Will there be.... jews?

Maybe only at the beginning - in one of the achievements.

maybe a quest where you have the option of saving a jewish family from a pogrom and pissing off the church.

This certainly sounds interesting, but keep in mind that clergy didn’t approve of progroms and there are instances of Jewish families running to clergy for safety.

Right, so here is where you introduce nuance into how you approach displaying a minority. Due to feudal law systems minorities were stratified into economic classes with certain rights; how nobility viewed Jews was much different from the commoner. How traders viewed Jews were much different from commoners. How people who were not exposed to Jews, or were newly exposed to Jews, viewed Jews were much different from others, and displaying even two contrasting views would help mitigate negative response.

That being said, the two contrasting view points should be presented almost simultaneous to be effective, and KCD doesn’t do that.

Jews gain bad name because they was doing bad things

Examples?

Isn’t jewish religion too much agressive against other religion?

This is consistent with the narrative placed against Jews at the time, however history has evided otherwise, incredibly so.

Again, you could paint the past accurately while also using a character driven narrative to more thoroughly understand the nuances of the time.

Right, so there is an argument for healthy representation of Jews and you are not taking it. You are tackling whether a historical game should be purposefully inaccurate for the sake of inclusion (which is already being defied by your opposition) over facing the constraints and responding to them.

It may be accurate, though not to the development of Harry’s character, that he “chase” Jews. This is what he is arguing. The character’s morality has nothing to do with the argument.

Were the game to be given a more personable approach it might have been possible if Jews were present. But lets take this further! To convert to Judaism at the time would have been very difficult due to their autonomy and feudal law. So harry would have to present himself as previously being a Jew. Otherwise his conversion may have been into some cultic sect of Judaism. Keep in mind Sabetai Tsevi hasn’t been born yet.

what your a jew? i tot Ragnar was a pagan all my life is a lie

@tomtom

Read on occasion even “The Merchant of Venice”. There you will find the reason for the general displeasure of Jews in the Middle Ages.

Keep in mind this is consistent with the narrative placed on Jews of Europe
 but displaced in time and placed after being introduced to England and then written into a play. But it does preserve a lot of antiJudaic elements of the time.

Probably most were even pleasant neighbors who just did not want to work Saturdays.

Unfortunately this was not the case at the time due to immense separation of religions and ethnicities, Jews especially were given almost full autonomy at the time.

That might be nonsense, because there were many cities in the Jewish quarter with significant trade courts and synagogues, many were scholars and doctors

So this requires a lot of nuance:
Where were these cities (far west? far east? north africa? middle east?)
Trade courts in what sense, are you sure you have the time frame correctly?
What did these courts trade and who were they permitted to trade with?
What kind of scholars were they? Keep in mind that Jewish scholarship and physicianship doesn’t really support your position.
What do you mean by many? Many as in disproportionately many?

Some have certainly lent money

Jews who only had liquid wealth (which many lower class Jews had) were forced into lending. These commoners certainly held very little agency in their trade. Jews did not have political power as they faced constant threat of exile and death if they did not volunteer into their usury. Why was usury allowed to be voluntary? I wouldn’t consider it voluntary as much as a source of income that required the presence of money. By taking all money away from the usurers nobles would lose out on income.
Repayment was often a problem because Jews were not able to even use their own capital as it would mean their death for lack of a source of income. Beyond other forms of regulations that is. Other than this subtlety, this is tragically accurate.
To your second paragraph, this is mostly representative but you need to phrase it in terms of feudal law to do the times a service.
Keep in mind that noble incentive Jews to immigrate due to the massive economic boon of money lending.

@George_Edward_B the political side of the game comes in its conception, not its being played. You wouldn’t suffer in your ability to roleplay on these subjects unless it redirectly from something that is potentially better. Sociologically there is some weight that is carried in minority representation.

Well, i would not argue their treatment was justified all over Europe, but they were viewed with distrust in Spain due to many Jews assisting Islamic forces. And i remember reading they opened the gates for the Muslims during the siege of Toledo i believe.

Many captured cities were also left in control of the Jews.

But i have no clue about any negative actions taken by Jews in Bohemia or else where in Europe. Not sure the Talmud would have much effect on the attitude towards Jews with the local populace, since most were illiterate.

You get to bang Barbara Straisand in the barn. Isn’t that good enough for you?

That bohemian lifestyle
I’m telling you

1 Like