A few questions before pre-ordering

Hey there!

I really like great RPGs with awesome atmosphere. Not sure if I like a realistic medieval setting (played a lot of fantasy stuff like Gothic, Elder Scrolls and The Witcher), but I guess its worth a try.

However, Iā€™ve some questions before buying. Some features I ask for are a must have for me personally, some would be cool. If there are questions already answered in this forum, Iā€™m sorry. I did a bit research but didnā€™t find the right answers and after all, more information on the web arenā€™t that bad.

The questions are in random order and are not sorted by priority.

1. Multiplayer:
    KC:D seems like a great singleplayer RPG and Iā€™m totally fine with it. However, with one or two friends, it would be even greater for me! Is there any statement about multiplayer? Did they already decide to not do it?

2. Survival:
    Iā€™m a roleplayer and I like to go hunting, fishing, and stuff like this. For the immersion, I would love to have at least basic survival. Nothing hard, nothing that ruins the game. Just the desire to eat and drink from time to time for the immersion.

3. Animations and interaction with the game world:
    One thing I hated in The Witcher 3 was the really static world. A potion magically went in your body on button press, bridges opened during a 1-second-fadeout and villagers didā€™t care if you kill all their livestock.
    How will it be in KC:D? Will there be animations for eating and drinking as well as interacting with the game world?
    Will citizen be unique and remember what you do?

4. Performance
    In videos, KC:D seems to stutter a lot. Of course, the shown was Alpha and Beta, but maybe it is already optimized and Iā€™m just wrong. How does the game run on your setup?

5. Does it already make fun?
    Simply, dumb question and of course the gameplay experience is different for everyone. But would you recommend to preorder this game already? Why?

Thanks for your answers!

1. No multiplayer

2. There are survival elements, you have to sleep, eat, take care of your wounds etc. Itā€™s actually quite deep, when you are too tired, your eyes are closing and your vision is blurred, when you are too hungry you canā€™t fall asleep etc. Hunting is also planned, but its very limited in the beta - the only animals you can hunt are rabbits right now.

3. World interaction and realism is something Warhorse emphasize a lot, so everything you want is either already in the beta or planned for the full game. There is sophisticated crime system, when an NPC sees you stealing they either try to stop you or run for help to guards, there is also no magical instant spreading of information to the whole world, people actually have to physically deliver the information to other people that you are a thief for example. There should be also reputation system. And pretty much everything should be animated, no activities are done in the menu by clicking, all crafting like blacksmithing or even alchemy is done by animated game mechanics. You can even see your body if you look down, which is also not very common in first person games.

4. Performance in beta is terrible, its not optimized, the biggest issue is currently AI, so not even high-end gpu will help you.

5. Imo itā€™s already fun, but only if you take it for what it is - tech beta. Many models of NPCs are ugly, most voicovers are terrible placeholders, bugs everywhere, it crashes a lot, 30 fps if you are lucky. Despite of that there is a lot of things to do, interesting quests, the enviroment is stunning and combat interesting. Itā€™s up to you whether you want to try it, but be aware it is nowhere near completed game.

Hello :slight_smile:

few answers, hope they will help :slight_smile:

1. KCD is supposed to be clearly SP game, so I guess there wonā€™t be any possibility of MP in Act1. At least thatā€™s what I have read/saw and never saw positive mention about presence of MP. It would be cool though and me and my friends already dreaming of coop :slight_smile:

2. Yeah, its built in :smiley: You have to eat and sleep. If you donā€™t, you at least loose stamina and with time I guess you can fall into unconsciousness or something like that. However I didnā€™t get so far.
    BTW itā€™s still beta, so itā€™s still under construction. Food currently decays too fast, but I guess WH will improve this.

3. Kinda tricky.
    a) dont know about livestock, but donā€™t try to sleep in strangerā€™s house, eat his food nor walk into his home. You will be most likely accused of trespassing (not always though).
    b) So far I didnā€™t see much cutscenes (something is happening, black screen, suddenly it continues, just details are different, like opened bridge etc.) When you eat, right now you do that during working in inventory so there is no animation. When you want to harvest nettle or dandelion, camera suddenly switches to 3rd person from 1st person, when you talk same happens. But remember, itā€™s beta only and everything is WIP.
    c) most citizens are unique, but some are just silly NPCs without name so far. But still, if you kill one of those dumbs, you still broke someoneā€™s life and routines. Life is fully simulated (really!). Letā€™s say dude goes out of house every evening for a bit of firewood, you can wait there for him and silently murder him. He was accidentally innkeeper. Too bad it was only one inn in the village. Thereā€™s nobody to run it. Nobody will go there in the evening and everyone will talk about it. You broke their every day lives.

4. Currently my answer on this topic is behind this link. Click on it and read. You have also much more answers there.

5. I had a lot of fun with that. You still encounter glitches and bugs, but still itā€™s best looking game since Witcher3.
    I certainly recommend to preorder just because this game is original. Thereā€™s plenty of RPGs from magical worlds and right now Iā€™m fed up with magic. Witcher games are great, and unique among them, but until Witcher 3 I havenā€™t played any RPG for many years because of this.
    Also combat system. Ooooh maaaanā€¦ If you are swordsman and you know what is HEMA, you will like this. If you donā€™t, it will maybe scare you, but donā€™t turn away. You have other ways how to solve your ingame problems, and combat system can be mastered. Just pick your opponents and donā€™t pick armored soldier as your first victim.

I hope this helped you :slight_smile:

edit: link fixed

Hey! Thanks for your detailed answers! Iā€™m honest, Iā€™ve mixed feelings. Your link, @RailBalco, doesnā€™t seem to link anywhere. Would you like to update it, as Iā€™m really interested in learning more about that topic.

I guess optimization is coming at the end, close to the release, however if it is actually that bad Iā€™ll probably wait until release. I donā€™t want to start a 30/60FPS discussion, but I get sick from 30 FPS :confused:

A routine for every villager sounds awesome! That remembers me of the good old Gothic-games :slight_smile:

Sorry for that, link fixed :slight_smile:

btw release was on summer, but it now possible it will change because of some demands from publisher so it may be set to winter. Publisher said they want all ports released at one time, so PC version should be released at one time together with Xbox and Mac (I guess)

Just wanted to say that I gave it a go. Hope it is going to be awesome on release! Havenā€™t played the beta yet.

2 Likes

Interesting info about life simulation - 48:17 and onwards:

I know this is the way it is supposed to be, but it doesnā€™t seem to work right yet. When I spoke to Timmy, there was no Impress option, and as a Squire, persuade failed, so I tried might, and Timmy attacked me. I womped him pretty good, and he ran off. I followed him to the field, and the only option I had was to tell him ā€œI beat you!ā€ and then he agreed to tell me what I wanted to know. While he was telling me, I guess he was bleeding, because he died before he ended the dialogue. I went to the soldier camp to see if enough dialogue was finished to allow me to tell that I knew where the footpad camp was, but the minute I got off my horse, a guard said I was in trouble and that I had crippled someone, and demanded I pay 25 grolschen. I paid, and then instantly my reputation with both Merhojed and Samopesh guards dropped from 35 to 28, even though I had not even ā€œdiscoveredā€ Samopesh yet. Also, I have no idea why the guard thought I crippled someone, as the only person I had conflict with was Timmy, and I ran my horse straight to the encampment after he died, so there is no way they could have even known about him. Fighting a criminal who attacked me first should not have bad effects on the player, nor should a bit of information become known over two full towns instantly either. This crime system needs MUCH work yet!

Just wanted to leave my groschen here:

Iā€™ve played the beta and Iā€™m overwhelmed by the atmosphere (just watching a guard taking something from the cooking pot and eating it next to the fire made me smile) and surprisingly by the fighting system. Spend the last hour on making money in the arena :smiley:

However, as expected the performance is a catastrophe right now. Combat was everything but smooth, often 15-20FPS. While riding I mostly hit 30FPS.

The game itself is so awesome that Iā€™ve spend my time on it even with FPS I would describe as unplayable.
Tomorrow, Iā€™ll see if I can optimize it somehow using console commands.

Iā€™m pretty sure performance problems will get ironed out and they need to get ironed out. It is the only negative thing Iā€™ve seen in the last ~90 minutes (remember: 60min fighting where performance is important!).

Looking forward updates and - of course - for the release!

3 Likes

that was exactly my reaction when i played for the first time :slight_smile: