Bascinets look dreadfull * Update:(Graphical explanation on the first post)

Are you serious?! How age are you?

how age are you? so weā€™re going personal.

Keegan responded with sincerity. your insinuation is asinine

1 Like

Hahaha. Dont be bothered. Ok i will try to exolain it again. So imagine that you have the houndskull helemt, wich has big eyesights. So on first person in orther to simulate the reduced vision the programers do something like a filter puting some parts of the screem on black. That balck parts ( the omes you can see in game) have no relation with the actual size of the helmets eyesigths. Then you can make big vision (om first person) and narrow eyesigths at the same time because one is not affected by the other.

1 Like

the black parts arent the same

1 Like

I wont argue more.

Does anyone have idea what is this supposed to be?

Other armour pieces are inaccurate representations of real ones, but this seems completely made-up to me (but maybe I am wrong).
Shape of the visor seems to be designed to lead the blade in to the eye-slits and seems to me that it canā€™t be even opened.

1 Like

German? Also there appears to be a hinge pin on the side allowing raising the visor. also even a a fixture for a Cotter pin device to remove the visor

There are hinges, but I think that their placement would not allow visor to be raised.

And the pin is missing so the visor would fall off (the artist probably had no idea what is that thing for).

1 Like

and forgot/ignorant of the chain to hold on to it.

As to the visor. I think it was drawn too tightly to the helm. IRL it would have just enough to clear.

See # 10.

Similar discussion on that specific bascinet here: Source Material for German Bascinet

That being said, Houndskull is my favorite and the only helmet I really use in the game, so adding a better one would be awesome.

My other pet peeve is to add the option to open the visor in dialoge. Right now, my habit of swapping the common bascinet (when entering a dialogue) and Houndskull (in battle) is getting old. I might try the combo Arching and Open bascinet one day :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes it is clearly # 10
Question is, is it based on something historical?
Small picture in some book is not very good reference if you ask me.

1 Like

I contacted the artist, even he didnā€™t know the source for #10.

3 Likes

As far as I know, that is a complete modernismā€¦maaaybe based off of some miniatures in a manuscript, somewhere. It makes me cringe. But then, Iā€™ve only been researching and building armor for the last 10 years (15 if you count mail), so there are definitely more knowledgeable people out there than me.

2 Likes

Quick question here, would you still wear a mail coif if your helmet had an aventail? Would two layer of mail be too much?

Well, there are a few manuscript miniatures (and two effigies) that show a bascinet being removed. The aventail almost always shows a padded liner, as does the helmet. The wearer will either have on a simple coif, or nothing, underneath the helmet. I have seen a mail standard used with bascinet and aventail, though.

1 Like

Thanks, so in KCD term, helmets with aventail could use two equipement sloths (helmet and mail coif, similarly to plate chausse?

1 Like

Yeahā€¦that could be a fair comparison, I suppose. Though, you can still wear a simple linen coif under the bascinet, and a mail standard around your neck.

Since the bascinet has itā€™s own padded suspension liner, putting on a mail coif (and the necessary padded coif under that) would create a lot of unnecessary bulk. Other helmets that used a leather suspension system could get away with it, like the greathelm or kettlehelm.

2 Likes

A better aproximation in this image. (the black part is where the mail coif should go through, covering the chin and under the lips, more or less done).

david-jankes-05_LI

5 Likes

I honestly believe WH should have hired you in regards to the armour design. My hat off to you sir! I am honestly impressed by your detailed knowledge in these matters.

The same can be said about Keegan, I am impressed and I learn new things about armour I never thougt I would.

1 Like

This is a very early bascinet from the early 14th century. No existing examples remain, only sources are in manuscript art.

Like most armor in KCD, itā€™s completely inaccurate and shouldnā€™t be present anymore in the world.

1 Like