What is your favorite historical time period?

Hello everyone! I know we are all very excited for this game and are probably getting really anxious on the upcoming alpha!! To pass the time, i’m doing a project for my History class in college and I would like to do a small survey about your favorite Historical time period!! What i mean by this is simply, which time period is the most interesting to you. Also which time period would you like to go back in time and live in?? (And why). Thanks for your time and I hope you all have fun with this!!!

I figured i’d start the topic off with my choice.
If I was to pick a single time period to live in that I found the most interesting, it would probably be an upperclassman in the Mid Roman era. Between 100 BC- 300 AD. I would like to be a part of the upper class, maybe something as a praetor or a ludi magister! Either would be awesome to me!!

You say upper Roman class and I read slaver. I would like to be the slave that slits the praetor’s throat.

2 Likes

I like pretty much anything between the iron age and the napoleonic wars, but mostly the colonial period.

I would probably choose to live as either a merchant or warrior viking, as i just love their traditions, weapons, sailing and i’m also from Denmark, one of the three “viking countries” (Denmark, Norway and Sweden). “Fun” fact my favorite norse god is Tyr, the god of war.

Interesting thread - Thank you!

Catching up and a few years in this direction (Teaching content / history)
Comes naturally to the subject matter of Teaching content, but the very early Iron Age I think is exciting because there are many discoveries were made and crafts have emerged, which we find in the present. Political systems, law and literature
found there originated and passed through testing phases. Exciting time, but hard to pack this in a game that does not smell like school. My concept plays in the post-Roman era, ie 400 to about 900 AD and builds on this time.
Most colorful of course, is the late Middle Ages, but unfortunately also the most elaborate, even from the manufactures design. If it still should be compliant history - everything is verifiable - gigantic project.

My personal favorite is the Dark Ages, or… technically the "Byzantine part of the “not-so-dark unless you lived in Europe” ages…"
Yeah… I just can’t get enough of them Goths…

GO ALARIC!
Huzzah for Justinian II

HOWEVER: I would most certainly NOT want to go back and LIVE in this period, even if it WAS in Constantinople. Personally, I would not be adverse to the late 19th century (assuming I get dumped in the shoes of a British Duke, if I was a coal miner I’d be screwed).

But, if we’re going back farther, living in Rome during the 160’s A.D. (a time of peace, by the way) wouldn’t be too bad either. I’d choose to be a Patrician (obviously), holding a seat in the now-defunct Senate. I’d also be of relatively wealthy means as to not have to work for a living, but not so rich and powerful that anything great would be expected of me. I’d choose to be born sometime in the 70’s-90’s A.D. so I could enjoy the time of peace at the end of my life and not have to deal with the plague that came after.

It’s not about owning slaves or anything like that. It’s about quality of life. As a praetor or Ludi Magister I would have a lot longer life span and live in a lot nice conditions.

the crusades or the great war

medieval Europe (mostly France,England and Germany)

I quite like ancient times, especially relating to the Romans or Greeks. That may or may not stem from my deep fascination with the respective mythos of aforementioned cultures.

Anything between the start of the high middle ages and the Napoleonic wars is something I find interesting. What mainly interests me in that era is the late middle ages ~1450-1520 in which there is this combination of old school knights and infantry coupled with emerging firearms and the best looking armor of the period. The next era of interest are the Angelo-Dutch wars during which the book on naval warfare was basically written. In this period we see naval battles involving 300 or more magnificent wooden sailing vessels fight in one big duel sometimes lasting as long as four days. Needless to say I would not want to be on any of those ships. Another period to interests me is the colonial america period. It’s probably also the best place to be in the era I am interested in, good food and such which is not attainable in Europe for your average lad. Behind it would be a late medieval Duke or a seventeenth century merchant.

i would like to play as blacksmith for the vikings and possibly a viking.

@fib118

Have fun with chronic lung problems. :wink:

Sorry, but that is like saying “I would like to be a Nazi party official in the third Reich due to the nice living conditions and longer life span, but it is not about having Untermensch forced labor or hating Jews.”

You can’t separate it. The living conditions and longer life span was a direct consequence of abuse of other people.[quote=“BurningDuck, post:3, topic:17620”]
warrior viking
[/quote]
From what I’ve read the tradition seems to be quite well and alive with quite a few Danish citizens fighting for the ISIS in Syria and Iraq. Didn’t also Breivik understand himself as a kind of moder Viking warrior?

I mean I can understand that someone writes they would like to live in a different period. But going as far as identifying oneself with warrior = murder culture, or top of the slavery food chain, that is beyond me.

I would go for

A.) Viking Age - Norse Earl/King/Legend would be awesome, like Ragnar Lothbrok/The Lothbrok Family (I just love their traditions) (My favorite god would be Loki :wink: )

B.) The war of the roses - A rich Knight (Cuz, y not? :wink: )

C.) Golden Age of Piracy - Known and feared pirate, like blackbeard (There were many blackbeards, but I mean the most known one, Edward Thatch)

D.) French Revolution - One of the Revolution leaders (Because ye know, AC Unity)

E.) Ancient Sparta - Hard conditions, but well, atleast I’ll have fun fighting

F.) Colonial times/Pirate Age - Black slave pirate, cuz, black ppl are awesome :smiley: (I would take revenge and build a community, just like in Freedome Cry DLC for AC Black Flag :wink: )

I’d like to live in early 20th century London or Berlin
or a little bit earlier in colonial times.

What would be Interesting, too is the time around 1700 cause there was still much to discover and the world was changing. I could come up with many dates that seem interesting…

You you can extend this to any period in history including the time we live in now. Back then it was just a little more evident and in the face. Yes to us upper class Romans can be seen as slavers but I have to remind you that you folks take a crap in high quality drinking water every day and then flush it down with another 20 or so liters of fresh drinking water while kids in other countries die by the dozen due to a lack of clean water. Will this be seen as unethical in the eyes of 26th century folks?

3 Likes

@Dushin Water isn’'t wasted, it get’s cleaned and put back in the system or it goes in the enviroment: clouds, trees, soil. Excluding if it get’s ruined by radioactivity or chemicals.

War was a perpetual state of being for the past so many centuries which didn’t stop on the continent until quite recently. By our modern day standards everything before 1980 was awful

Fresh water is becoming a scarce good, pollution with heavy metals or other waste.

I edited my comment a bit to late, I guess :smiley:

Pre-history ;-p

It’s not entirely tongue-in-cheek, though, when I say that I would love to see an open-world survival game that is set even before the time of the earliest civilizations.