Believable taverns

I think one of the most difficult things in the Game would be believable battles and believable life taverns. So I am sure Warhorse will do a lot of focus on the battles but what about the difficulties of social life in a tavern?

I can imagine fluit conversations are difficult, but they are also one of the most imortant things in a believable tavern, it should not be quite where people come together and have some fun.
So, this thread should be a discussion about it, and maybe about ideas how to make it.

As I mention in another thread, people are in a jolly mood, tell jokes and stories.
So there should be a kind of joke system in the game. If three or more people meet in the tavern, the game should recognize this and someone should talk about stories and jokes. The other should respond with laughter about funny moments.
So you need a system where the game know there are three or more people together, and some parts of the conversion should be tagged as funny, so laughter can be triggert.

Things that could be funny:
Partygags. You have a motion capturing studio. What about some party gags or party tricks?
You have coins i the came, candles and cups. Enough equipment for some hobby magicians, even if only a few people will use this simple party tricks.

Stories. People can talk about adventures from their past, how the apprentice fool his master, how the neighbor struggle with his wife and how the hunter go through a adventure as he meet some outlaws.

Games. There are minigames in Kingdom come, let people talk about it if they make good moves and other can watch and comment their game. Laught about some foolish moves from the loser. This leads me to the next point.

Armwrestling. This would be a great way to fill a tavern with life. Armwrestling competions. People can cheer the winner and laught about the loser, they can comment and even bet about it. Maybe not about money but the next cub of beer? It would also be great if people does order their drinks, or even send other people to order something.

What du you think about it, how could a believable tavern be created in a computergame?

4 Likes

I think, depending on the size of the village / town was a tavern a mixture of restaurant, hotel, political stage, brothel, game room and Citizens Information Centre. A socially exciting place, right.
Think next to church and market the main communication point of the community. Belive, only there were beer (depending on brewing right with brewery I? Not sure)

2 Likes

I think it would be fun to have games not only to watch but also to participate (dice, cards, chess depends a bit on the social level of the clients). But it might be overkill. :slight_smile:

Since there is also a minigame for alchemy, I’m quite certain that there will be minigames for… well games :wink:

As far as I know its already in the game. Not card games, but something you play on a board and i think also dice games.

Hi.

Mead. The drink of men, a bit early for this period now sadly. But they drank -alot- of Ale during 1400s, it was practically their water. Although weakened for day-time drinking, and the stronger stuff for evenings.

Regards
Warrior Rose.

1 Like

Hi!

As for this, I know alot of Medieval Board Games that were played to great extent, like Tafl (Early but it’s still a brilliant game), alea evangelii. And Chess was starting to make an appearance in Europe and take over as a popular game from Tafl. There as so many, that could be included, and I hope a few do!

Regards,
Warrior Rose.

mmmhh, google times under “korma”, so called beer among the Celts. It is true that beer was still being made ​​from different ingredients, but already in 1500 century it was occupied by taxes. Also breweries in Austria from the 13th century written documents.

I’m convinced, that chess was a game for kings, not for a smith like the protagonist.

1 Like

The oldest Czech brewery is from 993. http://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Břevnovský_klášterní_pivovar

One of the oldest still open taverns has records going as far as 1499, but is probably far older. http://www.pivo-a-hospody.cz/hospodske-toulky/nejstarsi-hospody-v-praze-restaurace-u-fleku/

2 Likes

I hope that we can feel the atmosphere in these taverns, people playing games, chatting, laughing, drinking and listening to the music thats being played. It would be cool if the NPC’s do things you wouldnt expect at first. Maybe they could get angry over something and start to fight each other till someone stops that,

@Asgo Backgammon is already confirmed as a minigame, its one of the oldest games and was played back then, too (also known as (german) wurfzabel) I dont know whats also been played back then but chess or some card game would be nice too

Hi!

Not debating about beer, just it’s popularity compared to today, in 15th C. Ale was their Water and favourite beverage to drink (Generalised obviously).

Regards,
Warrior Rose.

Hi!

Love to see records of this (I really do), as chess was not a game of kings (haha) it has been depicted in manuscripts of Holy Orders, and more common folk than kings playing Chess. Example:

Two brothers of the Knights Templar playing chess, just the quickest thing I could find, as I’m currently researching into Literature of the Medieval & Renaissance Era.

Regards,
Warrior Rose.

What’s wrong with regular RPG dialouge? (except Bioware games)

• How are you today
    -Better
    -Ok
    -Bye
    -Bye

Or

-Killed two of them last night
-Really?
-Yes
-Bye
-Bye

This is basically how my conversations go IRL as well

1 Like

you talk to people? How outrageous. :wink:

1 Like

I am looking forward to playing backgammon or especially being able to watch NPCs playing the game. Being probably too lengthy to be played regularly as a minigame backgammon could still be great fun occasionally but if Warhorse could manage to capture/animate and dub the playing NPC’s reactions to the game it could be quite fun to watch them playing.

1 Like

Ah, o.k. I’ve misunderstood (english is not my forte, sorry)
Agrees what you write, as opposed to the former water quality it was sterile and was also used as a drink for children. Even if the alcohol content does not correspond to our present standard, had certainly a lot of fun, especially on hot summer days…:slight_smile:

@tunak - could imagine that a small dice game (about money) many might like :wink:

But yes of course. I usually don’t play them (don’t want to lose my hard-earned money looted from cooling bodies of vanquished foes or well-deserved for troublesome job of an errand-boy in a game based on a by-long-and-frequent-loading-screens-stricken-engine). But they should definitely be there.

1 Like

Hi!

You’re doing great with the English Language, I can understand what you say; so don’t worry!

They made heavily distilled ale that they’d use to quench their thirst, as no-one would drink actual water and it was given to animals. It was mainly because of the diseases and they commonly thought it was transmitted by water, so they made ale instead (Which involves boiling water, hence why it was safe to drink). Tudor Monastery Farm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tudor_Monastery_Farm) does an absolutley great job on covering issues like these, I’d recommend you watch the episodes.

Regards,
Warrior Rose.

1 Like