Weekly Torch - the barrel of questions

Now it´s time to ask questions to our character artist Michal Hoz.

Hi Michal,
You wrote that:

We are now after the content lock, so pretty much all the assets are already done.

Does this mean that changes in the model will not be made in the future?

And what about Scabbards for everyone and slings for shields. According to
Joanna Nowak

[quote]
There will be scabbards and straps, no worries :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Are the scabbards ready or not after the content-lock?

Moreover does this mean, that the bows will always be glued retarted to the back as in beta-times or will they be held over the body and shoulder like this http://gamenewz.de/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/tombraider.jpg

Hello Michal,
great work! I like the assets.

I think this is a ton of work. Do you need to optimize every possible combination of the clothing? Or have you a automatic tool which improves all pieces with the same form/shape?

The weakest point is, if the NPC (or Henry) moves and parts glich out. If the animators build in a new movement/amimation, do you start from the beginning and test every part again?

I think sitting on a bench (the NPCs) is very frustrating, because of the big number of possible gliches.
What kind of tricks do you use to motivate yourself and what kind of tricks do you use to optimize the result? :slight_smile:

Looks like the layer system with the morphing is very time consuming and buggy. I think now it´s to late to change, but wouldn´t be a fixed combination of parts the better choice and in the end less work?

How much possible combination (all together) of clothing are now in the game?

What do you thing about (the coming) Blade Runner 2049?

Here you can ask questions to our Programmer Gábor “Cuman” Molnár now.

Hi Gabor,

have you a devkit for the Xbox one X? Can you show us some pictures in action?

Will the X0X be able to play KCD in 4k? Or only FHD in 60FPS?

Is this a X1 only feature or is it used for PS4 and PC too?
Do you mean disable physics or really remove? If you remove the physics of objects for streaming, how do you get it back?

Tell us more about performace optimization! Are the actual game builds ready for 30FPS or do you need more tricks to succeed? What´s the botteneck? Grafic, AI or memory in general?

Do we have a real jail in the game? Or do you only lower the stats, like in the beta?

[/quote]

Hmm, sounds like you work for WH just for fun, … because you know enough bugs in the firmware of the slot maschines… :wink:

I am also interested in official answer, but they said during stream that jail is not yet in beta but is planned for final game, I guess it is pretty clear. What I am interested in is, how will you spend your time there, is jail break possible?

Today it´s Petr Smrček birthday! As a gift you could ask nice questions to his torch:

2 Likes

Hello Petr!
First… happy birthday…! :slight_smile:

How many level are there? Only two (full AI/animation, etc and reduced) or are there more different levels? Do you have a LOD only for big battles?

How many NPC with max. LOD can be handled on X1 or PS4(on the picture are around 40)? Will you “cheat” on big battles with backround animation or other stuff? Which tricks do you use to rise the amount of NPC in the surrounding of Henry? Are only the NPC in front of Henry (view field) animated?

Can we adjust the NPC LOD and the distance to switch by menue/console comand (for more powerful PCs) like the grafic?

Will there be a different number of NPCs (better PC -> more NPCs)?

Looks like this is a weak point in the pathfinding. NPC don´t register Henry or other NPC in a distance and correct their way; just a little (to the side), to pass without running into another. Or the do in the last moment a 90° turn, which looks also weird…
If they run into Henry they blame him and do not excuse herself. Will we hear excuses from the NPC if Henry looks like a badass…? :smile: Will Henry excuse (automatically) if he runs into someone?
Will there be a No-go zone around Henry for other NPCs if he is in dialoge with someone (like in Wither3)?> look at:

Will we hear commands to regroup before the NPCs do this? Are we part of the formation, and only if we are in the right position it will work and we will survive? At the moment it looks like we can do what we want, but in a real combat situation it´s different. Everyone has to do his job and all must work together…

Yes, but if you don´t try something new, their is no progress. Maybe not every feature will be my tasty, but it´s cool to test it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Now you can questions to our tester Peter Novák

No, please, it 's disgusting. Do not put creatures into the game. Make it real

Was the recently released trailer “born from ashes” rushed for any reason??? Or was it made and properly tested?

Everything they do now is rushed. People working till the night and a lot of polishing. They want to stick with the dates.

I will answer here. Yes it was, this trailer was not in the schedule, and we quickly had to make one beside the regular work. So it is not up to the quality which we wanted to have in the first place.

4 Likes

Going from the feedback and my own personal opinion about it . It seems it was pretty much shooting yourself in the foot. Nothing good ever comes from anything rushed.

Which is a shame because yous were on a good roll pr wise.

For me I know what the games about. I took the time to watch dev diarys. So I don’t need convincing it is a good investment.

This trailer for someone who is only finding the game. Will not convince them that it is a good investment probably the opposite.

If I was master and commander. My advice. Double your efforts for gamescom. because now you want to blow that rushed trailer outta the water.

Apologies for off topic.

6 Likes

Now you can ask questions for Christian “Dr.Fusselpulli” Piontek.

1 Like

I just wanted to say I’ve greatly enjoy all the discussions and debates we’ve had in that one secret place. Will you return to that secret place anytime soon, and what is your favorite memory on this forum?

Cheers you filthy commie. :wink:

Hello Chris,

welcome back from the Gamescom! :slight_smile:

Tell us, was the gamescom a success?
How many people visited your booth, and tested the game?
There is much feedback from the gamers. Is WH abel to listen to their sugestions and make changes (till release)?
Which feature they love, and which do they hate?
Reading the comments (of the gamescom videos); there are many people happy with the progress of the game, but there is also (constuctive) critic…about the animations and transitions between them. They expect WH have to improve this issues(looking stiff and robotic). Do you think this is possible?

How realistic is archery in KCD?

Will WH be on the Games Week in Paris (with your booth)? Will you be there?

Will you continue with the Weekly Torch after release?

How good is your Czech after 2 years?

Congratulations and welcomeback, post it on twitter!

Any aspect you consider hard in your job?

Now you can ask questions to our Art Director Mikuláš “Miki” Podprocký.