Who came here for a console port?

Same… I may never get passed backwards compatibility.

@TheLoreSeeker - Yeah, I get where you’re coming from re: controller being better for platformers, but mouse and keyboard are in another league for first person games IMO. I posted about it in detail here: Thoughts about Controllers/Mouse & Keyboard

Below are my feelings regarding the best control input/genre (from my post):

• FPS (and third person with FPS look and control system) - Mouse & Keyboard.
  • Casual third person driving games - Controller.
  • Serious first person driving games - Wheel + Pedals.
  • Platform games - Controller.
  • Flighting games (Street Fighter etc.) - Controller.
  • Strategy and RTS - Mouse & Keyboard.
  • Casual Flight Sim - Controller.
  • Realistic Flight Sim - Joystick/Yoke, Pedals, TrackIR (+ Mouse & Keyboard for switches and UI).
  • Sports games (FIFA etc.) - Controller (though I’ve never played one!).

As to your PC monitor/TV issue, I’d agree with others that 720p is a low res (I’m a bit of a big screen resolution freak; 1080p seems low res to me), but I’d say go for it and upgrade later. It’s not going to feel low res to you as you aren’t coming from anything better. It won’t feel any worse than playing your console, but you’ll have a ton of really interesting games to get into. When you do upgrade though, go for as big and high res a monitor as you can afford - It’s the best upgrade you can possibly make IMO and will outlast all your other components by many years.

I really urge you to try some FPS games with M+K, it’ll prob take a little while to get used to, but once you do I doubt you’ll look back. Case in point; a mate of mine (console gamer, excepting Total War series which we play together on my PC) played half way through Max Payne 3 on my system. He liked it a lot so picked it up for the 360, found at auto aim felt like cheating, so turned it off, then found that he couldn’t reproduce the accuracy of mouse and keyboard he’d got used to and whilst he enjoyed the rest of the game from a story standpoint found it a bit frustrating/unsatisfying. He’s since bought a laptop for gaming and picked up Max Payne 3 in a recent Steam sale for next to nothing and played it through again (to ‘finish it off properly’. Once you’ve ‘clicked’ with mouse and keyboard it’s difficult to back IMO. I can play Halo with friends for a laugh, but it’s a casual experience for me and not really what I’m after.

@BlueEyedGator - Welcome to PC gaming! Enjoy the Steam sales too ;).

4 Likes

Yeah I pretty much agree with you on that split up. Some games are just better designed for one or the other.

Honestly I’m both a PC and console gamer who’s somewhat slightly comfortable with K+M (for some games), but more likely prefer using my gamepad for games that do offer full controller support.

Also I’m not really fussed how they go about making the game, but I am fussed when it comes to users or backers desire to twist the devs intentions to one side for their own preferences to be valued higher than others which comes off as both childish and selfish to me.

I’m also not that fussed about my current monitor resolution and due to high prices of quite a few monitors I’ve more value with my money in more important things other than splurging on something I feel I personally don’t need.

I’d also love if this thread could be/continue to be more civil because from what I’ve read up until now a good chunk of what’s been said has come off as quite passive aggressive whether some like to think it or not.

i’d say let the devs do what they want, back them for their dream, not the intention to fuck over a different market for your own market’s sake.

1 Like

Ever tried just a keyboard for fighting games? You can do the inputs a lot faster and accurately than a controller strange as it sounds. Generally the deciding factor to ditch a keyboard for me is the need for analog movement. For example, It irritates me to no end when following an NPC and my walking speed is slower than them but my running speed is faster.

Thanks, I didn’t think I was alone on that point. I know someone who plays controller + mouse to get analog movement and precision camera controls at the same time. It is a little strange to play like that though, hard to get comfortable using both at once.

I am a PC gamer who prefers comfy couch setup, so I play most of my PC games via controller on TV these days. Sony consoles I use only for exclusives like Uncharted series, Last of US, Heavy Rain, MGS4… and even then I wish they were on PC instead, so I would not have to suffer low image quality and framerate.
The funny thing is, there are so many people decrying “bad PC ports from consoles”, but the fact is that even the worst of the worst, like Dark Souls, are still better than original console versions…and yet nobody complains about those. I always found that a bit ridiculous.

1 Like

"[quote=“Cerberus, post:73, topic:5944”]
Unfortunately, that’s a biiiiig misconception which drives people to console playing because they think they have to sit at a desk or have to play with keyboard + mouse (which is btw better for 1st-person games ). This couldn’t be further from the truth! It’s the opposite, with a PC you have the freedom to use it how you want and where you want. Connect your PC to the TV and plug in some X360 or PS3 or whatever controller. And on top of it you have the freedom of the PC platform.
[/quote]
That’s it, I think console players have a fundamentally wrong idea of PC gaming and I guess a lot of it stems from them only coming in contact with PC-setups that are primarily used for work; they sit at a an office PC on an office chair and think “I couldn’t game like this!” Of course you couldn’t! I couldn’t! Get rid of that chair! It might be better for your back to sit straight but it’s not comfortable and you should do some sport from time to time anyway, no matter where or how you sit.
Instead go find the most comfortable armchair you can find and bring the desk to a comfortable hight.

I have a couch and 37" TV right next to my PC. I have wireless mouse, keyboard, xBox-360-controller and a powerfull sound system, but I choose to sit at my PC because it’s more comfortable and it gives me full control, all the time. I can Alt-TAB to the browser to check the web and text-chat with a real keyboard. Voice-chat is picked up by micro that is suspended somewhere over the monitor by a flexible arm, so I don’t have to use a shitty headset and can use really good headphones instead, which beat the crap out of any so called surround-sound-system by the way.
So just a glimpse of how comfortable PC gaming can be.

And consoles more sociable? Ever heard of LAN-partys? If you really want to have something portable, build a PC in a LAN-case, they even come with handles.

There really is no excuse to not play on PC, except maybe exclusive titles and… yeah… the money. But honestly - I’m not rich and all that gear wasn’t acquired on a single day.

Just so you don’t get me wrong: If you like console gaming better for some reason I’m just not able to comprehend and could probably refute, I can respect that and won’t hold it against you. But many points against PC-gaming are just fueled by experiences with gear that is not build or set up for gaming!

1 Like

I backed the project because it looked absolutely amazing, and it had such a great idea which appealed to me. The console ports were the main reason for my pledge, I’m not really a PC gamer, so I tend to stick to consoles. :smile:

Not sure if you’re referring to my comments on not, but I would agree that Warhorse should do exactly as they please. It’s their game after all, I wouldn’t expect anything less. On the other hand this is a forum, we are backers and it makes sense that we’re going to voice our opinions, no? Some of the info might be of interest to the devs, some might not (I’m not for third person perspective personally, but I totally get why people who want it are posting here and don’t resent them for doing so).

Warhorse have said that no platform is the ‘lead,’ which is totally to be expected and the same we hear from many developers (even when it’s often clear that that’s not the case); it’s the diplomatic thing to do. In fact I believe Warhorse that they are considering them somewhat equally and I certainly don’t think we’re going to get a dodgy console port or anything like it.

What I don’t understand is their design decision to select the controller as the primary input device. Not just ‘there will be great support for both keyboard & mouse and controller’ (which they have said), but to go one further and say that they’re developing ‘FOR that controller.’ i.e. they feel it’s the best fit for their game. To me a controller is vastly inferior to keyboard and mouse for first person games (this isn’t a console bash, read my other thread if you like, controllers are better for other types of game IMO). Given that they’ve been developing for PC only up till now (though obviously with consoles in mind) I find the desire to play with a controller, when you have a keyboard and mouse in front of you, a very odd one.

As to the monitor thing you mentioned; I’m glad you’re happy with your current monitor set up and have other things you’d rather spend your money on. PC gaming’s really important to me and thus a large expensive monitor was a great investment (they’ve actually come down enormously in price over the last 5 years). My advice to @TheLoreSeeker was meant to be helpful, not snobbish.

Anyway, sorry if I misinterpreted what you said, just trying to clarify my points.

3 Likes

@BlackMage - Nope, can’t say I’ve tried it as I don’t play fighting games. They, along with platormers, just aren’t my thing. I just assumed a controller would be the best fit.

As to your walk speed issue, I hear you, but I’d never trade the ability of a precision aim and (IMO) the natural, quick and precise looking around ability of the mouse for the few moments when you have to follow someone. That must equate to less than 0.01% of play time, or there abouts, no? Not saying you’re wrong of course, we all have our own preferences, but the majority of playing a game isn’t about following someone during a quest, but exploring, combat and whatnot.

What I do have an issue with is games where you don’t have a dedicated ‘walk’ key and have to keep running and stopping all the time. Not only does it look ridiculous, but it also tells me that the devs didn’t design their game to be played slowly, and to my mind, ‘immersively’ (i.e. there’s often no benefit in terms of game mechanics in choosing to walk, but I feel more involved in the world by doing so).

Yes it works kind of like a fight stick, the immediate nature of keyboard inputs and the access to all actions at once translates very well to fighting games.

I do agree the advantage of the mouse generally outweighs it the need to control walking speed. But in a lot of non shooting third person games you don’t need the precision of camera control as much as the precision of movement. The general awkwardness in movement in third person games to try to keep the player character facing look natural when changing directions translates poorly to keyboard inputs. Dark Souls and platformers are good examples. The right tool for the right job, hence why PCs are great since all tools just plug into it. Maybe someone should just stick an analog nub on the keyboard where the thumb rests, best of both worlds.

Yeah, I can see where you’re coming from re: the fighting games. I guess the direct input of the keys leaves no room for ‘slop’ and in such games moves are pulled off by a series of exacting actions.

I’ve often wondered what an analogue keyboard would be like ;). I also wonder how the Steam controller will turn out? It’s not going to be as good as a mouse by all accounts (I just don’t think the thumb is precise enough), but might be a good step up from the current dual stick controllers.

Good point. I still wouldn’t trade my keyboard and mouse for it, but good point none the less :wink:

@Fimbul With encouragement and education, some of us are slowly getting into PC gaming but doesn’t mean we will forego our consoles. I think not only does the cost factor into it (not everyone can just go out and get/build a gaming system right away) but there are other factors depending on your situation. When my kids were younger consoles were the easiest way for me to keep on top of what they were doing and with who. Now, the biggest issue for me was not being able to set up another desktop (I explained various issues including my hubby under another thread “Suggestions for gaming PC”) which is why I settled for a decent gaming laptop. I will learn how to set it up over time to use on my bedroom tv (a nice 52" hd) and the world will be right again, lol!

Maybe I’ve missed it, but considering the PC vs console debate will live on forever and has gotten down right ugly in other forums and threads, this one has been fairly mild and mostly informative, at least for me :smiley:

Steam controller can be interesting, I have a Microsoft arc mouse for traveling which uses a haptic feedback plate instead of a scroll wheel, it works but is not as good as an actual scroll wheel. You do have a sense of momentum and force though which is neat considering the tech. The experience will probably be better than a touchpad, worst than a mouse, but you have two of these inputs. Not sure if it would be better than an analog stick.

Okay analogue movement, now there is a point that’s valid!
But then again, why is this even a point? It could be so easy to add a stick to a keyboard. It’s absolutely unbelievable that no periphery maker has come up with something like that yet. They beat each other with the number of function keys or the stroke of their mechanical switches but don’t see that what a real gaming keyboard is missing is analogue movement! I guess the problem is that nobody is sure where to add the stick, everyone wants it somewhere else. As for me, I’d like it about where the TAB key is, so the normed layout would have to change.

The steam controller is an exciting concept I have to try hard not to be too hyped about. I believe it’s possible that it’ll unite the precision of a mouse and the analogue movement of a stick to some degree. I don’t really believe that anything will ever be a precise as a mouse in skilled hands, though. But you never know for sure…

I don’t actually have a problem with binary vs analogue movement. I don’t like that I can’t control my speed, but I have no problem with turning smoothly and fluently. I guess it’s probably because of the insane amount of time I have spent trying to move like an NPC in assassin’s creed multiplayer mode. I ended up being a fairly high-ranking player, so I guess it worked. Basically it’s a combination of turning with the mouse and keyboard at the same time.

I will concede that it is not very intuitive, and takes a long time to learn, but it is possible. On keyboard you have 8 directions, which is enough for me. Specifically talking about Assassin’s Creed Multiplayer, you have to make some extremely accurate moves at times. Moves that I would never be able to achieve with a stick, because I don’t know exactly what direction I’ll be walking in, when I push forward on the stick.

But this is only my personal preference, and I understand completely how other players are accustomed to their own control scheme. I’m just really bad with analogue sticks. I always perform better with Keyboard/Mouse.

I was going to pledge for Kingdom Come: Deliverance anyway, but I certainly wanted it to come to PS4. Therefore when I was sure it would be coming to PS4 I upped my pledge from Baron to Duke. My laptop can’t run a game like this and I really am not used to playing games with a keyboard.

It could be argued that perhaps the best control scheme for a Fighting Game is actually the arcade gamepad…since I assume they were designed around those to begin with.