1st-Person Dialogue

There’s one thing I don’t like on these dialogues so far- the fact that they just freeze and world around them is still moving and living…I hope they will make everything freezed, not only people in these dialogues.

Not quite sure what you mean, would you mind explaining a little more?

I’m guessing you mean when the player is prompted to select an option.

Yes, that’s what I meant.

Actually I like this because in real life the world moves on while you’re considering options (in a shop for example), why not here?

When he was talking to the guard two guys with flour bags passed by. I thought that was cool. Exactly the two guys he has overtaken a few moments before.

I talked about it in depth here: (Non-KCD) Better late than never

True, but it’s little bit weird when they are just standing without any movement for few minutes :D.

I see your point, and I really like Telltales solution in The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us. I would just like to have a bit more time.

Minutes?
Then I would propose you should learn to decide faster. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s not big deal…but if they add some animations to them (breathing etc) it would be a lot better.

He will have to. Warhorse said that dialogues will have a countdown anyway. :wink:

And of course the world should be moving on during dialogue. It’s not clever to talk to people in a dangerous area…

OK, got you. Thanks for the link. I agree with almost all you say, other than that third person view is generally a better fit for an RPG. As many RPGs focus on you as the player character (as opposed to a set in stone super hero or licensed character, such as the Witcher) I think first person is equally good and often better (Skyrim/Fallout for e.g.).

I do think that the game could be made fully first person, using as you say tricks and re-designs for the important story elements. Sure this is much harder for the studio (as otherwise it’s pure movie stuff, without limitations), but again as you say this is the advantage of games over films - Immersion and first hand interactivity as opposed to the voyeuristic hands-off approach.

IMO it would be worth the extra effort if possible to set the entire experience in first person. It’s a stretch goal I would certainly increase my pledge for (unlike playable miller’s daughter + big name actors for e.g…).

1 Like

I wonder what will happen if for some reason bandits hunt you and you decide to have a little chat with some random person at the market place. While the player is standing there and considers the options, will they appear on the screen behind his back and crush his skull with an axe? :smiley:

I mean, if the world would freeze entirely, that wouldn’t be possible.
Which of course would be totally dumb because if the player is that stupid and decides to chat while some bad guys are after him, he deserves no better.

Full ack!

[quote=“RGS, post:20, topic:9872, full:true”]It’s a stretch goal I would certainly increase my pledge for
[/quote]
Yes, that would have been a good stretch goal.

I hope so… :stuck_out_tongue:

I was just talking about my own taste and view here, no offense. :wink:

In the picture above it is 1st-person.
Only when Henry is making his gestures the camera switches to 3rd-person.
So, it’s almost 1st-person only.

It’s not 1st person, it’s not view from his eyes it’s cinematic camera

I would like to see where warhorse says this. :guardsman:

I think that in a game with a predetermined character and a predetermined plot…I’d prefer the game dialogues to be viewed from the current cinematic camera.

What I find more amusing is their choice to make the rest of the game play out completely in 1st person…like Far Cry. A very nontraditional choice for this genre…but with a combat system like this I can see why. I also find that I appreciate more of the world around me when I’m playing in 1st person.

I think they’re striking a nice balance with both. The only thing I may feel iffy about is riding in 1st person. The concept of fast moving first person with a bobbing horse head on the lower half of my screen always seemed so odd to me.

There can’t be any balance imho. It’s mixing up two completely different approaches.