What I would like to see in KCD

Things I would personally like to see in KCD:

Apologies in advance if these things have already been mentioned or are already going to be part of the game but perhaps their re-iteration by me would serve as an indication for their importance and subsequent inclusion.

For the most part of KCD I think that the immersion which has already been very well considered. Is the most important thing. I intend to complete the game but also would really like to enjoy not playing the main story line and instead participating in a realistic medieval world. I think that some games are not able to deliver the kind of immersion that KCD has already shown, the fact the distances between places are similar to real life and the fact forests have proper tree density and not just sparse populations is a great start but I would also love to see a seasonal cycle, not just the days changing from day to night but if the game is expected to be played for hundreds of hours I would like to see a seasonal shift in weather and also in the life styles of the villagers, i.e crop rotation in certain seasons would be different and this is a particularly important part of medieval life. I would also like to see the types of animals that are about at these different times of year change accordingly and the ambient bird song changing etc (summer birds like chaffinches and blue tits to crows in winter etc.) this would heighten the experience of the hunt and would call on interesting realistic knowledge of the surrounding woodland in order to get food to survive. In terms of weather I would like to see physical difference in the types I.e. a blanket of snow might make areas more difficult to traverse if there is a large drift. Or there might be a thundersrtorm and you would have to take refuge in the forest if you were on an errand where the rain might not be so fierce. This would factor into the idea of how someoneā€™s clothing may get damaged ( which has already been talked about)
I would like to have the ability to enlist a bard who followed me around and based on how well I had performed missions there may be slight differences in the way the songs where re told this would be a character like Oswald von wolkenstein or Walther von de vogelweid whose career as bard where informed by their service to a knight. The subsequent songs that made them famous called on their experiences whilst they travelled as young squires,
Although it has been mentioned in the past that in KCD you are a low born peasant and not one from a noble background. I think there should be a rout to take to become a knight with property and a name. Such things could happen in the medieval period the afore mentioned Walther Von De Vogelweid was one and William Marshall (although the son of a minor noble) became one of the most famous knights of all time rose from humble origins albeit not the peasantry
In the tournament I would like to see that there was an ongoing championship of which there could be a winner who rose to the top of the ranks and to critical acclaim across the land. Perhaps even becoming the kings champion as a result of successfully beating multiple opponents over the course of an in game year or other lengthy period of time, wealth, fame, honour, renown all factored into this.
I would like to see that medieval punishments existed such as removal of the nose ears or hands, hanging, public humiliation it would also be amazing to see a legal system and to witness a proceeding in which someone was tried perhaps falling foul of a goat or a pig in a trial and being sentenced to trial by fire or combat etc
It would also be funny to see that the medieval folk where unnecessarily scared of certain animals. Due to the basic knowledge that was available at the time there are interesting descriptions woefully erroneous from the time which would be an interesting inclusion to hear an otherwise learned character lament the proximity of a certain bird because it allegedly was the devil incarnate etc etc
( see below link)
http://bestiary.ca/

some other little miscellaneous things i was thinking while adventuring though the woods the other night to kill the cumans

i had to jump up an embankment to get over it, but i would like to see a full range of animations similar but not akin to those in battlefield4 so you can clear obstacles in a more natural looking way. or also to go proneā€¦ im sure this kind of thing is planned though

also on the point of armour. what about a custom job so that it was unique such as: burnishing or acid etching or a highly polished finish? Could be like in some ways how car games have that level of tuning, it has been said that the suit of armour was essentially the sports car of the day so, being able to make it personalised would be awesome.

I think there should be some level of interaction with your horse as well which again Iā€™m sure will be in the game but things like tying it to the stable post or feeding it an apple ( which may factor into stamina) or giving it a pat on the flank after it has done well in a mission (which may affect its stubbornness or something )

any way it would be awesome if someone would give me some thoughtā€™s on these ideas. :smile:

Cheers

Paul

I wonā€™t response to all of your well-thought points. One thing which immediately irritated me: The bard following. I know no sources where something like this was explained and described and canā€™t see a logical way to implement such thing in the game. The concept of a ā€œwandering bardā€ is not the following of some hedge knights or soldiers in the field but rather depicting the problem that most singers had no fix place in the retinue of the high nobility so they were forced to wander around the country looking for a ā€œjobā€.

Ah yes, perhaps in that case then, it would be to have them follow camps when they settled for longer periods of time and then to ask for money at the end of entertaining the troops or some such. I just thought it would be interesting as an option for a companion or as part of your retinue.

I think in terms of game mechanics they would just have the option for the companion to follow you and then the narratives of game quests sung in accordance to the options you choseā€¦ That would be difficult but may make for an interesting element to hear your deeds recanted round a fire etc

How did you get that picture? Or was it self made?

And youā€™re not the first to come up with any of those. Except for the people being terrified of animals. Thatā€™s the first time Iā€™ve seen it on the forum.

yeah i made it myself :slight_smile: I scanned my head in, in work, and yeah Iā€™m not surprised they have been mentioned before but as I say I just wanted to reinforce those ideas by reiterating them I really hope some of them get into the game

thatā€™s narf picklestinkā€™s transitional armor mod from mount and blade.

Good god I wish I could do that. Best I can do is landscapes in pencil, and even then itā€™s crap. :joy:

haha indeed i think dejawolf had something to do with the helmet tooā€¦ but i re textured the surcoat and made my face :smiley:

The problem with the seasons is not only that they have to build mechanics of ā€œgrowingā€ plants and fields but also that they would have to build at least four different AI sets for every NPC, including animals. I imagine it a tremendous amount of work which is not possible for now. They even had to leave the children out because of too complicated AI.

The animal idea is pretty cool, actually :smile:

3 Likes

I am also for the animal thing. Like how they thought dogs could cure their own wounds by licking them and if you left a young dog with a patient it would heal internal wounds or how salamanders were so cold they could extinguish fire.

1 Like

undoubtedly it would be a lot of work but I just think it would tip it over the edge for immersion. its just that the medieval feudal world was ruled by seasonal shifts and religious festivals, similarly combative periods and campaigns where fought around seasons so that the troops could forage etc.

I wonder if when they release the ā€˜actsā€™ they may be set in different seasons though ? Iā€™m sure they will have a weather system planned. by which you can get wet or cold and the like.
Thereā€™s probably a way in cryengine to set the amount of foliage on deciduous trees itā€™s that in-depth.

haha exactly. and for one of those remedies to be played out but for it to have no avail would be pretty interesting.