Was there a recent patch? My graphics are now different since last I played

Hey folks, has there been a recent patch to the PC version? I checked Steam but saw no update notes listed. The reason I ask is because my graphics have noticeably changed since I last played the game a few days ago. As I said its been a few days since last I played and when I loaded it up today, the graphics seem to have changed and for the worse. All of my settings are exactly where I left them but now I have this ugly, pixelated sharpness around grass and npcs and buildings. I last left off in Rattay and now everything almost has an appearance of ink outlines. Its bad and it did not look like this at all the 16 hours I’ve played. Did they change something recently, is this a degradation or is this a known bug?

The massive graphic downgrade is real. And here is proof (with screenshot) is this what you refer to?

@angrygoatee Your link Link refers to Changes between Beta and Release. OP refers to Changes in the Last few days.

@Balladeer There were hotfixes and a Patch in the Last days. Didn’t Change anything in the graphics for me. But im already Playing lowest so Take it with a grain of Salt.
Have you tried altering the graphics to Test if anything Changes?
You can See the Patchnotes here: https://forum.kingdomcomerpg.com/t/patchnotes/42808/6

Sharpness? Is your character drunk or after using savior schnapps? It adds sharpness effect for the duration.

Dacrimal and Pizmak, thank you for the suggestions. I have not tried but I will see if changing settings and going back does anything. I wouldn’t have said anything but its a glaring difference since last I played. Like I said it looks like hard, pixelated sharpness and almost like black, inky outlines on everything. Pizmak, that’s the first I have heard of savior schnapps having a sharpening effect when in use. I think I did use one the last time on exit but I’ve never had this effect when I’ve used them before. I hope it clears up.

What can KCD with it’s ground breaking graphics teach:

1. my legacy 32 bit Win7 OS running a 325 mod deck on steroids, juiced on ENB series Skyrim

VS.

1. My top end Win10 gaming rig with its i-9 7980XE @4.4GHz CPU and $4,400 NVidia Quadro P6000 24GB GDDR5X Pro video card running zero mods on vanilla KCD?

Hmm…

…Why absolutely nothing at all…

BTW: Legacy 32bit Skyrim with ENB graphics on my old Win7 OS continues being VASTLY SUPERIOR to any of the graphics I’ve seen in KCD to date. Period. And I’ve been running KCD vanilla off my top end video card.

Given industry knowledge of ENB boost and the rapid advancement in video cards, the graphics I’m getting on my PC with KCD is substandard. This game desperately needed to be optimized to run graphically (and performance wise) across ALL platforms before its rushed, No Man’s Sky release.

1 Like

Is this a joke? All of those pictures except the first display objectively worse graphics than KC:D. Sure, some of them are more colorful (perhaps that’s what you define “good graphics” as?), but the meshes are very low poly count, the textures are noticeably lower resolution, the lighting only appears passable in some of the pictures (the lighting in the rest of the pictures makes me realize just how old Skyrim is), the distant LODs are awful and the terrain meshes are jagged, ugly and undetailed. I don’t mean to go all fanboy on you (don’t get me wrong, I loved Skyrim and I used to enjoy using all the graphics mods + ENB on Morrowind to try and show up Skyrim!), but all of those screenshots are far uglier than KC:D is for me - and I’m running it on a mix of high/medium with a 960 GTX, i5 2500k and 16 GB of RAM (hardly a high end setup).

6 Likes

Damn… That was on point. Have a like. Yes, Skyrim can be made to look pretty but KCD is a whole different championship. The lighting alone is vastly superior and the model geometry is way better. Like, WAAAAAAYYYYY better. Even on low settings the poli count of a KCD model is higher than whatever modded skyrim can show. I love Skyrim and it can look pretty good but it cannot compete.
And lets not get into the physics engine and particle counts because then the advantage grows further.

I can’t say if the first screenshot shows better graphics because it is so over saturated it is hard to see.

Then you’re clearly one of the more fortunate PC gamers. Who – unlike me – have been spared the under saturated, washed out palette. Or the continuous eye bleeding texture pop outs no matter where you look in the game. I’m running on ultra settings, yet I’m NOT getting those epic screen shot graphics in that oscar winning opening screen shot to the tutorial.

Popout aside, I’m getting extremely washed out colors in the towns. This somewhat improves when you get to the forest/uninhabited map areas where more foliage is. The other day, the game settings did something to lock in whatever low res graphics it had been running on my video card. I literally had to restart my system to restore my normal graphic settings.

what? skyrim even on tons of grpahics mods with all options turned on still looks like a crayon drawing of an utter dun heap compared to kingdom come on only medium settings

1 Like

Any chance you could post a screenshot of this? I’d just like to see if it looks different to my game or if it’s more a difference of opinion. No judgement - I know some people like really saturated graphics. I actually felt the same way about Arma 3 - in that game, when you pause it, the colors become so much more vibrant and beautiful, but then you unpause and the colors go back to this unrealistic dullness. But KC:D looks very much like real life to me. There are parts of the game that look almost identical to places I hike around my area (in terms of terrain, foliage as well as colors).

It could even come down to how your monitor is adjusted. I’ve tried to calibrate mine to a particular image editing standard (though it’s not perfect at all!). Perhaps yours has lowered saturation/gamma/contrast or something like that? To me, your Skyrim shots mostly look too saturated, so perhaps that’s it?

Decent KCD visual style is great. Ppl from Bethesda are incompentent make proper 3D models and textures and everything else, ± all looks like crap. Fallout 3 is one of the ugliest games and Skyrim isn’t better. If you need crazy saturation and contrast boosts just download reshades.

1 Like

the problem with skyrim doesn’t just extend to inferior artistry. the scaling of the landscape, the npc, and the buildings are all completely wrong. whereas everything in kcd not only looks good, are made by exceptionally talented artists, they scale correctly and all the details look like they belong and fit in the world, mountains and vistas are breathtaking. in skyrim the mountain is 50 feet tall, has granite textures with no gradation or blending with the surrounding forest, and is 20 feet away from your face.

not to mention the vastly superior global illumination, shadows, shaders, and other related technologies working to bring the world to life.

2 Likes

That’s a great point. I’ve been finding it hard to pinpoint exactly what it is that makes KC:D so life-like, but I think your point about scaling might be it. I know the forests are amazing for all the tiny details, the varied types of trees and shrubs all at different stages of growth (I say this a lot - but it really does look exactly like some of the forests I hike through), but everything else also just has a far greater realism to it, that isn’t just the texture, mesh or lighting quality. So perhaps it is scaling that makes it so realistic?

yep, proportions are highly important for immersion. kcd has almost 1:1 scaling, you can feel it as you’re walking around the forest, trees that should dwarf you do, and you can see other objects in the world correctly scaled and reference them all together for a better “feel” of the game space.

also this game has got to have the best god ray effect i’ve ever seen. riding through forest at dawn just when the light flickers in between trees and branches or dust particles flashing in the window as you walk past. standard industry wide effects look different in this game. better. there is a qualitative difference because they strove to represent how things look in the real world. it makes a big difference.

even during overcast, where lighting effects are diminished to a great extent, the game still looks good.

3 Likes

This!
Many people think lightening is good when there is much saturation and so on… But if you want to feel a Game real you gotta get the lights like irl! On a grey day outside, most things look kinda grey. That’s the same in the Game and that’s nice as it is.

1 Like

I’m truly annoyed at how my post got hijacked and turned into a graphics vs graphics argument. I don’t appreciate it being taken off topic and turned into something it never was. Please make your own thread for that.

Now with regards to my issue it seems to have cleared up. I’m not sure if it was some sort of lighting transition oddity or something else but it appears to be back to normal thankfully.

Today we had a couple of power cuts in the UK. And the game started to run worse. Changing the present to vhigh and ultra again fixed it. Could it be something similar?

That’s interesting MrGold. I don’t think that had anything to do with my situation(no power outages) but I’ll definitely keep my eye out. I’m getting ready to go on patrol with Nightingale so I’ll have an opportunity to run around here a bit and maybe at different times of day and see if my issue returns or remains okay.

Not at all. It’s just his elaborate way of boasting about his high-end gaming PC. You can kind of tell because he doesn’t really say anything of substance or make any kind of coherent argument. But those stats on his system sure are sweet and I’m sure we’re all impressed.