WASD controls are not for me

I guess that answers your question. :smile:

(Also, I think my desk is to small to attempt using the arrows in a game. )

1 Like

No, I really ment logical.

You see, when you are using WASD you can reach at least 10 keys with your little finger and thumb. Additionaly the three fingers on WASD can reach also around another 10 keys. So you have at least 24 keys available when using WASD.

On the other hand when you use arrows the amount of keys you can reach is somewhere around 7.

Needless to say I am talking about reachable keys without taking your whole hand from the “movement keys”.

So again, from logical point of wiev WASD is much more convinient.
Still, I am in no way trying to talk you out of it. If you are comfortable with arrows, use them.

Also, great job on finding your answer in FAQ.

With just my left hand(my off hand on the arrows) I can reach Ins, Home, Page up, Del, End, page dn, Back space, , Enter, Shift, Ctrl, The whole numberpad, all in reach of my hand that I can hit instantly.

Here is the main good point of arrows over WASD. Because the arrows have no keys right next to them, and all the other keys have very specific look and feel around the arrows, I never accidently hit the wrong key.

So, again, you might feel your way is better, but really if WASD was universally better, everyone would use that. Everyone does not. :smile:

Also, when has a game ever needed 24 on top of the movement keys? I have found that 99% of the games I play never go beyond 12 really important keys. (which arrows covers just fine) :slight_smile:

My Opionin about the bindings…
I never need more than 6 buttons to win a match in every ego shooter game.
This is ensured by both, the arrow keys and WASD bindings
And for RPG games it isn’t necessary to have more than 10 keys to solve a critical situation.
(includes not MMO-XYZ) And agian, ensured by both, the arrow keys and WASD bindings
Most games are too slow and you don’t need to move a finger in 1 mil sec,
again, to solve a critical situation.
(10mm between “ArrowUp” and "Del/End/PageDown"
which are most time, Heal/Cast/Usable Item)
But i have to say, it is a little bit harder for not filigree peoples :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I think it just goes back to what ever is comfortable, is the best for that player.

We all have our weird things that we do while gaming that only work for us. :smile:

1 Like

/exactly :smile:

Whatever you are using is the best for you. :smiley:

I played on arrows until Fallout 3 (which I had to play on laptop with really messed up keyboard which then changed my habits) so I understand your frustration. It is a standard that you can change your input layout on PC so I wasn’t aware such situation might occur. But you are right. It’s not done yet and someone has to do it so I asked. And guess what? It won’t occure! Yes, you should be able to change your controls however I am unable to tell when we are gonna implement this feature.

1 Like

What do you mean it won’t occur? They have no plan to let people change the keys?

it appears to be of matter when not if.

1 Like

FO3 with arrows is okay,
but I found out that the game has a nice designed hotkey menu :smile:
Now WASD is more usefull, especially if you use Modifications like H.E.R.K.!

2 U :thumbsup: :stuck_out_tongue:

Can’t we all just get along. :sunglasses:

The other way around. It shouldn’t occur that you can’t change controls.

Mind if I ask when the control options will be put in the game?

I’d really like to play. :smile:

When do you plan to give the option to change the keyboard settings?

1 Like

We plan it for later :wink:

That is interesting. I used arrow keys too, but then I realized it sucks, because all the keys I needed were too far away (depeding on the keyboard you use) So learning WASD was the best option as Q E were for peaking from corners or selecting inventory, R for reload, F for use or “use the Force”, G for other thing, C or Ctrl for crouching and space for jumping as thumb is perfect for that. Also all the numeric keys are in the reach too for weapon selection.
It depends how demanding the game you are playing is I guess (some require even more buttons), but WASD has too much advantages including a better and more comfortable hand placement and quick access to chat. :smile: (also depends on the keyboard you use)
So yeah… :smiley:

BlackBunik, I appreciate that you like WASD more. However, I do not agree WASD is superior way to play. :smile:

Not that this thread has anything to do with which is better. :sunglasses:

Yeah true, a bit off topic. Though it was quite interesting for me to recall how I used to play. :smile:

Of course you should be able to play the way you like. And fact that most people adapt to WASD and also it is used in competitive gaming most commonly it means it is just better. Not that you have to switch. We just get used to our own schema and change is difficult. Same way it kills me to use gamepad for anything other than sport games. It is just so inconvenient and after longer playing my hands are in pain. But others play it this way. And we should all be able to do the way we prefer.

I was feeling the same about gamepad… But eventually I really got used to it, and is now my goto device i use when playing 3rd person rpgs, fighters etc… Great for games like witcher, shadow of mordor, batman etc. allows you to just sit back and relax, which is kinda hard with MKB imo.
Not to forget: It is REALLY awesome, how Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition plays out with gamepad, I wouldn´t ever believe how intuitive it is, and how easy it flows - isometric RPG with GAMEPAD! Oo