Aim locking in combat - an idea

Hi everybody, long time lurker first time poster.

Now after playing the latest update, 0.4, and trying out the combat I too have a cunning plan!
Like many have said the aiming crosshair should be tweaked to make it easier to direct blows, someone suggested adding a little crosshair inside the crosshair to show where your mouse is going on top of simply lighting up the “spikes”.

Now, I know it’s still alpha etc. etc. but I think the lock-on in combat is a bit silly. As of now it works thusly:
-Draw sword -> locked on, you cant turn your view to engage or look at other enemies or run away from combat. In a way this is a cool tunnel vision simulator which gives the combat an interesting aspect, but still I think it is very clumsy.

What I dream off is something like this, behold my MS Paint skills in all their might!

Explore spadekessu

So basically what I´m proposing (or dreaming of or whatever) is that having your sword drawn would not lock your aim at the nearest enemy, instead it would bring up the sword aiming crosshair but you could still move your view freely (to run off or aim at other enemies). When having your sword drawn thusly you could then press MB1 to initiate a strike, this would lock your aim onto the enemy and when you now (keeping MB1 pressed) would move your mouse it would aim the strike.

Release MB1 and the selected strike would be dealt, now your view would be unlocked until you again press MB1 and repeat, or move your view quickly to another enemy to engade him, or turn and run with sword in hand.

The mousewheel scrolling through opponents just feels so very, very clumsy to me.

2 Likes

Very interesting idea.
Though I have to fight some more to make my opinion on how hard it is fighting two oponents.

But here @Perry seems have no problem with changing his targets:

It’s a lot more fluent on the controller than it is on the mouse. I am sure they will perfect it in the future.

i susspected so, but i still want to test it and try different approaches.

I just tested the system and the mouse scroll gives you a lot of control. It may seem clumsy but it works pretty well.

Your idea is an interesting one but I wouldn’t say it’s “better” more like a different option. To me both the current and the system you have suggested seem equally as difficult.

You can run away easy by hold shift or middle mouse button.

Could you elaborate by what you mean here:

Also to fix this you need the image extension to be .jpg or .png. Basically right click your image “copy image url” then paste it right into the reply box. You are currently just putting the url of the image on the site in :slight_smile:

I belive he means somethig like this (red dot is a cursor):
http://forum.kingdomcomerpg.com/uploads/default/original/2X/6/650dd9e4c6732aed45e9843378b2795b367f3f1a.png

1 Like

I don’t understand, so what is the issue with how it is now for some people? How does this improve the combat system?

The thing is that right now you have no idea how big a movement you have to do with your mouse to change the direction of strike.

If you were able to see the cursor you could clearly see where you have to move the mouse to, to change the direction.

At first I also though this could help, but in the end it is all matter of getting used to it.

2 Likes

[quote=“skiggeboo, post:1, topic:23804, full:true”]…As of now it works thusly:
-Draw sword -> locked on, you cant turn your view to engage or look at other enemies or run away from combat…
[/quote]
Press shift

/20 chars

That is actually a bug. You should move mouse just slightly to any direction to choose that zone. It is fixed now and we plan to release a small update to alpha with this (and more fixes) sometimes next week.

About the locking itself, it’s still work in progress, as everything in the game :wink: However you will not automatically lock on every available target once you draw your sword - you either need to be attacked or you need to attack first to lock. In the arena you are locked automatically, because it’s “staged 1 on 1 situation”.

3 Likes

I beg to differ. When I approach cumans in the camp, I am automatically locked after a short time on closest enemy to my cursor.

UPDATE: just went to kill cumans, it actually really seems that i have to be attacked… though i would have swear that i locked cumans without this requirement.

I think he is saying that’s what it’s like now after the patch (Which isn’t public)

1 Like

Unfortunately not. It’s how it works in the game now, however it’s part of significant changes that cannot be merged easily back into alpha. So it will be probably in the next “major release” (ie next Alpha), sorry.

Also to make myself clear, how it’s going to work is this way:

1. You approach someone and attack that person - if it’s an enemy, your cursor locks after the first strike.
  2. Someone approaches you with an evil intent - if you point cursor on him, you will lock (that doesn’t mean necessarily that he’s already attacking you, he may be just approaching to attack).
1 Like

I would argue for no lock-on and no cursor interface. You have to manually position yourself to properly face the person you want to fight, and your sword swings go where you aim. You don’t need a UI getting in the way in regards to where you aimed. It just clutters up the screen.

If someone were to step in front of you while you were swinging you would then hit that person. The physics of sword fighting should be like Exanima.

2 Likes

Exactly as ProkyBrambora said!
Also I had this crazy idea which I forgot, what if “stab” would not be MB2 but MB1 with the crosshair aimed at the center? I think that would make total sense.

Actually no, “new members cannot post images” blah blah blah some anti spam-bot thingy, attachments wouldn’t work and neither would direct links to the image, anything with image related extensions = bad.

My biggest problem so far with the scrolling to switch targets was when the two Cumans split up, it´s fine as long as they are both more or less in front of you, behind eachother or side by side. But when they split up a few meters from one another and approach you from different directions, that’s when the current lock-on system feels clumsly. I use my mouse wheel with my index finger (as most people I think) and in the heat of battle it feels very silly to have to take “your finger off the trigger” (MB1) to quickly look left and right to figure out your enemies movements.

fixed that for you…

Yesterday I spent all my game time trying to kill those two cumans with just sword (+ 16str).
For changing targets I used “shift”. Which also helped me to retreat quicker. I led them up the hill where there are no bushes.

My tactic was to get them line up and then hit the first enemy one or two times.

Trying this I discovered that you can parry attack of an enemy you have dont have locked. And it even seems that it is possible to parry two attacks at once.
This lead to nice effects when I parried and moved between both enemies right behind them.

Biggest issue I encountered is that severity of a hit cannot be predicted. In many failed tries I have landed more hits than in the succesful try.