Broken Weapons and Armour in Deliverance?

Hello all,
I was thinking something which would be very realistic - weapons breaking on impact.

Consider this - due to much stress, any steel tends to suffer affliction over time and it will eventually break in some point.

This is valid primarly for swords, as they are most difficult to forge and due to low quality steel back then these are the most prone to breakage.

For example in-game a sword hitting a hard metal object like steel armour or steel canted shield should result in a negative impact to sword’s overall durability plus a random chance of breakage depending on the type of hit, target and sword’s quality.

It can be extended so that maces, hammers and axes could also break in some point, albeit more rarely than swords. Maybe their wooden handles could break more often due to stress
rather than their steel heads, as this is the case with woodcutting axes in real life. And it will be good if a well placed hit in the wooden shaft could crack or even split it, thus rendering the weapon useless.

Finally, I think that armours and shield should also decline over time. Armours may crack in places and/or reveal weak spots for a weary attacker to exploit. Shields could become battered over time with broken cantings and with punctures through them by arrows or picks, degrading their defence capabilities and eventually rendering them useless.

Of course, all equipment which degrades should present negative effect to its initial stats. Armour and shield degradation will make these items to offers less protection for the wearer and bladed weapons would usually get edge damage, making them less effective for cutting or suffer a rolled points making them less effective for thrusting.

Important aspect to consider is that not any damage to the equipment is reversible or repairable. A skilled blacksmith may be able to repair rolled or broken point to a sword or to reshape and sharpen its ragged edges, but eventually the steel and heat treatment would wear out and the sword will become useless and prone to failure no matter. So that it has to be smelted and forged again or just left behind as garbage or used in barter with the blacksmith for a newer weapon (he could almost always use the steel for something else). Same thing goes for other war equipment too.

If the above suggestions are implemeted in Deliverance it would most definitely improve the gameplay and immersion a lot, because the player would be forced to consider maintaining his weapons and armour to his best abilities. Besides, the player would always strive to get the best possible weapons not because their higher damage like in any typical stupid game (which shouldn’t be a big factor anyway), but because their quality and durability in which he could trust his life.
Also, in some point, he would have to change his weapon and armor nonetheless because of the stress they took.

Thank you for your time!

5 Likes

Would be a very nice idea but I would not expect this in the Act 1 since its a lot of work.

1 Like

It’s planned to have breakable Armor, Weapons and Cloths :slight_smile:

14 Likes

WoW :slight_smile: you made my day!

swords don’t just break at random in combat. European iron was not of poor quality like, say Japanese iron.
(they had to do all that bending exactly because of the poor quality of the iron)

A European sword is made to be flexible… so it do not simply break because it hits armor.
Sure if you fight with a sword daily for a year, it becomes a problem…

The ability to sharpen a weapon will be in the game, and that is fine… since that would be needed.

But breakage at random like you suggest is not realistic… or fun.

2 Likes

Well, yes. Also, even if you make heavy work on a, for example, plate chest piece, it won’t take away from its usefulness significantly. Naturally, having to repair stuff is perfectly fine for me, Henry is a blacksmith after all. :slight_smile:
What I would kind of like to see, however, mainly for aesthetic/immersion reasons, is rust on the metal. No biggie, seriously, just some kind of a texture overlay that comes with time and/or use and rain. I almost said that the time frame of KCD does not makes this “necessary”, but then I realized, that for example, the simple, uncoated carbon steel parts of my weapons tend to rust just after a few days of use. Even the fingerprints are somewhat easy the see on them.

3 Likes

I think people should remember there are other weapons other than swords. Bows can break spears the haft might brake. Your shield could get deformed ect.

1 Like

he didn’t suggest random. i suggest you re-read his post

1 Like

GOD DAMN TOBI!!! Arghhh, this game… 11/10 would buy again!

1 Like

Wait wait!:slight_smile: It’s not out yet! Relax… it’s like with cinema movies… if you are too hyped… you can just get disappointed! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

We have still a lot of development in front of us! So just stay tuned and watch our updates! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

11/10 would buy again since the Alpha 0.1 :smiley:

1 Like

You are not correct here! There are A LOT of evidence in history of European swords breaking in combat.
You can’t assume that every sword in the Middle Ages was forged from pure steel, neither it was heat treated with utmost success.
And I meant that steel back then was of very poor quality compared to MODERN steel, not between Europe or Japan or anywhere else. Modern steels are way better in every aspect (wootz steel aside), but even nowadays there are some rare cases of sword breaking when cutting very hard targets or in stage combat (check youtube).
So, don’t say it is impossible to break a sword in battle, because it is fully possible, although rare.
And as @213 nicely said I didn’t meant just random breakage, but logical and comprehensive possibility of breaking instead.

1 Like

There were even common tactic for breaking ones sword. If it got stuck on enemy shield that guy with shield would take a step or two towards you thus bending sword a lot and if not really good made sword it would brake.

1 Like

Well maybe not bend since Longswords or European swords were not designed like katanas. They didnt have soft middle part to have the swords as sharp as possible. Katanas, people say are amazing, but if you hit a hard surface with them, then they will bend and you wont be able to use them. Samurai warriors usually had two swords with them, knight had one and a dagger/knife. European sword if well made would not shatter on impact, it would take long time for a sword of a good quality to break. It was not easy to break them, you would have to hit a hard surface the WOULD NOT MOVE, in a sword fight when you parry or block with your sword, it often softens the impact. However there are cases of swords breaking in battle, one of the reasons the knights were also trained for hand to hand combat, as in my sword breaks, I have to take down my opponent and stab him in his face with my dagger or im dead.

1 Like

That’s why they would most likely break when stuck to shield and pushed from shield guy cause they were not made to bend at all. Ulfberht for example was made with similar steal like damascos swords had.

1 Like

This is like 400 years before the game took place though. Although i dont completely agree with @ThomasAagaard that swords never broke it would be way less common for them to break in the 1400s then to break when the vikings were still around. Most vikings used axes anyway for the reason someone said above if a low quality sword got caught in a shield it could break. Only the rich vikings used swords which were high quality.

1 Like

You have some strong points. Metallurgy in 1400 is way better than metallurgy around 900, but consider the fact that famous “Ulfberht” swords were forged probably from wootz steel (the so-called true damascus) which is considered one of the best steels of all time used for swords. A recent scientific study has discovered nano particles in the steel which has much to do about its renowned properties. Unfortunately, the ancient technology of wootz steel is forever lost to mankind, but I hope someone would figure it out eventually just like that person in the video does.

1 Like

As from my experience we broke 3 swords in 5 years of heavy usage. And i think they were broken because of wrong angle on hitting and material failure. Swords are flexible and can take a lot of punishment, there are swords in our group that took 6 or more years of punishment and didn’t break. And some that broke after a month because of material failure. If swords will be degraded in this game after sword fight they can not be simply resharpened, after taking some dmg the sword will have damaged edge. And the swords of lesser quality should break more often than higher quality swords. As you sad much depends on material that will be used for the sword.

1 Like

my hema group breaks quite a few of swords, and it is pretty much at random, for all intents and purposes. there’s usually an obvious cause but you never know when the material is going to fail, and thats with modern steel.

1 Like

Some of you should reread the original post.

yes, he did suggest that things break at random.

Did things break in combat? offcause. But it did not break randomly like the OP suggests.

Weapons are made to work. If you buy a new sword and know that it is so likely to break at random…
Would you be willing to trust it with your life?

We already know that sharpening will be in the game.

Sure add durability so weapons and armor do break with time. But the risk of breakage should not be there until an item gets low on durability.

HEMA:
when a sword break it often look random, but it should be weapons that have been used for training for years. so well used.
(if not, then you should get hold of you smith and get him to replace it)

2 Likes