Third person would be great for Kingdom Come!

Think about the soot from the fires indoors all the time, not saying its impossible but the upkeep would have probably made it less common.

There is also the factor of many modern polishing techniques use acid based chemicals that may not have been known or available commonly at the time.

Damn now ill be spending six hours reading about the history of mirrors.

3 Likes

Deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole we go!!!

Today, what started with a quick Google on the famous knight Sir William Marshal, ended up with me contemplating the linguistic variations between known Old-English dialects.

I’m now onto Quenching, Tempering, and the Tempering colours of steel :smile:

1 Like

not the point i want to see the character regardless i want 3rd person

You can. No TPV the decision has been made already.

i really dislike it when mods change the balance of the game and such stuff. The only Mod id get would be more sword and shield variants. Little things you know wont generate problems or bugs.

The decision has been made, based on what? A poorly worded poll that by any objective account was misinterpreted, hopefully not deliberately…

As posted here: Kingdom Come videos have a look at the perspective portrayed in these official promos. Was this done simply for visual effect, to make the game look prettier than FPV can provide? Then what does that say about the developers decision to not portray their game only in FPV in their advertisements?

These official videos were produced to sell the game, so the vast majority of the clips being 3rd person is, well, misleading.

1 Like

In what way was it misleading? They clearly stated they were only using TPV to test the animations, they never said it was going to be a game play option. This game was advertised as first person from day one, it being first person only was one of the main selling points.

1 Like

Come on now. Not everyone is going to read every single detail about a game. They see a video here or there, some showcasing Third Person, it’s reasonable to suggest that some people might be under impression the game has at least third person as an option.

If you were on the other side of this fence, you’d make the same fucking argument and you know it.

This is what the front page on the website used to look like, and in addition to that the kick starter trailer advertised it as “First Person, realistic, medieval open world RPG”

It was painfully obvious that the game was intended to be first person, if you didn’t know that before backing you have no one but yourself to blame.

I’m almost positive they said they were using third person in the videos for testing the animations.

What side of the fence? I want TPV in the damn game, but i know damn well this was intended to be FPV game from the start, so when i see people falsely claiming Warhorse was misleading them the whole time I’m going to call then out on their bullshit.

1 Like

LOL, no bullshit intended, the content and presentation of the TPV perspective in the official promo videos speak for themselves. The official FPV-TPV poll responses also speaks for itself, though admittedly it was poorly worded, it was interpreted with bias.

Your posting of an image of what the website “used to look like” is weak sauce as far as an argument. “A Realistic Open World First Person Medieval RPG” is wide open to interpretation, it is not stating “First Person View” just “First Person” which simply means you aren’t in command of tactical units from a top-down perspective, you are role playing.

I understand that the combat probably needs to be conducted in FPV for the sword fighting mechanic interface. I have no problem with that. But locking players into FPV for simply moving around the world is, well, a major disappointment and will continue to cause problems with a significant proportion of players and potential future players who haven’t bought in…

If they have the luxury of ignoring this segment of the player base and their cash, more power to them and their vision I suppose.

1 Like

There wasn’t a single shot of gamplay in third person view in any of their promo videos. Unless you count roaming camera, in which case I guess you could expect the Battlefield to be a real-time strategy when they show satelite view in their trailers.

Again, for me no problem with FPV in combat, not arguing that, it will be interesting. TPV to move around is another matter, especially on the bloody horse which is literally/physically unplayable for me causing headache and nausea.

I’m not going to go through all the videos again, because I’m not arguing for TPV in combat (though some may be) but the kickstarter trailer at 1:40 does show the player character Henry from TPV in combat for a few seconds. Not using this as supportive of any argument (it may be the only instance, I don’t know), just pointing that out since you said there were no examples.

Well actually. The only instance where there is used TPV is in beta trailer when you ca nse back of the character with changing weapons.
There is no TPV in kickstarter video.

I think the subject was discussed many times, bottom line is that decision went the other way and I think that even if we wanted to make TPV into usable and reliable feature, it would take too much time. Because even though we have TPV for debugging its no where near to something that you would want to use in a game.

This is the most important part, TPV was never apart of the Original vision.

The whole sales argument has no basis when the game was successfully funded with original vision of FPV only.

I put up money before I knew it was first person only. I’m sure I’m not the only one.

I don’t mind first person games. Far Cry, even Deus Ex is mostly first person.

But those games, you don’t alter your appearance. Also, those are shooters, cover based shooters. Something like swords, etc.,where it’s not a cover based game, I like to have a greater understanding of my surroundings, since first person cannot demonstrate peripheral vision.

All this talk of their “vision” is kind of bogus because it was obviously something they were willing and ready to implement, and Dan said implementing it wouldn’t take away time or resources from “fully” implementing the first person side. It really comes down to a bunch of whiny ass bitches who ruined it for everyone else, because they couldn’t accept that someone else would want to use a different camera in a SINGLE PLAYER fucking game, where options should be king.

So quite frankly, I think those in favor of third person should keep banging the drum to make sure it’s in following Acts, because it’s absolute bullshit that it’s not. And maybe hopefully it’s something that can be implemented for Act 1 since they pushed release back to 2017. There’s always a chance.

You’d think someone would be like, “Hey, we’re not rockstar, we’re not ubisoft, maybe it’s in our best interest to appeal to the largest pool of gamers possible, since we’re already a niche game in the first place.” Just saying.

It is no one’s responsibility nor fualt but your own that you spent money before educating yourself in what you were purchasing/supporting.

This statement was made before the first release date push, many issues with development have arisen since then with features that were planned since day one.

The true “whiney bitches” are those that keep beating a dead horse. The decision has been made, deal with it like the rest of us have and move on.

There’s more important issues to focus on then a feature that was never planned.

1 Like

This.

Flogging a dead horse is right. Maybe we should just close down this thread, coz the more it’s spoken about, the more frustrating it seems to become… People need to realise that the decisions has been made, and no amount of whinging or whining on here is seemingly going to change that sigh

2 Likes

If every one of us was asking for it, I’m pretty sure they’d change it.

But we’re not… I do want a free camera mode via console commands however.

IGN-PC: Why have you chosen to present the game in a strictly third-person view?

Daniel Vávra (@Hellboy) :

A lot of people are afraid about that, because the games they have played from a 3rd-person view were ugly, characters had strange animations, or controls were uncomfortable. The creation of a good game from 1st-person is much easier, because you only have to model the weapons. There are [only a] few animations and few problems with synchronization of movement and animations. You just copy Quake. But what I am missing in 1st-person games is the lead hero. You can’t see him, you can’t feel that you are him* and you can’t watch all the actions that he performs. Finally, all the 1st-person games look exactly the same.

We will use 1st-person controls in a 3rd-person view, with motion-captured animations and it seems that it will work well. If not, we will think about something else.

No link to source?