Compounds and recurves. opinions?

Maybe not the power, but they are incredibly accurate when shot by someone who knows how to use it, just like a gun. I was also making a point to how they are treated as modern rifles with sights and lasers.

Only the craftsman would ever shoot the bow if it was a traditional english longbow, because they arent bought to be shot most of the time, they are bought by collectors. Most people just buy cheap recurves online for 200 to 400 dollars, although the nicer ones can get up there over the price of compounds. I am in no way saying that doesnt mean they cant be shot, but with things that cost that much people are reluctant to put it to use. http://www.thelongbowshop.com/categories/Bows/Longbows/Eaton-Longbows/ this is one of my favorite sites, and these are nice bows straight from england, and not quite as expensive as you thought, although some of the ravenbacks are up there with what you said.

please read earlier posts. Never said that, They just shoot distances that are average for traditional shooters, when they should be shooting at 50 to 90 yards.

I changed the name originally to screw with warriant, at first it was just Compounds VS traidional opinions? I wasnt trying to be a dick, just wondering what was so alluring about compound bows.

Crossbows have shorter range but do more damage and penetrate deeper. Bows have longer range but dont have as much penetration this is a fact. That website didn’t prove me wrong.

Guns are way more accurate.

They make the bows the way they were made in medieval England. They are not meant to sit on display they are meant to shoot.

Wrong why would you buy an expensive extremely well crafted English longbow and not use it just because it was expensive. They are meant to be shot they aren’t going to break unless you treat them poorly. They were used on a battlefield and put through very harsh conditions. Would you buy a nice fancy car and not use it simply because it was expensive?

As i said above i like traditional bows better but i already had two really nice compound bows that i got for free and i enjoy shooting them. Archery as you may know is pretty expensive but i would love to buy an english longbow some day.

1 Like

Because you dont want it to break.

Yes it did, go back and read the speeds, the compound does releases with about the same energy and can go farther, making it equivalent to modern crossbows. Its kind of stupid how a crossbow would do more damage but not go as far, that just doesn’t make any sense, its all about the force behind the arrow and the arrow tip. Saying one does more damage from close range makes no sense, because they have the same release speed so at the same range they would do equal damage.

Do your bows just break on you all the time? If your treating it well its not going to just break. Its a very well made weapon not some shitty knock off. These weapons were made for war if they broke this easily then the countless countries that used bows would have used something that took way less time to make and didn’t require a skilled craftsmen.

While this may not be true for modern crossbows it was true for medieval crossbows. They had shorter range but could penetrate much deeper hence why they were so effective against plate armor and war bows were not.

Well we arent arguing about medieval crossbows are we?

I think it has to do with medieval crossbows’ bolts and strings compared to modern day examples.
Modern crossbows usually use some form of a cam just like compound bows. Also, the most powerful of them have a complex lever system for reloading, because they can reach draw weight impossible for bows. I think that @SirWarriant is correct on the fact that medieval crossbow bolts flied straighter than an arrow and penetrated deeper, but had poorer aerodynamics and failed at long distances. Modern crossbows should theoretically have the same range like any compound bow of a similar draw weight, but I think for advanced usage the bow is the superior weapon because neither animals nor humans today wear any kind of armor. :smile:
In Walking Dead series all is too fake to begin with. Dixon goes and shoots his crossbow like it is a shotgun…

1 Like

I paid 700€ for my yew longbow and I shoot it - why buy a bow if you don´t wanna shoot it?

1 Like

And why would it break?
If you buy a bow crafted for shooting it´s meant to be shot and not to rot in some display case.

Don´t treat the bow poorly and it will serve you for many years …

1 Like

lol it wasnt the title at the beginning but i changed it to fuck with my pal warriant.
Also i have never been able to get a very nice yew bow, but when i get new things i am usually very reluctant to use them because im just paranoid they will break.

Compounds are for people who want the mechanical advantage which cams afford and (mostly) who are willing to use mechanical releases.
recurves are for people who want to be more directly involved archery — for a further challenge one can use longbows, &c.
The skills transfer pretty well from one to the other, so don’t feel that you’ll be wasting time learning on one vs. the other.
An interesting hybrid are lever-limb compound bows which look (mostly) like recurves, but offer the mechanical advantage of compounds (most of them have cams) and allow one to dispense w/ a release and shoot fingers w/o having to worry about derailment:

1 Like

Oh, A bow thread. Wonderful.

I prefer Longbows, but Recurves would be also fine. I don´t like this Compound stuff…

I agree… I’ve got a 45# Martin Saber *nice little bow :smile:

Never did gravitate to the compounds, but after shooting a few… I can certainly appreciate what they have to offer.
Although my preference will always be towards the more traditional style bows, over and above these contemporary counterparts.

2 Likes