What armor are you interested in?

Shhhhhhhhhhh

:Dcry: aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh this cannot be true

1 Like

stop crying, your are still allowed to hit the helm crest during a joust :wink:

Japan Lovers incoming…

*weeaboos…

Interesting that you mention it. A tempered 2mm breastplate, made of C45 or 1050 actually can stop a 9mm round with no problem. My boss made some test shots on the shooting range years ago. The pistol used was a CZ75 with 9mm full metal jacket. Didn’t even dent the piece.
They also shot at it with a calibre 18mm arquebus, using lead bullets. The first shot penetrated the faulds of the armor (the “skirt” which is attached at the breastplate), made of 1,5mm C45. The second one at the breast left a small dent and the most interesting thing is: During the impact the lead got liquid and was pushed under the rolled edge of the breastplate. It even opened up the rolled edge a bit. The lead is still there ^^
That 's the breastplate (before they shot at it)

I don’t know at what range they shot. We also believe that a modern rifle, due to the longer barrel would penetrate the pieces easier.

Anything natural & historically accurate is fine - as long as we don’t have some chainmail bikini nonsense =)

1 Like

But Zbyťek from Karolinenthal Diviť´s captain would clearly look fabulous in a chainmail bikini :blush:

1 Like

After playing some Blade and Soul, you’ll see that ridiculousness has no end…high heels, full makeup, saturday night outfits and…CHAAARGE! =)

1 Like

You know leather armor is almost a myth? there are very few examples of it. A poor soldier is more likely to wear a gambeson

cuir bouili. But seriously, leather armor was rare!

completely out of place

I think sallets were developed later, pigface bascinets were the common thing in 1403

Sallets were late 15th century in their most recognisable form, but apparently their origins have been recorded in inventories as early as 1407.

Also, Hounskull is a more accurate reference to the muzzled or beaked variants of the Bascinet. The Pig-Face term that gets thrown around is really just modern jargon.

I really hope we get to see some great Bascinets in game :slight_smile:

http://static.webshopapp.com/shops/036200/files/012036152/german-hounskull-bascinet.jpg

This is what people mean by pigface.

Hounskull looks more like this.

1 Like

This is a modern reproduction of a style I like. It’s a visored greathelm style bascinet. The eye holes are far too big, but it’s a costume piece. I was trying to find something more battle ready, but Google wasn’t much help. It wasn’t in common use in 1403, it’s older than that, but I’m sure some people still used older style helms.

1 Like

That’s a ‘Sugarloaf’. Which is actually a later variant of your more traditional Great Helms

And yea, totally appreciate what people mean by pigface. My point being that whilst this is indeed a common term, it is strictly modern in its usage.

take a look at this:
Leather Vambrace
Leather Gloves

The first real sallets show up at the end of the 1430s. But they won’t get common until the 1450s, that 's where they start to spread. They developed out of a transitional type from various helmets, bascinets, iron-hats as well as the skulls from armets. This one in vienna is actually such an transitional type, I’d date it to the 1410s-1420s. If you browse Manuscript Miniatures for some time you will find these helmets. Something like this could be added to the game.

1 Like

Maybe in much later acts. The game takes place in 1403. There were no sallets.