ACTs I have questions about ACT 1

What do they share in common besides rpg and large open world?

why in light of people like molyneux, schaefer, and general kickstarter bilge exploiting the industry’s trust, are we not in favor of more careful planning? the act separation seems like a very responsible and sensible thing to do on an opening project, funded by experimental means.

The general style, landscape, and mood of each game is similar. They have weapon and armor creation (and before it’s said, I agree completely what KCD has in store is leeeaaagues better than Skyrim), potion/poison creation, lockpicking, etc. etc
 It’s not just a RPG, but specifically has branched dialogue, your decisions have weight, etc. Not all RPG are like this (and, once again, I agree the way KCD is handling this seems better than Skyrim. Doesn’t negate the fact there are similarities). Obviously Skyrim has a lot of medieval looking armor, weapons, etc.

I can go on and on here. If you don’t see the similarities, then not much else I can say.

The differences between KCD and Skyrim is what I’m more interested in. The lack of magic, dragons, etc. has me excited, as I prefer more realistic games. Being able to repair armor and weapons (don’t understand why they removed this from Skyrim). Having immersive mini-games for potion creation, armor/weapon creation, etc. has me excited. The realistic combat system sounds more intelligent and unforgiving.

1 Like

I dont agree with that we haven’t played the full game yet so we really cant tell the mood. The alpha village feels ten times more living and realistic than all the big cities in skyrim.

I would also disagree with this skyrim is click an option to create something. KC:D has interactive mini games for its crafting.

Not really all of Skyrims weapons are completely over sized and unrealistic and hardly resemble real weapons used in the time period of this game.

Im getting rather tired of everyone comparing any rpg that comes out to Skyrim like Skyrims the best thing ever and all other rpgs should strive to be just like it. It actually hurts rpgs because people bitch about it not being enough like Skyrim.

Things that wider audience will not recognize. The fact that it is open world, first person, RPG with swords and bows are enough for most to start to compare both games.

Also Skyrim was
 is
 pretty popular so the comparation is on hand.

1 Like

What we’ve seen in the alpha so far, in regards to AI routines, is no different than Skyrim. They have jobs, they do them, they go to the bar, then they go home and sleep. Just like Skyrim. I’m not saying they are the same, but we haven’t seen anything yet to suggest otherwise.

Even things like dialogue are just like Skyrim. You go talk to someone you’ve already spoken to, and you’re given the same options as if you’ve never spoken to them. They say hello to you and comment to you as if they’ve never met you before. In one video I watched, someone spoke to the blacksmith when he wasn’t even at this smithing location, and his commentary was of course location specific (it was meant to be said while he was at his station doing his work).

I’m not faulting the game here because it’s still alpha. I would hope they clean a lot of this stuff up. But to claim it is better than Skyrim in its alpha stage is just 100% in error. If anything, in its current state, it’s worse than Skyrim.

I have high hopes it will be better though, as I feel Dan is aware of the AI shortcomings of similar RPGs.

I don’t know why you’re disagreeing. I already stated that KCD is handling crafting better than Skyrim. I have specifically pointed out that KCD’s minigames makes it superior. The fact of the matter is, both games HAVE crafting for weapons, armor, potions, etc., so there are comparisons.