Wolves in kingdom come

Normally in games wolf attacks happen every five seconds and wolves are often overly agressive. But i was reading about European wolves and apparently they are far more agressive than north American wolves. So wolf attacks in Kingdom come wouldn’t be unrealistic. I also was wondering if wolves will be attacking farmers live stock like the sheep in the village and that the farmer might hire you to track down the pack and kill them.

4 Likes

That picture… The wolf is like ‘‘I SNACH YO CHILDREN!’’

2 Likes

Hopefully the animals are realistic in the game aswell. Skyrim’s was horrible. HORRIBLE.

1 Like

Yeah and the wolves in that look like rabbid sickly wolves. They pretty much just took the vicious dog model from fallout 3 and gave it ragged fur.

Wolves don’t always shy away from humans either if hungry. During the 80 years war the Spanish occupied Antwerp (100.000 population) which was one of the biggest cities in Europe of it’s day in the most urbanized area of Europe. Long story short: Rebels cut off the access to sea (and therefore international trade) sending the city in decline. Within a month wolves were spotted in the suburbs of this giant city who went out in search of food.

EDIT: this illustrates it even better http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolves_of_Paris

2 Likes

Hide your kids, hide your wife.

2 Likes

Yeah its true. Maybe after a big battle you could see some wolves eating the dead. I think the biggest role wolves might play in a realistic game like this would be killing live stock and then you have to track them down, or killing a farmer then having to track them down because they get the taste of human blood. Or if you are wounded and alone wolves may try to attack you. Not to mention if you leave your horse un attended in the woods you shouldn’t be to surprised if some predators come to eat it.
Good thing you have a pet dog though :wink:

I wonder what breed it will be and how stats will be handled in regards to it’s size. I can already see Henry traveling about with a killer King Charles Spaniel that can kill a horse in a single bite.

[spoiler]yes I know 16th century breed. [/spoiler]

2 Likes

Well it will have to be very big and strong to handel a wolf. They are fucking huge.

The grey wolf which lived in Europe in the medieval ages would have been around this big.

1 Like

“a challenger appears”

3 Likes

Someones eating their vitamins. :wink:

Actually that Great Pyrenees would be no match for a grey wolf due to the fact that it is very VERY slow and wouldnt be able to retaliate fast enough to the wolfs attack, the Wolf Hound on the other has is a very adequate challenger because they are insanely fast and have the long snout that gives it the ability to inflict damage over a wider area.

Says here they were used to guard sheep herds against wolves and other large predators.

They aren’t from the Pyrenees.

1 Like

Read the stories about them getting their asses handed to them by wolves. They just arent fast enough and are probably used more for the fact that they are big and very menacing(depending on whether or not your intending to harm it)

I was just reading from several sources that they were specifically breed for fighting off wolves and bears…

Yes i read up on those sources most of them killed were used as pets and not trained as guard dogs. If you want to continue this just pm me because this is supposed to be about wolves…

if you see the map, it has hunter with dogs hunting wolves

1 Like

Most great Pyrenees arent trained to attack wolves, but it also depends on the situation. A dog fighting for its life is going to fight harder then the attacker.

Today there are just a few wolves in Beskids in the Czech Republic that came from Slovakia. Some lone wolves from Germany have been coming lately to Orlické hory and other ranges on the Northern border. They sometimes kill some sheep, but from what I understand people never really see them and would not know about them if not for the prints in mud. You might get attacked by a stray dog and that is mainly why I always carry a gun to the mountains, but wolves? Never even crossed my mind I should be afraid of them even in the Beskids.

Slovakia is roaming with wolves and bears. Bear attack stories are quite frequent in the news, but I have NEVER read or heard about a wolf attack.

FYI, here is my favorite dog breed, the Czechoslovakian Wolfdog. Extremely tough and never barks. Too bad the breed is too young to feature in the game.

Hmmm, I think people tend to way overestimate wolves. Wolves are generally wimps. This was covered quite succinctly in this National Geographic interview with a wolf researcher. He pointed out that in 16 years of research, his only close encounters with wolves of 30-50 kg’s ended in them running away. Are they dangerous to humans? Yes, of course they are. They are still large animals with powerful jaws and teeth, and may attack if they feel cornered, threatened, or if they are desperately hungry or rabid. Wolves that become accustomed to humans and lose their fear are particularly dangerous. You know what though? Feral and domestic dogs are equally dangerous, if not more so. In the OP’s wikipedia entry it points out that in France between 1200-1920 there were only 7600 fatal attacks…that works out to only about 10.5 wolf deaths a year. I can’t find any good sources, but it seems that worldwide most wolf attacks on humans also tend to be on children. A full grown adult is pretty safe from wolves, especially during the day or if accompanied by another person - which will likely be the case in KCD.

Furthermore, if livestock guardian dogs (LGD’s) like the various Pyreneese, Maremma, Akbash, etc. weren’t useful against wolves…well, they wouldn’t be used at all. Yet they are one of the most successful strategies for preventing wolf attacks on animal herds. Most wolves just run away from them. And if they ever do attack, the wolf is just as likely to end up dead as the dog (Especially as most LGD’s at work are equipped with spiked or armoured collars, to stop wolves attacking their necks). While there are anecdotes of wolves killing LGD’s, there are just as many anecdotes of LGD’s killing wolves. I personally know an anecdote my dad told me from when he was growing up in Italy: An Abruzzese sheperd killed two wolves (Italian wolves can weigh up to 40 kg) before dying of wounds sustained in the fight.

Are wolves dangerous to humans? Yes. Are they a pain in the ass for animal herders? Yes. Are they crazy killers who attack on sight, like in most videogames? No. Are they these super beautiful, mythical, hyper-intelligent super-predators some people think they are? No, they are basically just big wild dogs. Is it likely the protagonist of KCD would ever be in a situation where he would be attacked by a wolf? Probably not, but a wolf hunt may make for an interesting quest.

And if you are still scared of wolves, here is an Alaskan guide on how to be safe in wolf country :slight_smile: (Basically lunge at them waving your arms and making a lot of noise, and they run away)

1 Like