Will the Beta be available for Linux?

No ´bad news´ just revealing the lie of the studio!
Like most of them lying at the linuxusers during their kickstarter campaign.
For me it was the last time i ever believed what gamestudios tell.

1 Like

Since this statement is somewhat out of context, I do hope it only applies to the beta and not the game in general!?

Which would be unfortunate enough, given that beta was not previously ruled out for Linux. In my case, I don’t mind (much), as I pledged at the tier to get a physical copy and not for alpha or beta access.

But as both a Linux user and Software Engineer I really would urge that game studios that promise cross-platform titles get their act together and write truly cross-platform code from the start instead of doing half-assed, last-minute ports (if we’re lucky) or fail entirely because they bet on platform specific middleware.

3 Likes

Just to clarify, I was talkin just about Linux version of Beta.
Still does not mean that Linux Beta wont happen.

2 Likes

I hope they are working on it…

"The Beta access will be available on Windows, Linux and Mac at least; it may also be available on consoles but we cannot confirm it yet."

Waiting for this game for a long time, I paid for knight instead of soldier to get the beta. Of coure on linux, i believed their campaign. :frowning:

3 Likes

Thanks for clarifying. You had me worried there for a moment ;-)!

I am a bit torn on the topic, to be honest. I know you guys are working hard to get the game running on one platform first. Since you went that route, it might make little sense to open up another can of worms before the first one has been dealt with.

So from a purely professional perspective I can understand what you are doing. But as a backer and customer, all I can say is that you dropped the ball. And failed to properly communicate that in advance, which is perhaps the bigger “offense” here. Transparency and honesty can go a long way …

Anyway, things are like they are, and complaining won’t improve them. All in all I am still grateful that you support Linux, so thanks for that at least! Still looking forward to the finished game :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am in the same situation. I paid for Baron just to be able access to Alpha. But then, there was no Alpha for Linux. Now, there is no Beta for Linux, so Knights are on the same situation.

Warhorse Studios, I demand a clear answer on whether or not there will be a Linux Beta. If there is not going to be a Linux Beta (as clearly promised during the Kickstarter campaign), you should do a partial refund to all us Linux users.

4 Likes

Just to clarify my position…

This was promised more than 2 years ago:

The Beta access will be available on Windows, Linux and Mac at least; it may also be available on consoles but we cannot confirm it yet. Link

• And this was said more than one and a half years ago:

You are right about Beta, I am sorry. I will make sure our programmers have the Linux version in their plans. Thank you! Link

4 Likes

Dont have an answer, but will ask others. Thank you for reminder!

4 Likes

any news for backers! with a linuxsystem?

2 Likes

A week has passed and no answer yet. Does Warhorse Studios need even more time after two years waiting for the Linux Beta? :wink:

2 Likes

@Woody you know more about the details here, can you take a quick look at this thread? :slight_smile:

1 Like

It seems that we (linux users) have been scammed another time to support games upon lies.
Please find below the answer which was given to Liam (Gaming on Linux)

Hello Liam,

Unfortunately I can´t verify this right now, as we don´t know. We still want to publish it on Linux too, but right now it is not possible technically. We are waiting and hoping for a solution for this. We can neither say if it will come for Linux, nor it will not come.
The situation about this topic is kind of tricky.

But thank you for your request.

Christian Piontek
Community Manager
www.warhorsestudios.cz

LINK to the article

I am so disappointed. Another reason why I stopped to pledge on kickstarter or early access.
Only purchase or support games which offer a fully functioning linux native version of their game.

I’ll wait until the game release and then ask for a refund.

3 Likes

If you want to game use a gaming operating system, I don’t understand. Just dual boot into Windows.

Linux users always complain when it isn’t supported. Just stop going against the grain.

You better get your shit together and give Linux a higher priority! It seems, like you think, that Linux isn’t that important, since there are only few gamers on Linux. But the Linux users are in general the people who are more active in online communities and are more interested in technical stuff, so assume, that the number of your backers on Linux is way higher than the average of Linux users on Steam. I supported your game idea from the start and I liked your attitude, but if you treat us Linux users like second class citizen or even want to forget about us completely in the end, many of your supporters will be pissed! And regarding the people, who paid more than me, it’s basically fraud, since you promised a Linux Beta and obviously didn’t even tried.

2 Likes

Dear Alabie,

First of all Linux is also a gaming OS. I use it since 2010 without any issues, purchasing only native linux games or (rarely) using wine.
Secondly, you are wrong. They said that they would release a linux version of the game. They promised during the kickstarter campaign that the linux version will be released.

Summary

Planned platforms: PC, Xbox One*, PS4*, Mac, Linux
Release date: Q4, 2015 on PC, Mac and Linux
Approx. gameplay time: 30 hours (Act 1), 70+ hours (all 3 acts)

If they didn’t want to support linux it was sufficient to clearly say. I wouldn’t have pledged for this game nor I wouldn’t be purchasing the game (same thing would have done all other linux gamers).

Telling us after 2 years that technically they cannot make anymore a linux version is unfair towards those people who pledged because of the linux support. CryEngine is multiplatform, therefore it means that they used (consciously) some middleware which is incompatible with linux.

Anyway, we will see how things go. At this stage I am disappointed…

2 Likes

Ok, Warhorse Studios. I want my partial refund.
Not because of your technical issues. Because of your 2 years of lies and your still not being straightforward.

3 Likes

I wanted to believe better of these guys but it now seems like just another Kickstarter scam. From now on no backing Kickstarters without a Linux prototype.

1 Like

Dear (?) Alabie,

First, “Just stop going against the grain.” - its usually the slogan of all the blunt, coward, weak people. Not just in the case of technology, but at all aspects of life. Please forgive me for not accept your shameful advice. In fact I feel even more offended by it than by Warhorse Studios cheating the 6 euro (or maybe all the 24 euro?) out of me. Please forgive me that I consider myself better than this attitude.

Second, there is no such thing as a gaming operating system. Every game works on specific operating systems, and people simply choose from the games that are supporting the os they are using. You need this information before buying a game. Linux support is a criterion for me when deciding on buying a game or not. So simple. I wont buy any games which run only on windows, just as I wont buy a book written in a language I cant read and have no intentions to learn it.

Third, business works like this: the vendor describes the important characteristics of their goods and services. I decide if I buy it or not based on that information. If that information turns out to be false by mistake, I claim for refund, and if it turns out to be deliberately false, I can even consider to sue the vendor. The platform was considered important apparently, they stated many times this game will run on linux. Upon this information did I decide to buy it. They stated the beta will run on linux. Upon this information did I decide to pay 6 more euro to upgrade from soldier to knight. Of course I was not buying the game, but I was buying their efforts to make it as they stated. What happened next? They started developing the game not supporting linux. It was their deliberate decision not to follow their campaign statements, not an unforeseen error.
This is the case that they were cheating money out of me by deliberate lies. It is not in the category of mistake, it is in the category of crime. They were intentionally causing me loss by stating lies. So simple.

I hope I could help you understand.

1 Like

I get this, what I don’t get is Linux gaming to begin with.

Not trolling either, genuinely curious.

You put this very well. But I want you to not communicate with the shallow minded, since in no case this leads to a meaningfull conversation, as you cann see by his ignorant reaction on your piece. Please ignore him.