring progress.

Well, #gamergate started out as a case of corruption of journalistic ideals in rating games. Then the whole tag was hijacked by the Social Justice Warriors of the alleged “feminist” stance (has nothing to do with real feminism)…

But originally, before it was misdirected, the whole #gamergate scandal was about games journalists that had written great scores for mediocre games, for reasons that had to do with publisher relationships, advertiser deals, fear of losing early access. I wouldn’t call it surprising though. Just apply Edward Hermann’s and Noam Chomsky’s study of the mass media to the subject of games journalism, and the product is the exact same as is for all other news. As described in the book “Manufacturing Consent” - except you could call it “Manufacturing Great Ratings.”

Listen… Oculus VR’s Palmer Luckey and John Carmack faced exactly such a question at Oculus Connect.
Palmer’s response was very cautious… but John Carmack’s response was brilliant and completely defused her whole self-righteous demeanor. The way she asks her question, you can tell she feels very proud of the question, as if it has some kind of truth-seeking value. Carmack’s response is golden.

1 Like

Wow, how do you port a specific “sex” into a technology…will the oculus rift only work if you have a dick? I missed that part of the design lol.

Well, the whole story is slightly different and little bit more complicated, but I won’t go into detail, i’ve already written too much about it on this forum. :slight_smile: The fact is that SJWs were part of the #gamergate issue from the beginning, because they are one of the examples of the journalist bias.

10 articles in one day on a single topic… collusion? Corruption?

Um, no. Paid Placement (known more popularly today as “native advertising”).

You cannot win a battle if you’re not focusing on the actual target… the entirety of the “sex” question is distraction. The real target/issue is the subversion of journalism by advertising.

Yes, we see that. But how should you bend the discussion back? Should we stop defending ourselves, which means that we *accept the accusation *?

In our digital world, it has become easy and inexpensive to make your own newspaper / magazine. Every blogger with a handful likes given feels called to be a journalist. Some succeed and make it to the light of public opinion. Guess it goes with most of them not to journalistically clean, researched information but attention, clicks and reach to justify Banner Advertising. Such one-man-bands then write each other’s “highlights” from each other. (We had sometimes do so earlier, but at least called the source):wink:

Does this need answering?

Anyways to me this whole gamersgate debacle or whatever it’s named now seems a lot like two groups arguing different things completely oblivious to what the other party is actually talking about.

It’s almost like one person stated; “apple juice is unhealthy” to which someone else replied “No gas chambers were found in Auschwitz” followed by two months of arguing their own points and making personal attacks on what they believe people disagreeing with them.

It’s quite like that, except you don’t need to use made up examples, it’s much easier with a simple reality.

One person states “stop pushing politics into games and report objectively”, to which the other person replies “MUUSHOOGYNYY, SEXXISMMM, HARRASMENNTT!!!”

1 Like

Yes but made up examples are lighthearted and usually diffuse the situation

Silence doesn’t mean you accept it, it means you’re not going to line the pockets of the outlet promoting it. Why so worried about what “they” think, anyway? Watch how quickly media drops it all once it starts hurting their wallet. You’ll be amazed.

You don’t fight for anything in social media. You have a public hissy fit then construct an elaborate fantasy between your ears about your epic victory and how fantastically righteous your PoV is…

Social Media Warriors… the warreirest…

Can’t believe this whine-fest …

I’ve said this for years… people always talk about ‘bias in the media’ like it is some left/right political thing…

I’ve said, of COURSE there is bias in the media. They are FOR PROFIT they are biased towards stories that GET RATINGS SO THEY CAN SELL ADVERTISING REVENUE. That’s what they do people. They sell ad spots for money while reporting … what they decide to report. What do you think is up with all the sensationalist coverage of things that ultimately mean nothing in our lives. Remember the wall to wall Jon Benet Ramsay coverage years ago? Look, I’m sorry, it’s a tragedy whatever happened to that poor girl… but why was she any more important than any of the other little girls that vanished in the same time frame? Why did we obsess over JUST THAT ONE… because the media hammed it up for all it was worth and people ate that coverage up. They sold a lot of ad spots by pimping that girl’s tragedy. Disgusted yet? It’s just a business. Fox’s ‘bias’? I don’t see it in ‘right/left’ terms. I see them as ‘reaching a different market’. Of course they distort, of course they play games with what is important and what isn’t. They all do. And they do it… for money. For profit. It’s not even a secret. Sure, there is NPR and non-profit news out there, but most of the news we get, from websites, TV or radio… is from a for profit business that sells ads.

Apply that logic to gaming ‘journalism’, and the known ethics of other industry players like EA… and frankly, I don’t read those rags. I assume all of their ‘articles’ are biased towards the big publishers… you know, the guys that pay them lots of money for ads in those magazines. When I see an big full page ad for a game from EA right before I read a review of an EA game… sorry, no way I take that review seriously. Conflict of interest anyone? It’s not unique to gaming. Pick up a guitar magazine… and read some of their ‘gear reviews’. Review my ass, it’s ad copy!!! lol Again, the review often follows a full page ad (one of many) from the very company who’s product is being reviewed. I bet you dollars to donuts it’s the same in gun magazines. Or any other ‘hobby’ focus you want to name. This is the true bias in journalism. Some might be on some ideological crusade, but most are biased towards making the most money they can from the people that pay them… their advertisers. The ideological crusade? Most times, just an act… for ratings.

2 Likes

Then explain why places like MSNBC need to be subsidized. If they weren’t ideological they might actually make a profit.

The sad part? We’ve let them. Seriously. The only reason they can deliver advertising at all is that they agree that at certain amount of time would be set aside for delivering public service programming commitments… what is loosely known today as “news”.

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out how quickly they went about finding ways to get that lucrative advertising into “public service” required programming. Nor to discern the gradual (but inevitable) infiltration of advertising into all methods of delivering “news” and “public service” content. Nor to draw the logical lines between the degradation of “public service” and the subversion of “advertising as public service”.

Frankly, I have long considered a class action effort against the major networks, radio stations, and what’s left of the print media in the US asserting that this is the case and advocating for restriction of both how much advertising can be accepted per broadcast/delivery hour as well as how much (if any) advertising can be presented within “public service” and “news” delivery.

It really has gotten out of hand. And, frankly, I don’t think any of these outlets consider how badly they are cutting off their noses to spite their faces with it all; they’re teaching us to ignore them, which means they have to try harder and present more just to cut through the avalanche of advertising to be heard… vicious cycle… the consumer loses on all counts every time.

1 Like