Combat, Blocking, and Parrying in 0.4

I eagerly tried out the new combat mechanics as soon as the 0.4 update downloaded.

I feel that the current reticule for blocking and aiming is inaccurate when a mouse is being used. It seems more geared towards the thumbsticks of a gamepad. Blocking and parrying are far more frustating and cumbersome than they should be.

The issue is is that there is no reference point for the mouse. Thus, there’s always guesswork involved in determining which motion is required to block in a certain direction.

I would suggest placing a cursor of some sort in the current reticule to help indicate which way the reticule is going to move when the mouse moves.

What do you guys think?

4 Likes

There is. When you move the mouse in certain directions one of the little bars light up. That’s how you tell which direction you’re attacking from.

Blocking isn’t directional though. You merely press the block button as they attack.

Ive found that you sort of have to tap q to block. Pressing it once usually doesn’t work.

Over all I’m very impressed with the combat system. I attempted to fight two cumans forgeting they wouldn’t 1v1 one me. I was dead in under 10 seconds losing an hour of progress my sword and all my armor :smile:

Holding Q doesn’t drain stamina, nor does attacking.

@TobiTobsen topic right for you ! :smiley: What I HAAAATE so much is that when i move my mouse UP the attack direction is not going to the top arrow, as in overhead strike, i have to ‘‘scroll’’ (move my mouse to the right) to get the direction I want and its really frustrating …

2 Likes

@anna @SasekUprchlik
I agree to @MINTEEER
immediately pointed direction sytem will be better as cycle direction system.
But I’ve finished the tutorial very acceptable!
And with lost crosshairs it was even harder!
So much to “New awesome bugs ; )” A+

2 Likes

Actually this is something for @anna @SasekUprchlik and the QA Team :slight_smile:

1 Like

Combat works fine with gamepad, easy to get the basics, worse to make your fingers do what you want. Stamina seems to drain a bit too fast though, can’t hardly do a combo and block afterwards.

I am Useless with Mouse and keyboard.

I am not sure if I just have bad timing some times but I have noticed with the gamepad that in order to have a successful block I have to choose which side, so semi directional with gamepad (that or im imagining it).

Only one flaw there is that it doesn’t work well… Some times there is just no time to correct. Very often it goes to wrong “bar”. It sure does need more work.

1 Like

I would like to add something,
Mouse and keyboard is hard but i like it
and hit the trainer many many times.
A++++

1 Like

I mentioned similar thing here: ►Alpha 0.4 Bug List

Though I am not really shure it is right direction.
Biggest problem is that you have to wait for animations to get into certain point to issue another “instruction”.

1 Like

really liking it so far. a lot of depth and variety. but yeah switching direction is a bit unresponsive sometimes, but i think with proper optimized fps and smoother animation, it might mitigate things. also, i think your direction switching is faster if you level up combat or strength? might just be an illusion though.

Really like the combat system, finally someone got it right!

Also had problems with mouse and stances last night. Tonight, I will try with a controller. I’m sure small gameplay issues like this will be ironed out eventually.

Couple of related questions come to mind:

1. So how exactly does counter-attacking work? Many times I managed to counter-attack, only to be often counter-counter-attacked and I could never respond to that.
  2. Can you choose a direction of a counter-attack? Does it even matter?
  3. How can you parry a stab?
  4. Combos - are they even useful? (with risk of being counter-attacked)?
  5. Can I start a combo from a counter-attack?
1 Like

Our combat programmers use special padded mouse pad, maybe it will solve your problem…
:grin: :grin: :horse:

2 Likes

should not it be added to the physical tiers of funding?

1 Like

I really hope that one day this will be compatible with some kind of Wii nunchuck or other movement capture method, and you guys will sell prop swords for the game.
…I am hoping for this for absolutely no reason other than I want to check out so many photos of f*cked up living rooms with chrushed ceiling lamps, broken tables and such. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I remember when on wii was relased “Red Steel”. Using katana with nunchuck…
simply Amazing!

Forgive me, I meant to say parrying instead of blocking. Parrying is directional, and that’s there the issue lies.

When I said point of reference, I didn’t mean the bars that indicate the direction that one is blocking from. Rather, a point of reference is an area that defines the central axis from where the reticule and device can move. For example, a gamepad has a point of reference because the thumbstick lies at rest in a central position if no one is moving it. Because it has that centre to refer to, it’s easy to map and understand exactly which direction the thumbstick should move. Because a mouse is not attached to anything like a thumbstick is, there is no resting position for the mouse’s laser to return to. The movements that one makes with their hands alon when in combat on a mouse along with the natural tremors that the body makes will continually shift the mouse from its original position on the desk. Thus, it’s more difficult to make the exact same motion each time with the mouse. This is why I suggested a cursor being placed on the reticule, so that it’s easier to tell how our mouse is moving in tandem with the reticule.

I’m not sure I like the slowing of time when I successfully parry. I feel that it halts my flow when battling. I keep missing the counter parry to my opponent’s riposte because it goes from slow-motion to normal speed and back to slow-motion. In those instances I feel like I’m playing a mini-game and not sword fighting. Could we have an option to turn this effect off? It also ruins a bit of the realism to me (just my opinion). I’m not requesting to eliminate the effect! Just an option to turn it off for the more hardcore crowd.

4 Likes

I’m getting 8 - 14 fps in the arena with my GTX470, and I’m still having a good time. With some polishment and a new graphic card this is gonna be amazing!!!