Changes to Saving + Lockpicking are coming

I hope so.

I just finished getting lvl 12 lockpicking and now I can go after very hard chests or doors without the “too difficult” prompt and it lets me finish the minigame. It’s a bit more difficult than hard but very doable. So lvl 12 lockpicking must be some sort of limit you have to reach before you can go after all the good stuff.

Have you ever heard of MODDING?

1 Like

I agree, in basically every game, you can get everything you want easily. It was interesting to me to have to decide if trying to open a hard lock was worth it or not. Once you’ve picked a “hard” lock with controller, easy is easy.

There are a myriad of other things that i love about this game, like constant harassment by the guards for having tattered clothes.

Looked like the OP was being sarcastic.

I hope picking gets harder and you can only save when you sleep.

If things get easier 
 PATHETIC! Refund

2 Likes

I’ve found that skill level 15 is the sweet spot for lockpicking, I think at this point you can pick any lock regardless without too much problem

1 Like

Lockpicking is too easy??!
It’s extremely hard, especially when you consider this is a fairly realistic game.
I pick locks for fun, I can get into some modern locks with paper clips, zip ties or chicken bones. It wasn’t hard to pick up and I’ve got friends to open a few padlocks after only a few minutes of instruction on basic techniques.

Locks from the middle ages were much simpler warded locks, which if you want an easy mental 2d picture the inside of the lock would be somewhat like a maze with wards/wardings to stop the lock from being opened by a different key or a key shaped piece of metal, they are also where the idea of a skeleton key comes from as many warded locks from the same locksmith would open the same way but have a different arrangement of wards, once you knew the part of the key that would throw the bolt (open the lock) you could file the key down so it had nothing but that part and it would open many locks.
Of course a pick could be used too and turned to throw the bolt in a lock, you would do that by inserting the pick and turning it until you meet light resistance and continue turning it; once that pick is lined up there is no need to move it up and down or side to side.
In other words, with these types of locks there is no need to “turn the lock with your blade” as instructed in the tutorial is like trying to turn a house around while holding the lightbulb to screw it in; absurd.

You could argue that the lockpicks in the game are middle age lockpicks but even today some of the best lockpicks in the world are hand made using scrap steel (“street steel”) a file and some sandpaper to polish the edges.

Link to a pic of a warded lock, if the key was filed down so that only the bit that engaged with the bolt remained it would still work. The same goes for inserting a bit of metal and turning it. Of course much more elaborate designs existed but the principle remains the same.

So either keep the current mechanic, or change it for something more realistic.

If the developers were to change it they could have a similar design to the current one but instead of having to find the “sweet spot” you rotate the pick and if it touches the sides of the wards it makes noise (metal grinding on metal), the design could even be almost identical to the current one other than you always start off at the ‘beginning’ of the lock and the wards are invisible (More complex locks featured dead ends or were cut three dimensionally so one part of the key would have to be shorter than the rest) as the pick rotates for the first time it draws a trace of what the lock looks like internally over the blank picture of the lock. Very easy locks would just require you to pick the right spot and rotate the pick until the lock opens (though hand tremors may cause you to scrape the sides if you aren’t careful) this would be realistic and would have realistic difficulty. Harder locks could have two or three bolts that need unlocking with the pick meaning you have to repeat the process again using a different configuration. Opening a bolt would make a fairly loud click.

As for savegames, I would LOVE to be able to quit the game so my graphics card didn’t sound like a hairdryer, I could also spend more money on any upcoming DLC, rather than a huge electric bill from leaving this running in the background.

Ok so I have an idea for the save system and its a simple one that will keep the game as realistic as it should be without people crying they cant save when they need to or want to, implement a camping kit so they can sleep and save the game, this will also stop them from save and exit spamming as it will work the same way as a normal bed does, how people never thought about it or I haven’t seen it posted more often is beyond me

Camping HAS been thought of
 there was another topic on the idea of camping kits
 for me, I would enjoy it just for a bit more immersion.

As for the save system, I haven’t had any trouble with it at all. I don’t even USE the schnapps method
 it’s just not hard to save without it
 beds are pretty damn easy to come by. lol

That being said, if they could introduce camping kits, then yeah
 I could see that being another valid save option
 a lot more viable than the idea of a magic save potion (coughs schnapps)
 which makes NO sense to me.

Anyway, beds are easy
 not sure what the huge save issue is.

Sorry but i like the save system and the lockpick. Been waiting for a realistic game like this forever. Henry is a complete rookie and has never picked a lock in his life. Stick to very easy locks at first
get practice or find a trainer(i use controller). Im enjoying the realism and difficulty. It really gives you something to work for. We need a game like this.

totally agree i just think they should add a save and quit option when you need to leave quickly. It wouldnt change the game so that you can quicksave all the time but would still help people with small play times

Yeah that works

BTW lockpicking isnt that hard you just need to skill it up :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The saving system is realistic and fun, I agree. If it’s making the game too hard just practice the combat.

I don’t want it to be easier, it really isn’t hard. Just a learning curve

i know its maybe to late But i want to say that saving system is nice but in game without bugs :slight_smile: as other says they just made some sort of iron man option when u can choose if u want to use schnaps or dont

The save and exit will help quite a lot. I’ve wasted literally over 10 hours because of a lack of save functionality: this includes time spent re-starting after a bug, after dying, or time spent looking for a bed just to save the game before exiting.

So you’re incapable of brewing or buying saviour schnapps? That’s your fault, not the saving system

When I first tried lockpicking, holy hell, god awful
 now I have almost no problem with it. Then again I’ve only done Very Easy to Easy locks

most people just overreacted when they couldnt figure out how it works in the first 10-20 tries
but I dont mind if they make it a little easier (on console) it shouldnt be too easy
 imo its enough to make it a little easier when henry has no skillpoints cause thats where most people freaked out, they didnt have lockpicking skill and weren’t able to do it

1 Like