Bohemian houses?

You don’t need two oxes. Ploughs were commonly used with just one ox or even cow by poor farmers. But still it would be quite challenging for Warhorse considering current state of animations and clipping.

On the other hand current depiction of agriculture in the game balances on the silly boundary of nonsense. Nothing grows on their fields despite the game is set in late spring / early summer. :smiley:

Surely not that big deal.

Nothing grows on the fields? Than why have i found myself in the field of young wheat?

9 Likes

Are you sure that’s wheat? It probably is. Good point, my mistake.

But what do they cultivate their fiels for? Lucerne for animals? Lower parts of the lucerne would still remain there. Vegetable? Perhaps they harvested onion or potatoes… oh, wait a minute. Perhaps they harvested onion?

I have actually some experience with farming in central Europe (slightly warmer southern Slovakia frankly) and it seems to me their waste field make little sense. It could be perhaps buckwheat or course in case the game take place in late may.

I hope there will be few words for us to read in the game’s codex about medieval agriculture. :smiley:

in some field systems you left 1/4 or 1/3 of the area untouched each year… could be the explanation.

Another can be that the stuff is simply not yet added

You mean crop rotation? I agree they should use it but it’s surely not the case, because

• they farm it actively (from morning till night)
  • there should be weed growing on those untouched fields

:smiley:

Definitely conundrum. Or buckwheat. I like buckwheat. I would suppose it’s

The Buckweed Conundrum

yes, that is what it is called in English… couldn’t remember.

But good point about them working on it.

Potatoes? Really in early 15th century middle Europe…?? Think first please :wink:

1 Like

Oh, how embarassing.

Please don`t misquote me out of the context. Or better turn your undestaning skills on.

Thanks for the link. Interesting article that do show some of the challenges there are when using archaeological sources. Here in Denmark we also know more about 9th and 10th century peasant houses than we do about 13th century houses. Since the first where build with oak poles in the ground and we can find traces of the holes.
The later was build on a foundation of stones. The stones where reused… so there are no traces to be found.,

Interesting question I thought about the chimney smokes myself. Right now it’s a always enabled particle effect stick to the chimney independent of the fires. Also as in-house fires are now eternal it makes sense. Whether any of this will change or not however I cannot comment now.

2 Likes

Hi Dushin,

maybe I can tell something about this.
There are some different kinds of cooking places in this time period. In western central europe the two most different ways are the fireplace with chimney and the “black kitchen” without chimney. As you mentioned, in the black kitchen the smoke will go through the roof of the house. Those houses has only one story/level and under the big roof there is much place to store grain, hay, straw and such stuff. Like an somewhat open multi-level attic. If the smoke from the cooking place goes upwards, it goes through all of those stored stuff and expells vermin/bugs/rats etc. This was very common mostly in rural areas till the 16th century and onwards. Those fireplaces have only a kind of spark-shield above them, instead of a real ceiling. On some days, all of the house was filled with a bit of smoke and it burns in the eyes, but this method must be very efficient, because it was used for several centurys. I don’t have to write much about closed fireplaces with chimneys. I think in the game they mixed up some things… one additional big error about that: They don’t cook OVER the fire, but IN the fire, exept of caldrons and skewer. In both kinds of fireplaces, there would be a sort of stone platform, sometimes with room for wood and stuff under it, and ON this platform they make a fire (not IN or UNDER it like in the game). If there was enough embers, they put the cooking pots in it. To regulate the heat, you can put it more to the fire or put it away. For this reason, many of the cooking pots have small legs. I think in the game they mistaken this, too.
As some of the others say, the round oven in the living area was fired from the kitchen on the other side of the wall throug a firehole. In houses with a “black kitchen” they usually have no chimneys, but the smoke goes through the firehole in the kitchen.

Greetings, Tobias

A “black kitchen” On the right back of the woman, you can hardly see the firehole for the oven.

Same, photo taken with flashlight.

This one has a chimney, or a elaborated sparkle-shield (Rauchfang). Dating to the 1800th century.

1 Like

OK, on this one you can see the firehole an the right side of the woman. On the other side of the wall, there is the living area with the oven.You can easyly imagine, why it is called a “black kitchen”

1 Like

nice pictures keep it coming. here are some random ones:

at what time does the game play exactly?

2 Likes

I will just leave this here for you to click through.

1 Like

Interesting place is near Liberec (northern Bohemia) with name Curia Vitkov, its"magnate court" reconstruction (12th century)

https://www.google.cz/search?q=curia+vítkov&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=zMBwVOWVFqr4ywPhqYKwAg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1680&bih=882
http://foto.curiavitkov.cz/main.php

It begins in the year 1403. I’m not 100% sure if it remains that year throughout the whole game or not, but if you check out the videos on the Home Page you can see more about overall vision for the game.

Hope this helps :wink:

http://www.vmp.cz/virtualniprohlidka/indexen.html?lok=2&prohl=45 not exactly bohemia and most of it its from 18 century but you can see there almost everything.