Bows and stealth

So in RPGs bows are often considered stealth weapons. But anyone who has ever shot a bow knows they are not quiet and you are easily noticeable when drawing the bow back because it requires a large movement. In addition to all that arrows rarely kill someone instantly so theres a good chance the person you shot will be screaming which would set off the alarm.

So will certain weapons be better for stealth in this game or will stealthing with a long sword be as quiet as using a dagger?

7 Likes

Hi,

Agreed with you point about screaming. You have to be a good archer (Yeoman, Retinue, anyone English or Welsh by default :P) to be able to pinpoint an instantly fatal hit (brain, heart, throat, maybe lungs too). Any shot to non-vital parts of the body, and if the person does not loose consciousness then he’ll either scream for help or embrace death.

Drawing a bow is very stealthy, otherwise us hunters would not be able to kill deer, elk, foxes, pheasants, and rabbits. It does depend on the size of your bow as well, this is of course a factor.

As for quietness, they can be. However they aren’t always with the subtle twang of the string or with bad fletchings.

Opposed to a longsword, a bow has alot more stealth I personally believe, no shininess and not as cumbersome. However a dagger is the most subtle way I know of other than poison for killing someone quietly, the only problem is getting to them first.

Regards,
Warrior Rose.

5 Likes

Good point how ever i think sneaking around a castle with a longbow would get you spotted pretty easily.

True but in a quiet castle at night the noise would probably make someone suspicious. I know that some people who hunt bear with bows actually have silencers for their bows because the bears can be alerted by the twang.

Completely agree. I wonder if Warhorse will add a kill move feature for stealth that will allow you to put your hand over their mouth as you stab them.

i’m not sure when silencers for bowstrings were invented, that would be a major factor. however, longswords should be just as stealthy as daggers, from a sound perspective. maybe make them more visible than daggers, but if someone is looking right at you, your probably stealthing wrong. besides, stealth decapitations would be awesome

Why do you hunt foxes for?

shits and giggles :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well i could name several reasons. I don’t know about the U.K but in the U.S you hunt foxes, and coyotes to help other populations.

Lets say the deer population is struggling because there are too many coyotes. So many coyotes are hunted which allows the deer population to stabilize. Nature has its own way of population control how ever ours is much more efficient. Naturally the coyotes kill all the deer then starve to death. Since all the coyotes are dead the deer return. How ever this takes a long time.

Another thing is disease. If the population gets too big disease becomes a problem and that can be very devastating. Hunting Elk was heavily restricted in my state and the population exploded. The result was a massive disease that completely wiped out the native elk population. So they had to reintroduce a new one.

Last but not least i believe it is some what of a tradition to hunt Foxes in England. I had a teacher who participated in a fox hunt in England and some old women spit in his face.

They’re supposed to be very clever which would make the hunt all the more challenging and fun. Huting rabbit is quite boring. They’re so fucking stupid. They just sink down low and look terrified and if you miss they just walk two feet away and plop down again.

Plus Foxes have pretty pelts :wink:

2 Likes

I understand hunting them for the reasons you said before, but for shits and giggles its just pathetic. Tradition by Upper middle class, cowards on horses with hounds, they just old fucks who have nothing to do, whilst dragging their saggy ballsacks on the pavement. People who hunt for fun and not for meat or control are pathetic and sadistic. Thats just my opinion, hopefully theyll get shot and ripped to pieces by dogs :slight_smile: Would pay to see that, actually, would be the one shooting them

1 Like

Well i wont deny it. Hunting is fun. I enjoy hitting the rabbit on the first shot and its satisfying as it goes down quickly.

I think the rules around hunting fox are very strict. I bet they’re only allowed to take maybe 1 or 2 a year and this does help with population control.

2 Likes

whats if though these people enjoy hunting and in the process are helping the reasons @SirWarriant stated ?

1 Like

I shoot rabbits in my yard because they dig under my house, under my fence ruin my grass and aren’t that good for my dog when she eats them (she swallows them whole :smile:). They also can carry the plauge and other nasty things.

Its also enjoyable at the same time. And when i kill them i leave them in my field and some other animal has a nice meal later that night :wink: Its good target practice and has a purpose at the same time.

2 Likes

its a bit of a touchy issue here (tree huggers and such cry about it ) as to where you can do it however i believe you have to have a licence to hunt in a certain area and thats how they balance how many foxes or whatever are killed as a result. in that particular area .

as for hunting with a gun you can only do that on private land with the owners permission and i could be wrong but i think with the correct paper work you can do it on certain royal parks which were originally for the kings/queens to hunt in

1 Like

https://www.gov.uk/hunting/what-you-can-hunt-and-when

almost right its done by seasons of when your allowed to hunt.

apart from smaller animals in which you can hunt all year

@SirWarriant so in the uk we can hunt with guns but not cross bows and normal bows ? dafuq up with that shit

3 Likes

Yeah i had a teacher who participated in a fox hunt. He noticed a crowd of people and he thought they were there to watch the fox hunt but this old women came up and spat in his face :smile:

Ah thats the opposite of here. You can legally shoot a gun on your land if you have 9+ acres but they only allow hunting in national parks if the population is out of control.

Sounds like here. Elk and other large game have seasons. Coyotes i think you can kill all year round though because they’re pests and their population is out of control. Bird hunting also has a season. Ive been dove hunting a few times when i was little and damn does it taste good. Like chicken, steak, and turkey combined.

Really? Thats dumb. Crossbows are banned in my state because some guy shot the town mascot which was a deer that people would feed. I think it was lifted recently though. Hunting with bows is a blast and i really want to hunt big game with them.

I have an 80 lb compound collecting dust at my house. When you shoot rabbits with it they either get pinned or it goes straight through them and out the other side. :smiley:

If you ever visit the U.S i recommend you go big game hunting.

@TobiTobsen do you know if bows will be good stealth weapons or not?

master troll

[quote=“SirWarriant, post:14, topic:23057”]
I have an 80 lb compound collecting dust at my house. When you shoot rabbits with it they either get pinned or it goes straight through them and out the other side.

If you ever visit the U.S i recommend you go big game hunting.
[/quote] id love to have a go . i have done a bit of hunting .

but only birds with a shotgun

1 Like

Yes indeed. But i would much rather hunt with a normal bow. Crossbows are like guns.

Did you ring their necks or pull the heads off? We pulled the heads off of the doves we killed and one actually flew a few feet. Its freaky.

1 Like

only crows/magpies just left errm where they fell

Oh… Well that makes sense i imagine both of those wouldn’t taste very good :wink:

1 Like

Hunting fox in the UK have nothing to do with controlling anything.