Combat, Blocking, and Parrying in 0.4

I don’t have a single problem with mouse. I always manage to guess exactly which position I want. Try to decrease your mouse sensitivity. I bet that’s the real problem.

Emm I do have a mousepad ;O and no, the cycle direction system is not good for mouse and keyboard, I think people would prefer the pointed direction system, and there was a talk about this before and people said that combat for k+m would be point direction, which seems more logical than scroll…

I enjoy combat the way it is. My only trouble is for counter-attacking : When fps is 18, it is hard to block at the right time :smiley:

1 Like

I Agree with sully9088. Please add this as option. You allready did this, so just add option to turn this off. It’s easy and close to realty.

2 Likes

Adore this combat system. It’s something never exist before in computer gaming on this planet!!!
WH - you are awesome!
All this things about keyboard/mouse control is just reaction to something absolutely new. People shoould use to it. In your combat you should think each second not just press a key!!! It’s absolutely out of this world! AMAZING!!!

Well, I just spent hour dueling that hardest enemy in arena, and I can tell you… parry and dodge are absolutely useless right now :smiley: If I dont want to get hit, moving backwards is THE BEST option available, it never fails… Unlike bloody parry, which has like 10% success rate goddamnit :smiley:
So far easiest way to fight is to rush towards them, clinch the swords, mash button for stab, which will disorient him, and chain 3-5 attacks in row until you are out of stamina… then start retreating backwards until your stamina is full, rinse and repeat. It never fails, 10 clear victories in row without getting hit :smiley:

I guess AI enhancements will solve this, so I can´t just kite him around waiting for my stamina… And parry just needs a bit wider time window to react, its way too strict for me atleast.

2 Likes

PC controls, at least the mouse with regards to direction changing needs work.

1 Like

I really like the way you guys try to bring in awsome new ideas, but since Ive lost the battle nr 15 Im kind of depressed :stuck_out_tongue: I use mouse and keyboard and in my eyes its waaayy to difficult - or its to real cause I also wouldn win a real swordfight :wink: but for real do you think about a difficultsetting so its possilbe to win a fight even if youre not a real knight? :smiley:

Try above mentioned instructions by me, it should help you :slight_smile:

Just spam Q and infinite counter attack

Need to be fixed

does anyone know how to get a guy to the ground? every time i would just push them back but nothing more.

i wonder if there’s some kind of kill move on a downed guy? maybe you can initiate some kind of struggle on a downed opponent, to force them to give up or press the weapon into a weaks spot.

Complete agree with this. For me the controls with keyboard and mouse are currently utterly frustrating. Since I play mostly first-person games, it’s in my muscle memory to move mouse in the opposite direction from the strafing direction (A or D keys) to keep my view fixed on an object. But in the combat this moves the invisible mouse poiter to the far left or far right. So then to be able to change the attack direction, I need to move my mouse a significant distance back. Since the cursor position is invisible, this is completely unpredictable and frustrating.

I am not sure how anyone is able to select the attack direction predictably by using the absolute position of an invisible cursor relative to some fixed point. Victor seemed to be able do it just fine during the live stream, but I can’t wrap my head around it. I would very much prefer a predictable control, like selecting the direction based on the the direction in which the mouse cursor is moving at a given moment. Maybe this will also not work, and the only solution is to use a “special padded mouse pad”, as suggested by @SasekUprchlik, basically converting a mouse into a joystick :wink:

I see a great potential in the combat system, but currently the controls are so unpredictable that chosing a direction is impossible for me, and combining this with the unpredictability of parry/dodge it just feels like one-button mashing.

2 Likes

To nmk: what do you mean “invisible cursor” if inthe middle of the screen you see a colored cursor with red color to choosen direction? AND you hands (!) are in certain position

So far I have about 3 Hrs of just combat play in 0.4 update.

I started of by trying it on the keyboard, and well I couldn’t do much of anything (im useless with keyboard/mouse in any game).

Then I got in their with my gamepad and it was a great deal easier to maneuver and block more timely.

I got my ass handed to me my first few fights (FPS drops being a large factor), after adjusting my settings I started dominating the lowest level fighter.

Each time I went up a difficulty I had to almost lose or lose before getting used to it.

I now destroy the arena fighters, many times without getting hit. I have almost defeated both Cumans at the same time its really hard to manage two fighters, the only way I defeated them so far was pin cushioning them from a far first then rush in with a stab to kill one and then 1vs1 the final guy.

Damn I look good in this helm.

2 Likes

Basically I’m referring to the fact that the controls have a hidden state. Let me be more specific. I was trying the combat for quite a long time to get a hang of it and understand how it works, so this is my impression.

Suppose that the current attack position is from the left: the center reticle shows this by highlighting the left tick, and your arms are on the left. Now I want to attack from the top: how do I move my mouse to accomplish that? The answer is: it depends on the hidden state. Sometimes you need to move the mouse to the right first, then top. Other times moving to the top is enough. Sometimes you need to move quite far.

So what I guess is happening is that the current position of the mouse pointer on the screen (the one that is usually indicated by a mouse cursor, the arrow in windows) with respect to the center of the screen determines the attack position. I suppose the screen is divided into 5 regions… If you want to change the attack direction you have to move the mouse pointer to another region. But since the actual mouse position is hidden (the cursor is invisible), there is no clear indication of which direction the mouse needs to move.

2 Likes

Combat is super, only bullet time please no, annihilated medieval atmosphere

4 Likes

I’m assuming the “invisible cursor” re-centers itself into the middle of the screen automatically as you battle. I wonder if it gets “stuck” in one direction sometimes because I too notice that it doesn’t change fighting positions as I intend when I move the mouse in the direction I want Henry to go. Maybe there is lag during animations? Or maybe its the slow-mo effect that messes it up? I don’t know. WIP I guess. WH has plenty of time to smooth it over before final version

Combat mechanics are solid and it works pretty well… for 1v1. 1v2 is just about abuse of the AI (1 gets stuck or you walk back and kill one with bow and duel other one - not even remotely ready).

Gamepad is preferable choice for combat. Mouse is just awkward to use and i’m using mouse only for lockpicking now.

Few mentioned this in the topic and i also don’t like the bullet time. It’s silly and more annoying than rewarding. I rather fight without it and have naturally-flowing experience. You already don’t have free flowing combat and are Always locked to an enemy, this mechanic doesn’t make it feel any better.
I had begginer fighter counter almost everything and it totally breaks the fighting atmosphere and instead of fluid fight, we have cutscenes.
They want to have more “special-moves” and they will be probably tied to this system… Maybe as like finisher, if i think my enemy is weakend enough, but through-out the fight from start - i don’t like it.

2 Likes

not really. time slows down is a perception thing for ages. bullet time as a term was only invented in 1999 by the matrix and subsequently capitalized as a visual and gameplay concept. that’s why it is strongly associated with it. it’s not so much a “modern” thing, as it is a cinematic or artistic thing and lends itself perfectly to any gameplay function in which the perception must be manipulated.

furthermore, it is a cue to indicate a successful parry.

Yes but it still would be nice to have an option to turn it off. All I need for a cue that I did a successful parry is that my opponent didn’t land his attack.

1 Like