A Plea For The Optional 3rd Person View When Mounted

I have been following the KCD development since Kickstarter and I am aware that KCD will try to differentiate itself from the other games by trying to stay as close to realism as it can. However, I see no reason why an optional 3rd person viewpoint shouldn’t be added to the game when riding the horse and I will give you a couple of reasons why it should.

1. Watching the horse’s head bob up and down on the screen gives me a headache - I’m not even kidding - an actual effing migraine. I’ve played the beta for quite a while now and every time I try to make the horse gallop my migraine kicks in. I think it has something to do with the rapid movement of the surrounding environment accompanied with the repetitious and irritating up and down bobbing of the horses head. On top of that somebody in the development team thought that it was a good idea after 2 seconds to force the view screen to fix back to the center of direction of the horse’s movement - an utterly senseless idea.

2. The simulated horse riding in KCD or in any game is no way comparable to the actual horse riding. I’ve rode horses for 10 years now and no game can ever successfully simulate the actual feeling of motion, passing surroundings, and the exhilarating immersion that comes from riding an actual horse.

3. Riding the horse in KCD is simply a means to travel from point A to point B and done only to reach a mission objective. There is very little actual roleplaying involved, in a sense that one can simply point the horse to the right direction and use a keyboard macro to press down the gallop key, while taking a minute off from staring at the computer screen by either raiding the refrigerator, catching up on the news on TV, or taking a toilet break. When you return, sure you might find your horse trying to gallop against some burnt down farm or a fence, but you can simply continue the game being much closer to your objective. I doubt that there will be a fast travel option that will be added later.

4. It is not clear to me how with the future updates the game will handle combat encounters when the player is mounted, but I doubt that there will be any actual horseback fighting like in Mount & Blade or Skyrim. Again, here the horse will only serve as a means of transportation and not a means to do any actual roleplaying.

5. I am a huge fan of The Witcher 3. In TW3 the 3rd person horseback riding actually adds to the immersion and does not subtract from it. The memory of trotting into Novigrad for the very first time - admiring the architecture, watching all the citizens going about their business, hearing the shouts and hollering of the medieval city - will stay with me for the rest of my life. Horseback riding should be handled as a means to let the player take a sort of Zen-like pause from the hectic gameplay by letting us admire the beautiful environment and panorama. None of this can fully be experienced when you’re trapped by the limitations of only having just the 1st person viewpoint .

6. KCD can still be marketed as a historic and realistic roleplaying game, since the 1st person view on horseback will always be the default option. As far as reality goes, it will never become as real as building a time-machine, travelling back in time, and finding a horse to ride a medieval countryside.

2 Likes

A very well and thought-out post. Thanks for the feedback. Old and new ideas are brought up to the team quite frequently. Everything is taken into consideration.

2 Likes

This was discussed way before, too many times. Although your post is logical, it is not suitable for this game. Deliverance will be 1st person only, so no optional 3rd person. This is known.

1 Like

Are you sure its that 100% ? Unless FOV is dead on accurate, 1st person is actually less realistic for melee as your spaciall awareness is so limited is ridiculous. trust me, Ive been fighting in the ring and on the mats for a long time, this feels like fighting with horse blinders on.

Rapid movement that your eyes can not track can induce headaches. Perhaps try changing the blur settings and see if it helps?

Agree with OP, I also get nauseous and headache in 1st person on horse, and necro’d the old thread on this topic not long ago. I will continue to argue for having the choice to move around in 3rd person, keep combat in FPV is fine.

I do not understand why some people are so against letting others enjoy what they paid for in their own way. This is a SP game after all, it does not affect you. Player choice is simply good for sales and keeping everyone happy.

Get off your high horse, cut scenes are in 3rd person! You should be arguing for them to be in first person! LOL… Now there, hope I’m not starting something.

I’m surprised there’s not more commentary happening in this thread. Not a lot of differentiating opinions, for what was initially such a divisive topic :smirk:

I for one, continue to be ‘for’ an optional TPV

and agree with this stance; [quote=“SYN_Bandy, post:6, topic:28317”]
keep combat in FPV is fine
[/quote]

Just to let you know, this thread is not ignored by Warhorse. This thread made it in my montly community report and was presented to the CEO and the high management. My job as a community manager is to be a bridge between the community and the team, and a bridge leads in both ways. This topic is still very difficult to us, as there are a lot of people who don´t want to have 3rd person view, even if it is only optional.

Sincere thank you for continuing to pay attention.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I use TrackIR (TIR) for combat flight sims, and did initially get motion sickness/headache for a few hours after each flight session. It is very uncomfortable, and many people joke in forums about needing a bucket beside their gaming chair when they first get TIR, but tweaking response curves usually helps to get rid of it and a little time to get used to it.

It is the disconnect between visual input and motion ‘sensors’ in our ears (vestibular apparatus). Like anything else some people are more prone to this. Having the screen image bobbing up and down endlessly while on the KCD horse sets it off in only a few minutes for me. In real life I never get motion sick, not even on choppy North Atlantic weather.

I do not know whether getting ill while riding the horse in KCD will go away with time, and/or improved frame rates, but to be perfectly blunt right now I don’t even want to bother to play the beta. I want to love this game, but not at the cost of feeling ill afterwards. I’m just getting too old for that.

A few people post comments like, “but the game is advertised as FPV…” SO I went to look at the official Warhorse released videos advertising the game, and not just one but three videos to see how travel, especially horseback riding is displayed.

Kickstarter trailer: see 4:00 min and 5:55 min mark, showing brief 1 or maybe 2 second horse view

Kingdom Come: Deliverance - E3 Trailer: at 40 sec mark for about a second of horseback view, and at 1:25 min for a few more seconds

Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Beta Access Trailer:
Horseback riding is shown only in 3rd person view, in fact only combat is ever shown in first person game view here…

These are official released trailers, and while we all know trailers are often divorced from actual game play (since they are heavily scripted and edited for effect) these videos are quite misleading about what a buyer of the game can expect. The very few seconds of horse riding displays the horse’s head bobbing, but the background world as a very smooth and stable view. In fact these videos present the KCD world mostly from a 3rd person camera view, with combat presented both in first person game view, and 3rd person views of fights (I suppose for effect only?). Look for yourself.

I am not trying to raise a shit storm here, only to say that from these official videos nobody can anticipate the problems of FPV-only movement in the game world if you are thinking about buying the game!

1 Like