A little experiment

Thank you very much for the kind words. =)

You are right, those were the two main forms of villages at the time. A bit more common than the long village on a river was a village formed the same, but around a street.

The question I have is, why did anyone choose this place? It looks like any other place along this rivulet.

1 Like

Little bit of googling.

I did not found for what purpose was the village established, but I would guess it had agricultural reasons as people there mostly grew wheat. This wheat was kind of speacial one. Called “Samopše-špalta”.
So as I said people there either grew wheat or they made living as hodmans.

Now to the name Samopše-špalta.

Samopše - name of the village. It is probably derived from two words “samo” and “pšenice”
“Samo” means something like “self, itself, auto-”. So for example “samospoušť” literary means “auto trigger”
“Pšenice” means wheat.

“Špalta” is a tough one. Because we don’t use this word in czech. But it is Slovak slang word for the first print (of a book, magazine etc.) made for check up. The galley proofs.
But this meaning is definitely borrowed from earlier meaning.

In Croatian it means “column”.

That seems a bit close to the pringing and also to the agriculture as fields were mostly in form of strips (as said in video) and from strip to column is just a short way.

I believe that in the rural areas of Czech republic they would probably know the word “špalta” and could provide the meaning, but I do not have access to this kind of source so this will have to do.

So the name “samopše-špalta” wheat probably originated from the palce and the shape of field.
Something like:
person A: "what should we name our special wheat?"
person B: "lets name it after our village"
person A: "jsut that? would not it be confusing?"
person B: “well yea… you know what?! we grow it on “špalta” fields, lets tname it “samopše špalta”!!”

2 Likes

Very nice research you did there. And again I have learned something here and it is not even noon. =D

But there must surely be someone around here who can tell us about the meaning of špalta in this context.

Hmm, I googled a bit as well, and I’m honestly confused by your problems with defining what “špalta” is. Maybe I’m missing something? The actual czech word is “špalda” and it has its own wikipedia page, and there is also an english equivalent.

Czech wikipedia page says that špalda is archaically called simply “samopše”, as a synonym. “Špalda is species of wheat cultivated since 5000 BCE. It was cultivated by Egyptians, Kelts and Germans.” English word is “spelt”. All of this suggest that the word “špalda” is derived from other languges and has nothing to do with slovaks or czechs, and in this context it simply means a particular species of wheat. The wikipage says that spelt has worse crop than common wheat, but on the other hand it is more healthy and more resistant to diseases, pests and bad wheater (it’s weird that english wiki page is longer, but imo contains a lot of useless information and lacks a lot of those on czech wiki). Considering this info, the name “samopše” for a species of wheat that is more resistant than other species, that actually doesn’t need that much care, that grows by itself (“auto-wheat”, “samo-pše”, got it? :slight_smile: ) totaly makes sense.

So it seems to me, that back then they called this species of wheat “samopše” because of its traits, and the village got its name based on the wheat, and not the other way around. The village was probably unique because they were cultivating this species of wheat, hence they got its name.

And btw, špalda fluor is quite common even today, I use it myself. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Jews were the only people that were allowed to make money off money (money lending), which was the main reason of their above average economic success. Putting them alongside the poorest folk is wrong.

Also whoring. If it didn’t pay off, the women would not do it.

That makes sense. Dunno why i could not find that connection.

Maybe if i cooked more i would have known that.
Thanks for a clear up.

While your observations are correct I don’t believe every Jew was a money lender and not every whore had a good income or the choice of changing her profession.

Also, “low class” probably referred to the social standing and not the average income at all.

Yes, but the question was whether jews and whores typically could not afford to buy more expensive colors. Which is connected with the amount of money they had. And jews and whores typically had the money. Not to mention that whores need to wear up ir order to sell themselves.

As said, the issue was about the affordability of colors on clothing, not about social standing.

I don’t think this the whole question. The other part of the question is, which colours where they allowed to wear and where there certain things they had to wear?

This answer is, whores and Jews where obligated to wear a yellow piece of clothing in most parts of Europe at the time. What exactly they had to wear would differ from region to region,