Autotravel and it's pros

Hello,

I just read the topic “Have you guys seem the map size?!” where was a mention of Dan Vávras (@hellboy) thoughts and process which he undertake to make a perfect map. Not too big, not too small and not too boring or not too “full”.

It is quite late to suggest this, but it might be considered for future games.
Moreover the game includes fast travel so my suggestion is even more absurd

Vávra in the article expresses some fear of long walks/rides through the same locations again and again. Something around 5min travel time from one location to another.

So Autotravel.
(Wanted to provide examples of games where this works, but I could not think of any, may be EVE online or some MMORPGs)

Autotravel allows things like: Searching your inventory, reading quests/books etc.
While fast straveling you can better look around and appreciate the landscape more.

Autotravel can also include some mini games and features. For example imagine our hero sing a song while travelling through forrests and meadows. (similar to radio in GTA)
Craft some simple things using knife and piece of wood. (not excusively, you could do that even sitting)
And many more.

Also while autotravelling you can check your mail, facebook page or make yourself a tea.

I don’t really think that autotravel would take off from immersion or atmoshpere, it could even add some.

Sorry for the long post.

(remember that I am posting this just to put this outhere for some musing, I do not expect this to show up in any act of this game)

also
inb4 why did you post this then.

1 Like

I understand fast travel as ability to be able to teleport to previously visited areas. So you would prefer autotravel as more immersive option? I would maybe use it sometimes to sort out my quest log and inventory on the way… well at least you can see here that “horse road magnetic feature” is going to be implemeted. It is probably not going to be something you are talking about but with this in the game should be easy to mod it :smiley: