Heavy frame rate issues anyone?

Okay so I have had this game for quite a while now. I recently bought a Acer Z301C ultrawide monitor. I booted it up and wow, just awesome frame rates. pushing 145 fps and the game was running flawless. Played for a couple of hours, saved it and called it a day… fast forward to today… I boot up and can barely get 30 fps… I have a 1080Ti so i know its not my hardware. Idk whats going on with this game but someone please tell me… do I need to uninstall and reinstall? re-verify the game? at a loss to why yesterday, game was working great. the next, struggling to beat this console level framerate.

It’s the games poor optimization.

401 hours of playtime. fps dropped from 40 fps down to 8 fps oO

Do graphics cards now have a kind of protective mechanism that lowers the graphics performance before it burns out? At least the fan of the same also ran on the desktop constantly at full speed …

My CPU is running hot. Although KcD is not running …

Yeah, they’ve had it for quite some time now, it’s called thermal throttling. Thanks for reminding me of this oldschool video (from an age before thermal throttling was used).

New cooler is ordered. Should get it on Monday :slight_smile:

I would hesitate to say (but encourage to check) if vsync has been turned on somewhere. (Forcing 30)

Its too neat a number.
Also your 145framerates seem like the game wasnt running a preset properly.
Perhaps game started running with the settings selected… (remember old school games and games where you have to quit/restart with every little change).

Me thinketh an understanding of your pc tech level would greatly help forum contributors know where to start. …

Sure I get 90 fps (everything ultra; sliders maxed) on a three year old cheaper card… when looking at basic stuff.
When I put the game on my 21:9 screen I drop shadows two steps (high), leaving everything else maxed.
Keeps my monitor in its freesync range and is a perfect experience.

How much variatuin doyou see in that ‘30 fps’.
What is windows task manager reporting your cards’ utilisation as? (During game)

Bobfella, when did this happen? How many hours have you played when this occured? MeanderSilberberg, the same question goes to you. Did it occur now (with 400 hours) or before?

Is there a barriere, a FPS wall? I read about this now a couple of times.
Somewhere I read that it could be explained (at least on consoles) with a too large memory cache wich isn’t cleared correctly anymore. This cache builds up with the progress in the game and the games engine can’t handle it anymore at a critical point . Then you get this FPS drop.

Or so. I haven’t quite understood all of this, so excuse me if all this just is completely nonsense and please correct me when you know better or more about this.

I play now for 120 hours and have no FPS problems so far.
Playing on PC with i4790k, GTX980, Gsync Acer 4k, 16MB RAM, SSD
in 2K with high/very high settings, runs with ~ 38 FPS, drops down when ie entering Rattays lower gate or in buildings to ~23 for a second, doesn’t matter, thanks to Gsync it runs smooth and stutterfree and looks phenomenal.

Would be sad when I would run into the same problem …
have so much fun with this game until.

Z301c is 2560x1980 res.

Whilst the nvidia card used has power to spare at this resolution: cranking the antialiasing can make it push a lot harder… its hard to say whassup without knowing more…

Eg any driver updates (in win10 this is automatic and will happily revert your installed drivers from nvidia, ie -the latest- with older drivers and missing apps).

Or via drivers you might be forcing rendering at higher res…

Or windows is defaulting to inbuilt graphics (shock)

Share more info:
What res is the game set to play at?
What settings (especially antialiasing) are you running at?
Is vsync enforced via driver panel or ingame settings…
Is antialiasing set cia driver panel or ingame

know your rig!-which has control!?

I set my driver control panel to control all sorts of game settings like rendeting to my FHD panel in 4K /changing anisotropic filtering etc

If vsync is on or enforced it can easily lock the card to a constant fps. Task manager should confirm whether your pcie graphics card is doing much, or even anything…

Yes, the fps drop down happened at about 400 hours playtime. and it`s definitely the defect cooler (Intel-processor; see the video from BolekPolifka666 how processors from AMD would react :wink: )