Bohemian houses?

Ah well that clears it up, I was talking about Europe not just central Europe.

Yeah a lot have wood on one side and lime on the other, If you give me a second ill snap a picture.

2 Likes

This thread is gold already!
thx for all the links and illustrations

Here is the extremely large cooking place I was talking about.

And the weird white bulb.

it looks like something resembling an oven but it lacks a chimney and the opening on the other side is extremely small.

2 Likes

Back in the day when they used to build timber houses there were holes and cracks in the framework. Because it was cold during winter they had to figure out how to plug those cracks to keep the heat inside. So they invented the insulation made out of clay mixed with horse dung, straws and water. It acted like a filler to plug up the gaps and cracks. After they finished with this the covered everything with a coat of lime to keep everything sanitized and to give it a fresh smell .
That bulb is a oven connecting the 2 room. They made fire in the other room that is the kitchen and it kept the bedroom nice and warm at the same time.

4 Likes

I know, I know but why coat only half the house?

Yeah but what about

?

let me go into the game and study this matter to see whats what and then i’ll try to come back with an answer :slight_smile:

Yes, that white thingy is oven used also for heating living room.

White plaster is only at the part of house, where people were sleeping = for izolation.

That kitchen is traditional Black kitchen (Smoke kitchen?). It is only in richer houses (Inn and I think Bailiff house?) It is quite long, but you don’t need to use it all, just places you need - Cauldron or plate or

2 Likes

Thats the residential part. But why not to lime the other part (where food is stored) is beyond me.

Good explanation, Metaldur. :thumbsup:

Edit:

Oh, that definitely makes sense. They didn’t need to isolate the pantries.

/End of edit/

Well the bulb is probably correct (there were similar furnaces used in poor rural mountainous parts of Slovakia until WWII - notice the furnace at the end of this video cut of quite interesting movie The Return of Dragon - no dragons harmed during filming, I promise https://www.google.cz/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB8QtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DyrcMpKxvr2s&ei=a3xNVNmAHefMyAPEnYLIAQ&usg=AFQjCNFeBAkKntR9TGffrKKji8c9MAH52w&sig2=NbobS-ZArYSxIhjK7AwKzg&bvm=bv.77880786,d.ZWU). It is that large to provide enough heat probably. But I would expect an opening for baking bread. Village such as Samopơe surely needed an oven for baking bread but I suppose each house had it’s own oven because there was enough wood. (In northern Africa where wood was scarce each neighbourhood had one common furnace used by every family.)
Another slovak furnaces:

http://fotky.sme.sk/foto/89682/pec-vo-vlkolinci?type=v&x=650&y=975

Wasn’t able to find better examples. But of course Slovakia is entirely different area / culture and especially during Middle Ages.

Ah that goes a long way to explain it. I believe the Inn and the blacksmith have the big kitchen

The oven in game lacks a chimney or it appears as such. Be careful of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Do you happen to have pictures of a real life example of the kitchen and oven?

same answers i was about to give just now. you guys beat me to it.
Also I think having houses that look different just ads to the immersion of the game. Just like in real life houses in a village are different . And during a set amount of time the owner is doing improvements to it. Who’s to say that in the act II or III the house will be completely covered with limestone and when you ask the owner what’s up he says something like " ohh i’ve been busy this last week or so improving my household " :slight_smile:

It doesn’t lack chimney. In the picture you can see an opening at the bottom and 2 smaller ones at the top on the side of the kitchen wall. Bottom is for making fire , top is for smoke to get out. After there is no wood to burn only embers they used to cover those smaller ones to keep the heat from escaping.

Ah I thought it worked like a Russian oven with a chimney but the smoke goes straight to the kitchen and then through the roof.

There is a chimney in the kitchens celling! :- )

not though the roof
if you go in the game into the house and you go close to the kitchen stove and you look up you will see the shape of the roof is pointy. That’s the chimney. Then go outside and round the house and look up
you’ll see the chimney smoking like a badass :smile:

Yeah that’s what I meant

For more good scientific information about peasant houses in medieval Bohemia:

http://www.ruralia.cz/sites/default/files/doc/pdf/347-356.pdf

2 Likes

Smoke from the oven goes back into the mid room (where black/smoke kitchen is situated) which itself, together with the properly shaped ceiling, works as a chimney.

2 Likes

If you build country house in middle europe is still loghouse(like our family weekend house). Normally you will use modern materials :slight_smile: but some peaple like it old way, like my family.

programming question.

Is the smoke added to the top of the chimney? or do the engine actually add the smoke to the fires and model where it goes?

You know instead of creating a new thread I think I might use this thread to ask a few more questions.

Most farmers in the village seem to be ploughing/weeding with a hoe, were draught animals used in Bohemia? Or was the hilly terrain of some parts unsuitable for this?

Correct, Ploughs should be used for certain, but I suppose they are a bit tricky to create so soon in the alpha version - imagine you need three simultaneously working objects (man and two oxes), with other things - plough, reins, ground

That is quite a challenge for the 3d modelling to make it look real and alive.

2 Likes