Why no directional blocking?

I love the turn around lean back and overhead attack its too quick to block and devastating as u drag your sword through their groins.

I think directional blocking was mentioned elsewhere (outside the video). That is, the blocking (I think) will be directional, you can just hold down the block button as you move the mouse in different directionsā€¦

1 Like

What is thisā€¦funā€¦you speak of?

I have a slight feeling that people who complain on M&B combat will be even more dissapointed on the combat in KCD.
I base that on the hope that Warhorse will make the combat harder and more rewarding and not a hackā€™n slash and ā€˜press the block buttonā€™. Thatā€™s quite common feature in the todays video games.
M&B combat, though with its flaws, can be quite rewarding once you get the manual directional block, feint attacks or chambering. I can understand that this steep learning curve makes for all frustrated people complaining on it, but that is exactly what I personally expect from this game, to give you a challenge.

2 Likes

In all honesty, i feel that if this game had the combat of the game ā€œChivalry Medieval Warfareā€ it would be amazing. Iā€™ve played CMW and its combat is some of the best real time combat iā€™ve seen. Iā€™m pretty sure iā€™m wrong when i say this, but I heard that to block in Kingdom Come: Deliverance you just hold down a key and it blocks for you? If that is the case, I feel that it will take away a lot of the realism and fun from the combat. I hope iā€™m wrong and the blocking is more complex.

1 Like

a person with normal reflex would only miss blocks if they were blind, have spatial trouble, or were tricked by a feign. so manual blocking is redundant and unrepresentative feature of combat.

blocking as a general mechanism with footwork and other factors more than makes up for whatever depth might come from pushing your mouse in 4 directions.

real combat does not proceed as simply as that, and if you design system where weapon can only come from 4 directions, then maybe manual blocking has a place. but for now, this is the best solution, taking into consideraiton some things are reflexive.

for example, walking in game, you do not press left foot forward, right foot forward, swing hand, etc. one button does all. so too one button does blocking.

maybe people feel blocking is fun and challenging? yes, maybe in small scope, limited vision game, but this game has too many things and mechanics. cannot work on 16 direction blocking or spherical vector blocking that ends up frustrating player anyway. game design trumps all.

5 Likes

Blocking, Deflecting and Parrying, isnā€™t pointing your blade in one direction to deal with an incoming weapon thats why directional blocking is incorrect in terms of realism, the defensive manevers are performed when the blade is incoming, so your not constantly looking to do them.

I would only add that in real fencing, an attack can come faster than you can react or stronger. When a person parryā€™s he can be pushed thru when he is weak on the blade. Also whole concept of blocking a weapon is wrong.

Directional blocking in a game that goes for reality is just out of place. A fighter doesnā€™t need to block a blade he only needs to deflect it, push it aside and attack. A fighter must be always in ā€œvorā€ (ahead) taking the initiative, in a block he will always be ā€œnachā€ (after).

4 Likes

I agree.
Directional blocking is not really authentic imo. In actual fighting you try not to block but to deflect with an attack. The devs said you will be able to aim at different parts of your enemy. They also said by ā€˜blockingā€™ into the attack you can counter attack. So directional counter attack would make sense at last.

EDIT

Iā€™d appreciate if they added quick directional steps. Possibly by tapping a direction button while holding down the ā€˜move fastā€™ button. Either to close distance or to step out of an attackā€™s way or reach.

3 Likes

A no to directional blocking here. I feel personally that just holding down block (thus draining stamina) is a much better feature. Not only would it keep the combat fun but it also allows each personal fight to be more epic. Iā€™m sure that the AI will be just as effective at blocking and realistically speaking each fight would be a bit back and forth and last a decent amount of time. An added bonus is that it might free up a bit of extra time for the developers to focus on more pressing matters (pun intended). Remember the game is, at the end of the day, meant to be fun. I only speak for myself but it would be more fun fighting one guy for a minute and not feeling like i just attempted mastermind.

Well, for me itā€™s the ultimative fun to exercise a very good defense. Iā€™d rather not be passive (hold down one key without actually reacting on what the opponent did) when I feel like parrying. Personally I would welcome situations which are very hard to overcome (f.e. constantly blocking two enemies at the same time) but very rewarding if you finally made it.

1 Like

Its block able it just takes time and practice to learn how.

On topic i always find it amusing that non backers are the biggest complainers on this forum.

5 Likes

like in the new game ā€œfor honorā€

A non locked fight will be coolā€¦
but i canā€™t say or understand how much work it is :blush:
(greetings from Dead Island control system?)
playing with mouse & keyboard is very full of adrenalin.
I donā€™t know how difficult fights are with controller:
Maybe if it is the same, kcd donā€™t need any unlocked sytems or directional mechanics.
I have everytime a high pulse when the sword master comes to me.
If it were easy, everyone would not run away from two Cumans. :grin:
And if two enemies attacking you, press Shift, get the focus on another enemy and hit
and than the same againā€¦ tada youā€™ve won against two!

[quote=ā€œSirWarriant, post:33, topic:15098ā€]
On topic i always find it amusing that non backers are the biggest complainers on this forum.
[/quote] Thatā€™s good! Like that! :smile:

1 Like

Maybe itā€™s because they are stating why they wouldnā€™t support this game?
Doesnā€™t it make sense to you?

Did you ever try out the multiplayer of Mount & Blade: Warband?
It can deliver the most rewarding (melee) fighting experiences out of every game I played so far.
I have so many memories of fights (1 on 1) that took several minutes to finish.
Every fight was unique, it felt like a champion after those fights. (but still in mind that there were people who were much more better than me)

I can understand why many of you donā€™t like the idea of directional blocking.
(exept the points about realism, there I donā€™t because there are alternatives which would look realistic but are still based on ā€œdirectional blockingā€ in terms of gameplay)
But in my opinion the mechanics how the melee (blocking and locking) works right now is too less rewarding and far too easy. Why canā€™t I just easely target one of those cumans by moving my mouse instead of pressing another key? That just feels so wierd and influent. I guess itā€™s because @warhorse either is focusing on gamepad just for the time of developement or is trying to make the controls from keyboard and mouse similar to the controls of gamepads (in a way that gamepads and k&m will create nearly the same gameplay experience - what is imo a wrong way). I fear that they recommend the final product to be played with gamepad, because it would minimize the whole potential that k&m can have.
I also hope that the will get much more difficult, because it was nearly no effort needed to whack that best guy in the arena. (maybe itā€™s because of the missing directional blocks, or if you donā€™t plan that to be implemented atleast make the AI stronger)
Without that lock on system those cumans wouldnā€™t be that hard to kill.

I donā€™t believe you.
Simply because defeating him is all about luck.
You better have some proof to back this statement.

Anyway as owner of M&B I must say that combat system there is one of the most frustrating. It is similar to War of the Vikings where you can be decapitated through shield.
Combat system in M&B is all about playing again and again until you learn all tricks and advantages of every weapon.

Isnā€™t that a good thing? As developer you want people to play the same game no matter the platform.

I would also recommend you to watch new video about combat system

There are many useful things said.

No one still answer this question, that I posted to another post:

1 Like

Itā€™s not implemented yet, but the idea is that you can hit weak spots. Letā€™s say your oponent wears no helmet but a full plate armourā€¦ you will try to hit that head of course. It also gives you the chance to link several hits and create combos which are historical accurate (are discribed in fencing books). We donā€™t do a fighting simulatorā€¦ we are create a GAME that trys to be as real as possibleā€¦ but remains ā€œjust a gameā€ :slight_smile:

Directonal blocking was something that made the fight impossible to survive.

2 Likes

Except theyā€™re not really combos. Theyā€™re drills designed to teach fencers how different techniques are applied in particular situations.

2 Likes

If they are drills, then it is totaly plausible for a fencer to use them, or some parts of it.
In that case you can all them combos.

2 Likes