Axes, Maces and Polearms

Anyone already heart something new about the implementation of the other weapons?

2 Likes

Sadly, no.

They did mention in their long livestream that they might not be able to implement polearms in Act I, though, due to the great mount of work involved in making them work with the swords.

Which is a shame. This game, without polearms? It would feel utterly incomplete.
Polerams were THE weapons of this and the next century.

6 Likes

Hm, I’m not an expert of 15th century warfare, but my simple logic tells me that polearms were excelent weapons for mass tactics (formations and such) and much less effective in single combat, could someone verify this? I do hope there will be other weapons, but I do wish that they will be historically accurate in use (ie.: no “rebalancing of longsword, because it was OP” patches). I hated it when they nerfed longswords in War of the Roses because of complaints (even if longsword was THE weapon for a long time in one on one combat).

1 Like

That’s not the case at all.

Longswords in WotR had to be nerfed since they cut through plate armour and maille like butter.

That’s NOT what swords do. They cannot cut through steel armour. The longsword was THE weapon in unarmoured one on one combat, but NOT in combat involving armour.

Polearms were FAR more widespread than swords in the 14th and 15th century.
After that came sidearms like maces, hammers (often with a crows beak) and axes.
The sword was still widely, but not as much as in earlier centuries. Thanks to the upcoming mass-production of steel armour (And a high amount of people having and using it), swords became less and less viable as sidearm - at least when compared to other available weapons of the time. The sword was mostly a sidearm by that time. It was still used in duels of course, but as main weapon? Less and less.

7 Likes

Yeah, I think I was the first one to post this topic. Of course that was before the stream.

1 Like

We need swords made from the bones of my dead enemies!!! (in the game of course! :wink: )

I didn’t realize polearms won’t be in the game. I love’em and use them wherever I can, especially in M&B. I feel Polearms are very underrated, you can do so much more with them than just thrust and sweep, in one on one even more than in battle. In battle formations the problem was that you haven’t had space to do something other than thrust them.
Oh well it’s not a tragedy. If the devs decide to leave them out it’s for a reason, perhaps for balance.

2 Likes

They have one year to make Act I, I think they will have plenty of time for this since they are 50 people working in the studio.

1 Like

As was mentioned in the live stream we will begin implementing new weapon very soon, polearms may see the day of light after Act1, flails may not happen at all (still very uncertain). Firearms are undecided.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads-up!

How about axes? Surely the game has not only swords and daggers?

1 Like

weapon showcase in 4:55, if timestamp doesn’t work

Hm, as I said Im not an expert and what you say is very logical! Bash power was superior to cutting power in short. But was it that common in out-of-war situations as well? I mean how many “everyday” combatants were in full plate?

Different area of the world, but I think records of the Hundred Years’ War say up to 60% of an army would be in full plate. Pretty much all the men at arms basically. This is the time period where it was really picking up.

“Everyday” Combatants might not have been wearing full plate or even any armour at all, but they sure as hell couldn’t afford swords either. They were more likely to be using knives, axes, hammers or whatever other household or farmwork tools that were in reach.

It’s not entirely useless against plate armor though.

Sure if hes wielding a poleaxe and you have an arming sword he has a very big advantage but in the event he is also armed with a sword or perhaps a mace it would level the playing field.

A poleaxe is better against armor but you could potentially lose it in the heat of battle or get it chopped to bits.

1 Like

Wouldn’t hesistate to use a halberd, polearm or something similar since you can’t use them in almost any other game. I liked Bladestorm The Hundred Years War a lot, mostly because you could use almost any weapon and be any class you would like to be.

PS: Warhorse studio could be the first studio (to my knowledge) to implement the weapon we call “Goedendag”. This is a combination of a club and spear and was used in the Battle Of The Golden Spurs (Flanders 1302). Maybe some merchant of Flanders traveled to Central Bohemia and sells them over there who knows. And let’s be honest killing your enemy with a weapon called “Good Day” is just plain hilarious. :wink:

It seems like we will have glaives and billhooks so we might see it.

Also what looks to be a bardiche, conservatively speaking, it is too early for that, so not a “proper” bardiche. Earlier transitory form from long-ax, perhaps.

Pole-arms are odd like that, so many designations for designs that differ in minuscule ways.

Looking good. Axe and seax be my weapons of choice.