What do you want NOT to see in Kingdome Come: Deliverance?

OK, didn’t know about the skulls. As I said, I’m more secure in earlier eras. But, as I said, I never meant right-out-of-the-gutter-disgustung, I more went to an approach of dirt on clothes and faces, because the people worked all week and took their free sunday before church to bathe. The thing with the teeth: well I think i should broaden my research there :wink:

And I know for a fact, that Karl the great’s skull had teeth that were so bad, that it is safe to presume, he suffered from permanent toothache

Please, no multiplayer, I want to make my quests all alone. No co-op, no deathmatches, only the awesome campaign…

5 Likes

@ a)
That is of course a completely different case then, and I apologise for jumping on you for the “meet in the middle” sentence. People simply used it too often in discussions about historical accuracy I was part of, so I react a bit allergic to it.

@ b)
People actually had a system of hygiene back then. They washed and took care of their teeth and hair regulary. While the whole system was based on the belief that the body works with certain “fluids” that must be kept in balance, a bath is still a bath. Oh, and soap was easy to come by. Whenever an animal is killed for meat, there is fat and tallow left over. Use with the ash of your fireplace, and you get decent soap. And if you don’t have that, there is a plant/herb called soapwort, which can be used to clean yourself and your clothes quite nicely.

Only the very poorest of the poor only had ONE set of clothing back then. We are talking beggars here. Literally everyone else, “even” peasants had at least one more set to always have a set of fresh and clean clothes available, while the other set was being cleaned. Now imagine how many outfits a wealthy person had.

What I could agree on is that lower-class clothing was repaired a couple of times when it was damaged. While even poorer people had at least two sets of clothes, they were less inclined to outright replace something when it had a hole or cut, due to costs. Tailors back then were incredibly trained in the use of the needle though, so it wouldn’t be an ugly patch just put over the hole. Nah, they would have fixed it up in a much nicer way. But all of that doesn’t have anything to do with actual dirtyness of clothes.

About the clothing itself becoming dirty - wool and linen clothing doesn’t need to be washed as regulary and often as our modern synthetic clothes. You brush off the dust, scrub a bit harder on tough blotches of dirt, hang it out in the open to air it, and done. Let’s also not forget that most of that thick layer of dirt that seems to get on all our clothes today is from the industry, the factories. We have so much pollutions in todays world, dirt that didn’t even exist back then. So it’s only logical that things didn’t get as dirty and as easily as most people imagine.

There were rooms and areas made for disposing of waste, so it didn’t end up in the houses or on the ground, not even in “peasantry” homes. Rules for disposing of waste in cities were especially strict, as people realised that the more people live in one spot, the tighter the area, the easier it is for disease to spread. Nobody wanted that to happen. And the mysterious “fear of the bath” only appeared in the 16th century.

Well, I’m done for now. If you have any further questions, please go ahead and ask.

PS:
@Karl the Great
Karl the Great lived around 800.
That’s more than FIVE HUNDRED years before the time this game is set in.
Surely you won’t try to argue that there were no evolutionary changes in society, hygiene and medicine in FIVE HUNDRED YEARS?

2 Likes

i was thinking about that too. but in a modern approach to society i would say its absolutely fine to play a female character also if women in the middle age had an other standing compared to men. i’d say its possible to play a women and NPCs who talk to you just dont react on your gender and keep it straight no matter if man or woman

a lot of great things have been mentioned. The only one which does come to mind is NO FREAKING CHEESY EASTER EGGS! :smile:

1 Like

Exactly! Chocolatey easter eggs only! But seriously although I do like a few subtle and well hidden easter eggs, throwing them all over the shop is often irritating.

On the subject of maps, what about a normal map but with no marker on the map telling you where you are or where you are to go. That way you have to use landscape features to navigate.

4 Likes

I don’t really like easter eggs unless it is references to previous installments of the game. I remember Bethesda making a Pacman reference in Skyrim. Dude, that’s just wrong!

1 Like

I guess so but a little references aren’t bad, the witcher 2’s Assassin’s Creed reference is pretty cool.

I guess. But is has got to be really good integrated ones. But I would likely still hate it. I really don’t like it! It’s an Immersion killer. :wink:

1 Like

Ok ok even if we can’t agree on this we can all agree we don’t want multiplayer amiright!

2 Likes

Somethings are hard to agree upon ^^

Multiplayer is a no go for this kind of game. I can’t even imagine how they could possibly integrate it in the world. Could be arena style 1v1 combat multiplayer, if any.

Retarded AI. Too many games have that.

4 Likes

You are indeed correct Sir.

I don’t want to see quests rewarding things such as titles and money… Fable 2 for example. Quests only reward you experience and obviously keeps the story moving forward. I hate hate hate when games give money to the player simply for completing the quest. Money should be earned through doing odd jobs NOT QUESTS! or actually going out hunting selling venison, or even being a Doctor of some sort with alchemy, and of course stealing being a thief and so on. I just want the time put into the game to show…and not running through all the quests and becoming king without even the slightest bit of skill or time put into the game to show for it.

I totally agree. Its going to be focused heavily on realism…so I doubt any of that will be in the game. especially Classic RPG corpse inventory…would be comical if you could tie someone up and strip them naked haha

what…like a sign that tells you what way the city is or town? I don’t want some crum trail telling me where to go…or a compass at the top of the screen…Ever play DayZ mod for Arma? you can get lost very very easily unless you are 100% familiar with the map. I would rather have it stay that way…

But like I said, Whatever would be pointing you in the right direction in game would be a NPC…that might lie to you road sign…or a group of highway men “Get lost boy?” draws a crossbow at you.

I don’t think that an total open world is a problem, as long as there is a bit of guidance. I don’t think about quest, but mentions like you character says once in a while: “Damn I need money, maybe I can help someone” or clear source of informations maybe a bard or another wandering guy who knows people and is found everywhere. The problem I for example saw in mount & blade was that it was like “oh I came from the middle of nowhere, I have a past where I learned nothing and which is complete irrelevant” I hope it will not end up like this.

Agreed Karl was a bad example I put forth too fast and unthinking.

Mostly I just still have a hard time believing, that the people of the 1400s had such feathery haistyles and looked as clean as if they just showered that morning (as they motly do in RPGs). But I will do a bit more research, before I say more, that might come form clichees I caught somewhere.

Thanks for the correction, I appreciate that.