Weekly Torch - the barrel of questions

This is interview I was looking for! :smiley: At first, what you are doing in WH is the most interesting stuff for me. And I must say, you are very pretty!
But hey, let’s get to questions :smiley:

1. During your work, did you have to browse into any historical fechtbuch? Books like Cod.HS.3227a (Hanko Dobringer) or Oettingen-Wallerstein Cod. I.6.4o.2 (so called Codex Wallerstein)? Will be possible to see one of these or similar books in game? We know there are books, we know that letters are most likely shuffled, because we must learn how to read first. But we don’t know what we can find (on the second thought, maybe i dont want to know, so I can be surprised :smiley: )
  2. How about Codex Gigas? How about to make it kinda easter egg, hidden in Sázava monastery? :smiley:
  3. Have you read “Husitská epopej” by Vlastimil Vondruška? If yes, what do you think about it? Very first chapters are taking place in very same era as KCD, maybe we will be able to see in Kingdom Come very same historical events from books, but described by someone else, from different angle?
  4. Do you have your favorite place on in game map? Which one?

Enough questions, too many of them can ruin the magic around your work :smiley:

1 Like

Yay! Codex Gigas! Become the ultimate cultist and gain powers over… god fearing common folk

1 Like

Thank you for your hard work I have plenty of questions:

1: Have you found in during your studies for the game, graphical evidence, be it wood-engravings, illiustrations, tapestry, effigees (esp, donor figures) or textual information for a dedicated accoutrement for caring axes (no not the belt itself but a dedicated accoutrement, worn at the belt)? My earliest findings are from the 16th century, it was a wood engraving of either Dürer or Burkmaier but I don’t find the picture of it anymore.

2: What kind of books did you used, of course the “Kroje, zbroj a zbraně doby předhusitské a husitské” from Eduard Wagner, Zoroslava Drobná, and Jan Durdík I presume but could you give a list of other books of this caliber, which you have used. Of course a list of codices would also be appreciated at some point of time?

3: Have you found something interesting, stumbling in your research?

4: Will you publish eventual results of your research, if you found enough to release a paper?

5: Will you publish the sources you have used at some point of time. I would be very interessted.

6: Will you publish photos of effiges, tapesty or illustration (first hand sources) at some point in the future. I think scientifically interessted persons would love to see evtl. rare findings.

7: What is the status of the scabbards and straps (for shields and quivers)? If they are not there in the game yet (presumably from the latest live stream) what is your opinion of this IMHO situation that there are no scabbards and straps in the game albeit small details like the correct color of carrots and chicken are considered?

And a small plea, please do your best to encourge the others to implement scabbards and straps.

What can you tell me about bucklers in Kingdom Come Deliverance? Are they implemented? If they are, do we get the cool bucklers with spikes on them as well?
I am asking you, because whether bucklers are implemented or not, you were most certainly involved in the decision in some way and I would be really interested to know about it.

What would like to tell about Henry like a person.Do you like him or do you have some other favorite character(nemusíš psát jména je to tajemství :smiley: )And hi DrFessupuli :smiley:

2 Likes

Now you can ask questions for our German Translator Silvia Wipfler.

Czech beer, german beer or no beer? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice Galsterweib. I never heard this word and had to google the meaning.
Now I hope for more of such “new” old words!

I also like that there will be individual speech styles. You mentioned peasants, merchants, artisans to noblemen and women. How about craftsman with some technical jargon or spouting priests?

2 Likes

I suppose that in the English version, English takes place of Czech, while there may be also some German and Hungarian spoken as the “other” languages" in the Czech version.

How do you deal with lack of German as “other” language in the German version of the game?

How do you project the Czech-Geman tensions when Czechs are speaking German in your language version?

2 Likes

Let me start by saying you tempt me to actually play the German version. Quite nice to hear how you look to make the language more fitting to the time and come up with equally fitting and colourful expletives :-). Seeing a line like “no time for this shit” really takes me out of the game:

https://forum.kingdomcomerpg.com/uploads/default/original/3X/8/1/810fdf5156174f62a912718359c39f02f3eb9b71.jpg
(Hoping it’s just a placeholder, though)

OTOH, looking across the translation, there’s the bit of dialogue that is actually quite funny in the original:

“He was still sleeping when I went out”
“At this hour!? The blue-blooded idler”
“Well, it looks like he was out all evening drinking like a lord”

Unfortunately, the pun is lost completely in the translation.

Now I know, translating is never trivial, especially when it comes to playing with language as in the example above. So how do you go about it? Seeing how you’re basically working off an Excel document (that’ll be a sure way to stifle any creativity on the spot, in my book!), do you just translate line by line, or do you look at the bigger context, the flow of a dialogue and come up with something that retains the sense of the original, at the expense of the exact wording?

4 Likes

You are only translating german-english. Have you experience with other languages?
Have you played the Beta to get a feeling for the game and the dialoges?
Is KCD a kind of game you like to play? And if yes, will you play the game after release, or not, because you know every story twist? :slight_smile:
How many hours will you need to translate all the dialoges (approximately)?
Will you voice act some parts? First translate the lines and then bring it to life…? :smile:

2 Likes

This is a really interesting question. I still hope that we can mix the spoken languages in game with good subtitles. So we are able to hear in game Czech, German, Hungarian, Latin etc. when those languages should be spoken.

From my point of view the Czech-German tensions where more about policy (who should be Emperor / King of Germany, tax breaks and better promotion prospects for German people in the kingdom of Bohemia). So in this case the language shows more the cultural background and isn’t the real reason for the tensions. The different languages strengthen the tensions because a lot of people couldn’t talk to the other side properly (lost in translation).

1 Like

Not quite true:

• Germans were immigrants with high living standards (mainly due to being afforded special rights as a way of luring skilled workforce) - social tensions
  • Germans by large and far were remaining loyal to Catholic Church at the time of rising Czech dissent to the Catholic church - religious tensions
  • Germans were more loyal to King and Estates from whom they were deriving their rights (and protection), while among Czechs was a very high proportion of small land owners who were to a large extent free people - political tensions

Language was identifying mark, not the source of tensions.

4 Likes

Hi,

1: Do you know if there might be a middle high-german/czech localization?
2: Will there be a a mode with middle-high german subtitles?

Silvia is working on her answers right now, but now it is already time for the next participant of the Weekly Torch, our Technical Designer Martin “Ziggi” Ziegler. Please ask your questions to him:

Can we get to play your small games somewhere? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Seriously, I have to know.

What is the Badassness check?

1 Like

[quote=“kaiman, post:178, topic:29619”]Seeing a line like “no time for this shit” really takes me out of the game:

https://forum.kingdomcomerpg.com/uploads/default/original/3X/8/1/810fdf5156174f62a912718359c39f02f3eb9b71.jpg

(Hoping it’s just a placeholder, though)[/quote]
I really hope so too…

I am working on how NPCs react to player’s crimes, such as assaulting NPCs, stealing, etc.

What happens after the NPS have watched the crime. After some minutes, did they return to their work and and “forget” this incident? And everything is like before? Most games do it this way, but is quite unrealistic.

If you are bad at stealth (in a banditcamp), and the bandits raise an alarm, will they also wake up all the sleeping bandits, to search you?

If they don´t find you, will they stay alarmed “forever”?

Are there different alarm levels?

Is the vision of the NPC limited by darkness or bushes? Can you hide in the dark? Is there an indication/indicator if you are visible, or not? If you are useing a torch, are you more visible?

How does the minigame pickpocketing work?

If you kill a bartender or a blacksmith, will another NPC respawn and do this job? If you kill everyone in a village, stays the village empty, or maybe,can bandits use this place as a hideout?

3 Likes

too complex would be great idea.